New Wick / Reservoir Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

jxmiller

ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2009
Looking for comments on a new atomizer juice delivery design.

Since we have a small piece of wick material inside the coil why not extend the wick into a reservoir filled with e-liquid? the flange where the wick goes into the reservoir can be made adjustable such that the amount of liquid that is wicked is adjustable and can also be cut off completely as to not "spill" or cause leaks when not in use.

The best way I can describe this is by the following picture. This is a simple oil candle.

3118EEW2JJL._SS500_.jpg

Instead of dripping it can just be filled (days worth?) with roughly 2ml of liquid (or more I suppose 20ml +). The coil can then be placed around the material just as it exits the reservoir. I would think that this would keep the wick wet at all times until the juice started running out of the reservoir.

This is to stop the constant refilling or dripping. Also if done correctly it would make replacing the wick as easy as pulling some extra out of the reservoir and cutting the old off. Then just wrap the coil around it... this leads into other ideas I have of modular coil design (I think I am going to leave that alone for now).

Thanks for any ideas to help me move forward with this.

jxmiller

ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2009
sounds almost like a zippo wick, you could do a drop down wick, have it go into the cart would probly be great with the slug mod v2 depending on the size of your wick it could keep you juiced all day. i like the idea what will you use for the wick material?

Whatever can withstand the heat. I have came across many links here in the forum, and the German forum uses something different as well. Both materials names escape me at the moment though. I actually have a design idea that encompasses the entire device but it is not yet finished. In that design the wicking happens from bottom up. You idea from top down would work as well but would require that the atomizer coil have sliding leads as you insert that "cart".

Silica Rope.. I believe is the name.

jxmiller

ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2009
Looks like a good idea but I believe many of the "lighter" type wicking rely on the volatility of the "juice" (lighter fluid) which allow the fluid to be drawn towards where it is evaporating fast ... like in a flame :)

Not sure how well juice would wick upwards.

I think testing this would be mildly simple on a rough scale test. Ever heard of Capillary Action? It deals with the meniscus you can see in test tubes filled with water. The water tends to "climb" up the sides of the tubes. Mercury, on the other hand, hangs down instead of climbing up. I believe this tells you how well or how much "Capillary Action" a liquid has.

Looking at my clear 20ml eyedropper bottle of e-liquid I see a distinct tendency to "Climb Up". Look for your self if you have one handy. :D

What may be of more concern is how fast does it wick. If you vape faster that it can replenish.. well then I suppose wicking down is the next step. Just in case I have already thought of an idea for that in a new design (another future thread) and joshua_95602 has mentioned it here as well.

Last edited:

a2dcovert

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Louisiana
I have actually tried to use this type of wick in a cart mod. The wick used in most of the new oil lamps is the same fiberglass material used in the 510 atty bridge.

What I found is that it does wick but it doesn't wick fast enough to supply the atty with enough juice. I used it as the filler material on a cart with the reservior straw mod. I tried several different density combinations but didn't come up with a satisfactory model. I was just sure this should work.

kinabaloo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
I did some experimenting with ceramic wicks in the past and suggest this as the way forward. What I have called 'direct feed' is probably the right approach. An alternative is to use a piezoelectric transducer feed a mist of droplets to the heater coil.

Also, I think it's important to avoid the design flaw of having leaky juice carts right next to the mouth. So lets have the juice reservoir behind the atomiser. Indeed, lets have a nozzle or valve that lets only expanded vapor pass out.

I'd love to work on these things but no free-time. But I hope someone can ...

ps: battery tech will advance, but juice delivery that does not involve frequent refilling and inconsistent performance requires a new design. Some articles on this at the link below. If you have the time and some ingenuity, right here is a problem that could literally help millions ...

Last edited:

jxmiller

ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2009
I did some experimenting with ceramic wicks in the past and suggest this as the way forward. What I have called 'direct feed' is probably the right approach. An alternative is to use a piezoelectric transducer feed a mist of droplets to the heater coil.

Also, I think it's important to avoid the design flaw of having leaky juice carts right next to the mouth. So lets have the juice reservoir behind the atomiser. Indeed, lets have a nozzle or valve that lets only expanded vapor pass out.

I'd love to work on these things but no free-time. But I hope someone can ...

ps: battery tech will advance, but juice delivery that does not involve frequent refilling and inconsistent performance requires a new design. Some articles on this at the link below. If you have the time and some ingenuity, right here is a problem that could literally help millions ...

Porous Ceramic... interesting. How about a cylindrical porous ceramic tube? The inside could hold the fiber wick material, which would probably wick better than the ceramic alone would, and the coil could be wrapped around the ceramic. the wick itself should never diminish nor need to be replaced and the porous ceramic, if needed, can be cleaned (doubt it would ever need it).

Porous-Ceramic-Filter-Pipe.jpg

nubee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2009
IL, USA
I think testing this would be mildly simple on a rough scale test. Ever heard of Capillary Action? It deals with the meniscus you can see in test tubes filled with water. The water tends to "climb" up the sides of the tubes. Mercury, on the other hand, hangs down instead of climbing up. I believe this tells you how well or how much "Capillary Action" a liquid has.

Looking at my clear 20ml eyedropper bottle of e-liquid I see a distinct tendency to "Climb Up". Look for your self if you have one handy. :D

What may be of more concern is how fast does it wick. If you vape faster that it can replenish.. well then I suppose wicking down is the next step. Just in case I have already thought of an idea for that in a new design (another future thread) and joshua_95602 has mentioned it here as well.

Yep, I've heard about capillary action - it has a lot to do with the viscosity of the solution you're working with. I feel ejuice is just too thick.

jxmiller

ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2009
Yep, I've heard about capillary action - it has a lot to do with the viscosity of the solution you're working with. I feel ejuice is just too thick.

I use pure PG and nicotine, very little flavoring. I can see the VG slowing down the wicking process. All is well though I believe I have a solution. After talking with Cisco in chat yesterday he mentioned suction as a possible solution. A carburetor could be used such that when closed it could (with the help of you sucking on the mouthpiece) get the fluid moving or replenished. This also works very well with the other idea I have (another future thread).

Edit:
To anyone reading this.
If you want to help, find me a way to model with a clear type of clay. I need something that ends up looking like glass so that the innards can be seen easily. It just needs to be able to be worked like clay, or similar.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread