New Vaper, and my so far experiences

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ritlee

Feb 18, 2014
United States
Ok so quick bio, smoked for 18 years. 1/2 pack to a pack a day. In the Army, anyone who's in the military can attest, quitting smoking is not an easy task to accomplish while in the military.

But I did it, almost a year ago.

Well kind of, it helped that I am in the reserves now, but still every drill weekend I had to have my cigarettes.

So two months ago I picked up an Ego starter kit (labeled as Everybody Vapes not Ego). Came with a 900mAh batt so wasn't too bad.

I was never quite happy with the hit, and still had 3 ciggs last drill (2 weeks ago), which is a lot better than the 30-40 smokes over 3 days :oops:.

Last week found a local shop that specialized in vaping, Level's Vape in South Sacramento if anyone cares, and the owner (one of?) actually taught me a few things that I didn't have a grasp on yet, and recommended a ProTank2 to me and set me on my way.

At first I was really happy and contently puffed big white puffy clouds. But one thing I wasn't getting was the throat hit I was used to with cigarettes and the clouds died down quite a bit.

Tried a lower resistance coil but still wasn't there. Then I tried the cotton mod to the coil. and was happy again.

But due to 18 years of always taking long drags off a smoke, and the tiny stock coils in a protank, that cotton burned out quickly (yes I wet it before firing the first time).

Today, I went back to Level's Vape and picked up some Kanthal Wire, 28g. I was hoping to get a nice W I D E coil that wasn't too hot for the cotton. I now have the wide coil, but it's a bit on the warm side yet, but that isn't so bad, because it takes the coil so long to warm up :laugh:

Next coil will be a 30 gauge wire and I think I'll be happy.

Oh and to get enough 28 gauge to fit in that tiny hole, I used a 2.0mm allen wrench to wrap on (mic'd out to 1.8 - 1.9mm) and my coil is a hot 1.5 ohms ;)

I have no wicking problems like I think I had before with the cotton mod alone.

CorallineAlgae

ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2014
Washington, LA
Sounds like you're on your way to becoming an expert! Glad to hear you found a way to improve your vape. I much prefer a cooler vape as well and find that a 2.4-2.8ohm coil gives me a softer, cooler hit. You may want to look into buying a variable watt battery device. It lets you customize how strong the throat hit will be with nearly any coil you are using. Check out the Innokin iTaste MVP or the Innokin VV V3. Both are inexpensive on a site like 101vape or ebay. Even a Vision Spinner would help you get a customizable vape with any coil.

Thank you for your military service. You guys are the best!

Ritlee

Feb 18, 2014
United States
Hey thanks guys

and as far as the Nic level affecting the TH, yeah the 18mg Lush (now 1.8% Jet Fuel) was actually dying down with both the disposable Carto, and with the ProTank 2. independent of battery voltage. I'm thinking it was more dependent on the cotton wicking the juice.

On a side note, where the heck do I go to edit my signature

Trying to fit This:
1364497200_15_1_USD_5_dark.png

in

CorallineAlgae

ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2014
Washington, LA
You can edit your signature in settings (link at the top right on this page).

I found 18mg way to strong for me. Even 12mg is a little to strong, and I smoked half a pack every day for years. Some people just don't need much nicotine to get satiated.

EDIT: Stosh is right. Forgot to check your post count.

Last edited:

chainvapor

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2010
Kodak TN
Yeah, I vaped 24mg for the first 3 years I vaped (onto 4 years now) and now I do 18mg in a tank and 6mg on my sub-ohm drippers! Amazing what sub-ohm vaping can do for throat hit without much nicotine needed. Anyway, I am still buying mods and playing around. It is a fun hobby. Just bought a Innokin VTR and waiting for it to come in the mail. Pretty excited about that one, got it for $69.99 on 101vapes.com.

CV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread