New to Vape!

Status
Not open for further replies.

VapeGirl30

Jul 5, 2016
Hello everyone. I'm kinda knew to this vape life. I want to get more knowledgeable than what I am. I am looking for a small but not too small mod to fit in my little hand. I also want to start dripping but am intimidated by it. Any suggestions or advice is much appreciated. [emoji189]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
No reason to be intimated by using a dripper atomizer. As long as you use it on a regulated mod, it's not too scary. Even better is that there isn't the wicking worries of a rebuildable tank. As long as the coils are good (attached securely) and there is about the right amount of cotton, you're good to go!
Maybe the iStick Pico would be a good choice?

dcfluegel

Shenaniganator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2015
Cleveland TN
something to consider - smaller mod typically means less battery capacity - so, depending on what you are vaping (in regards to wattage/ power level), may be swapping batteries/ charging frequently... personally, would suggest a removable battery mod (like the pico, as dj suggested) and an external charger (while some mods support usb charging, i don't tend to use it - personally more comfortable charging batteries on a battery charger, and considering you can get a good 2 bay charger for $20 or less, generally, the safety margin is worth it, imo - also, when mod runs down, all you have to do is swap out batteries, not wait for charge (and generally, trying to vape while charging is not great for the board/ chipset - passthrough charging is not a great feature, imo))... if you do use removable batteries, make sure you always carry spares in cases or silicone battery sleeves (do NOT care nekkid batteries - not only is it damaging to their self esteem, can cause issues if they come in contact with other metal objects in purse, bag, pocket (keys, change, pruning shears, purloined silverware, etc))

VapeGirl30

Jul 5, 2016
something to consider - smaller mod typically means less battery capacity - so, depending on what you are vaping (in regards to wattage/ power level), may be swapping batteries/ charging frequently... personally, would suggest a removable battery mod (like the pico, as dj suggested) and an external charger (while some mods support usb charging, i don't tend to use it - personally more comfortable charging batteries on a battery charger, and considering you can get a good 2 bay charger for $20 or less, generally, the safety margin is worth it, imo - also, when mod runs down, all you have to do is swap out batteries, not wait for charge (and generally, trying to vape while charging is not great for the board/ chipset - passthrough charging is not a great feature, imo))... if you do use removable batteries, make sure you always carry spares in cases or silicone battery sleeves (do NOT care nekkid batteries - not only is it damaging to their self esteem, can cause issues if they come in contact with other metal objects in purse, bag, pocket (keys, change, pruning shears, purloined silverware, etc))
I typically run 30w. Can't handle much higher yet. Thank you

Reactions: dcfluegel

JimZet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2015
Hi and Welcome ;)
Pico could be nice if you're looking for a small mod.
Personally i recommend you different mod, something with 2 batteries ( for example SMOK H-Priv 200W is pretty good and stylish and powerful ), you don't wanna get disappointed with 1-battery mod when u'll need to recharge it every couple hours ( 2-5h depends on how much you vape ).

Personally i prefer a beast with 3 batteries (RX200 ( RX200S ).) Ofc its heavy but its great plus i can use it for almost full day, though i still have 2 sets of batteries in case im out of battery i just switch it at home (3*LG 3000MAh and 3*SONY VTC5).

Also about charging, very important to buy an external charger, don't charge your batteries trough mod USB port, i can say from my experience that with time it starts charging batteries with different volume and it shows you that the battery is full while in reality u'll have 1 fully charged battery and one half dead +-, plus its not as safe as a good external charger. I've got this one - Authentic XTAR VC4 4 Slots Li-ion Ni-MH Premium USB Battery Charger.

About dripping, woah, trust me, there is nothing to intimate about,once you try it u'll never go back to normal atomizers.
I've got TFV4 which is like the top atomizer out there and once i got my Velocity RDA i rarely touch my TFV4.
Thought i've ordered TFV8, i still wanna do atomizers some times, but yeah RDA FOREVER!

Oh yeah almost forgot, buy ONLY SONY VTC5 batteries, LG HG2 are good also but SONY VTC5 is the best, if u'll wanna save money on vaping save on anything you want but NOT BATTERIES, thats your safety, you don't wanna buy any efest batteries for sure!

Last edited:
Reactions: VapeGirl30

Continuity

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2015
NW, UK
I'll put in a punt for Samsung 25R and 30Q cells - cheap, widely available and known to be good, safe performers.

As for a suitable dripper, that has a lot to do with how you like your vape - cool, warm, MTL/DTL, single-coil, dual coil etc.

Personally, I tend to like MTL drippers that are single-coil flavour centered, rather than dual-coil cloud chuckers.

SuckMyVape

Jun 19, 2016
Ontario, Canada
Hello & welcome!!

I'm new to vaping as well (one month today without analogs - yay!!!) Anyway, I started with a E Com-C Twist and after a couple weeks, started using the iStick 30W, first with the Nautilus Mini for MTL draws, then slipstreamed it for lung draws (at 11.5W with the 1.8ohm coil) and now I'm using the Melo III at 25W for direct lung draws with the .5ohm coil and I LOVE it!! Eventually, I will move up to a mod that will produce higher wattage, I'm sure. I am under the impression that dripping is up there in knowledge and skill with rebuilding coils...that's just my impression and I (obviously) could be wrong but regardless, I do see myself getting up there after a while though.

Happy vaping!!

SMV

Reactions: VapeGirl30

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I typically run 30w. Can't handle much higher yet. Thank you

If you run around 30W, a 2 battery solution will last you through the day. A bit large, though, if you're talking about something to fit your hand and easy to stuff in a pocket or small bag. A single battery like a Pico can work as well, but you might need to carry an extra battery with you to swap in if you find the run time too short.

Personally, if small is a key feature, get the Pico and an extra battery and see how it goes. The good part of that approach is the Pico is very affordable, and even if you decide to get something bigger (eventually you will) that little Pico will be handy to have.

Good luck!

dcfluegel

Shenaniganator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2015
Cleveland TN
Oh yeah almost forgot, buy ONLY SONY VTC5 batteries, LG HG2 are good also but SONY VTC5 is the best, if u'll wanna save money on vaping save on anything you want but NOT BATTERIES, thats your safety, you don't wanna buy any efest batteries for sure!

would have to respectfully disagree with sony vtc5 being the 'best' battery - for starters, the 'best' battery is going to depend on the application, completely... for my mechs - i use sony vtc4 - better CDR amp ratings for lower ohm builds... for regulateds, it is a toss up between either sonyvtc5/samsung 25r/ lg he4 or samsung 30q/ lg hg2, depending on whether i am going to be running higher amp draw (vtc5/25r/ he 4 a little better in this regard) or lower amp draw and longer life (30q/ hg2 better)... the sony vtc 5 is a very decent battery, but if you'll take a look at Mooch's bench tests and results, it is by no means going to be considered the 'best' - just my two cents

Reactions: Continuity

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    Greetings and welcome to ECF!

You've gotten some decent advice so far so I'll just add a bit.

If your regularly vaping 30W a single battery (18650) mod is not going to last you all day. This can be mitigated by outfitting your car and place of work with a USB charge cord so you can top off your battery while on the go or busy at work.

If your planning on replacing batteries I'd recommend the VTC mini over the eLeaf Pico. The VTC has a simple and easy to use magnetic battery door while the Pico's battery cap needs to be screwed on/off. (I generally have to remove whatever tank I have mounted as well to get it off, hence I never replace it, just put it on a USB charge cord)

I agree with the others in that if you want all day usage without charging or replacing batteries then a dual 18650 mod would be more fitting.

Vape1000RR

Jul 6, 2016
    Bay Area, CA
    Started vaping as well. About a year ago, had a Sigelei 150TC but it was way too big for me as I was used to just holding 1 analog, not the whole pack. Anyways, what I found perfect to vape on most of the day at 30-35 watts at 0.5 ohm is the IPV D3 and EVIC VTWO Mini. I use the Tobeco Mini Super Tank and I find it to be the perfect combination.

I use LG HG2 18650 3000mAH batteries and I switch them out once during the day. I start with a freshly charged one in the morning with my cup of coffee and when I'm out, I usually switch out for a new fresh battery around halfway during the day.

My choice would be the VTWO mini as it has a puff counter and for some reason, I like knowing when I exceed a certain amount of puffs as I sometimes overdue the nicotine (I am still new). But , that is just my personal opinion. Good luck!

Make sure whatever you buy will suit your needs for the next six months or so - so that you do not waste a lot of money on unnecessary devices.

Don't forget a variable wattage device with two batteries offers in some cases all the way down to 5W and up to 100W+. It also offers the simplicity of not having to change batteries as frequently.

Although the temperature control(TC) does NOT work, the Sigelei Fuchai 213 is very small, comes in multiple colors, and is pretty cheap. It's around $40... I think, and has dual 18650 batteries. If you're thinking of doing TC in the future don't buy it.

I did not read all of the above posts and I do not know where you live, but the FDA is passing rules which may make it harder to buy LiPo battery packs so if you are considering new gear get one that supports a single or dual 18650, which is the most common battery out there in use for vaping.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread