New to Vamo and rechargables - could use some advice/help

Status
Not open for further replies.

thompsondd

ECF Veteran
Sep 9, 2013
East Coast
I just graduated to the next level I guess, moving from eGo batteries up to a Vamo V3.

Picked up some AW IMR 18650 and 18350 batteries based on advice from the ECF (thanks!!!)

I understand the benefit of running a single 18350 is the compactness of the overall length.

However, I am a little confused when it comes to a single 18650 vs stacked 18350s. For some reason, I thought a single 18650 would be 'better' than stacked 18350s.

I popped in my first 18650 yesterday after the 18350s that were in it got to that point where they needed a charge. This was the first time I had used an 18650, which had fully charged and rested for a day. I am using a xtar V1 charger (again, based on ECF advice - thanks again!!) for the 18650s.

It seemed the output power of the single 18650 was less than two stacked 18350s. Is that right? When I checked the battery, the V3 read 4.2V for the 18650. I have gotten used to seeing dual 18350s read 7 (something)V. *I don't remember exactly and they are on the charger at the moment.

So, here are my questions.

1) Does this sound right?

and

2) What is the advantage/disadvantages of a single 18650 vs dual stacked 18350s?

Thanks in advance!!!

I love the ECF!!!

SilverZero

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 20, 2013
Illinois, USA
When you use stacked 18350s they have to be a matched pair. Charged at the same time everything the same.

This, you could have problems if one battery has more of a charge than the other. And I wouldn't go by what your charger says, I would use a multimeter to make sure they are equally charged before using them. I've also seen it recommended that you shoudn't always have the same battery on top and the same one on the bottom, that you need to rotate them. Not sure how valid that is but it seems like it would be a good idea.

The voltage you are seeing is correct. If you are running your VAMO at high wattages, like over 11W, then you will probably notice a performance bump with stacked 18350s in there. If you aren't running that high then I would stick with a single 18650 since you'll get more vape time out of it.

Some people stack all the time but I don't bother, I like having one less thing to worry about.

thompsondd

ECF Veteran
Sep 9, 2013
East Coast
This, you could have problems if one battery has more of a charge than the other. And I wouldn't go by what your charger says, I would use a multimeter to make sure they are equally charged before using them. I've also seen it recommended that you shoudn't always have the same battery on top and the same one on the bottom, that you need to rotate them. Not sure how valid that is but it seems like it would be a good idea.

The voltage you are seeing is correct. If you are running your VAMO at high wattages, like over 11W, then you will probably notice a performance bump with stacked 18350s in there. If you aren't running that high then I would stick with a single 18650 since you'll get more vape time out of it.

Some people stack all the time but I don't bother, I like having one less thing to worry about.

I'm still running the same 18650 from earlier. Curious to see how long it lasts.

I had been using the dual stacked 18350s since that is what the Vamo came with.

I generally charge the 18350s together until fully charged (according to the charger). Never paid attention to which one came from which position, went into which battery charger channel and therefore which one went back in what position. More than likely they have been flipped flopped at some point.

I haven't used just a single 18350 yet because I have been too lazy to unscrew the long tube and make it a shorty.

Pretty pathetic.

Thanks for all the advice and info.

footbag

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2010
NEPA
I haven't used just a single 18350 yet because I have been too lazy to unscrew the long tube and make it a shorty.

It's worth a try. I tried it for the first time a week ago and really like the shorter profile. Of course, for reasons I don't understand, I get a better vape with two stacked. Only slightly better, but better.

mainevaper

ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2013
maine
It's worth a try. I tried it for the first time a week ago and really like the shorter profile. Of course, for reasons I don't understand, I get a better vape with two stacked. Only slightly better, but better.

1 18350 or 18650 has a max voltage of 4.2v. By stacking, you are doubling the voltage, so... if you are vaping at say 4.8v, the vamo has to boost that 4.2v battery up to 4.8, with stacked batts, you would have 8.4v, so instead of the vamo having to boost the power, it can scale it down, which makes it more effective.

TrickyRicky71

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2012
Clinton Twp, MI
I'm still running the same 18650 from earlier. Curious to see how long it lasts.

I had been using the dual stacked 18350s since that is what the Vamo came with.

I generally charge the 18350s together until fully charged (according to the charger). Never paid attention to which one came from which position, went into which battery charger channel and therefore which one went back in what position. More than likely they have been flipped flopped at some point.

Pretty pathetic.

Thanks for all the advice and info.

I use one 18650 in my vamo and get just about 2 full days of use before I have to switch my battery and it basically never leaves my face, even at work I use it. I don't stack batteries either and have thought about scaling back on bat to shorten that monster up a bit but I've gotten use to it and its working really well so if ain't broke don't fix it

thompsondd

ECF Veteran
Sep 9, 2013
East Coast
I use one 18650 in my vamo and get just about 2 full days of use before I have to switch my battery and it basically never leaves my face, even at work I use it. I don't stack batteries either and have thought about scaling back on bat to shorten that monster up a bit but I've gotten use to it and its working really well so if ain't broke don't fix it

My first 18650 only lasted a little more than a full day. Let's call it one day+.

I'm still relatively new to vaping and only off cigs for 3-4 months so I'm vaping long hard and strong trying to stay off the cigs.

Given my current situation, I can apparently suck a tank AND battery dry pretty dang fast.

Of course, this was a brand new 18650 that hasn't been slow cycled/charged so I expected it to dissipate quickly.

Trayce

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2013
Multiversal
This, you could have problems if one battery has more of a charge than the other. And I wouldn't go by what your charger says, I would use a multimeter to make sure they are equally charged before using them.

Good advice with the caveat that the OP says he has an XTAR VP1... this is an advanced charger with an LED screen and built in VM that reads each batt bay / charges each separately. I have an XTAR VP1 too, and tested its readout with my VM. It was within .02v and is touted as being very accurate by the flashlight forums that are into batts and chargers (mostly law enforcement). This is why I bought this charger, so I wouldn't have to pull out my VM after every charge... just glance at the LED and see what the battery state is... going in AND coming out.

But I would advise to check with a VM at least once in the beginning to make sure the unit is not faulty... :D then maybe just every so often a double check is a good idea. Especially if stacking batts.

EDIT: Xtar VP1 Digital Charger (digital display)

Last edited:

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
Vamo, and most any VV/VW mod, uses a "buck/boost" circuit to manage power. The "buck" potion is a regulator which is quite efficient and does not use much power to operate. The "boost" portion, pushing the voltage up to achieve higher voltage or total power is rather inefficient and does consume significant power to operate, shortening the amount of time a single charge can last.

A single 18xxx battery supplies a nominal 3.6 volts. Most of them are rated at 3.7 volts, but that is really a stretch for advertising purposes. The result is that, especially in RMS wattage mode, the boost circuit has to work hard to raise the voltage of the battery to 6 volts, which is then switched on and off for varying time based on the actual power setting. Here is a link to a blog that talks about a "real world" type test of a single 18650/2000mah versus a stack of two 18350/800mah batteries. The test was conducted using computer controlled, professional grade, test equipment and is very "illuminating". I am not advocating stacking batteries in any way, but it is interesting to note that batteries are routinely stacked in many devices without a lot of problems, tactical flashlights being an example.

http://leosedf.blogspot.co.uk/2013/0...tery-test.html

(to be read at double speed)
Just my opinion, worth what you're paying for it. Your results and mileage may vary. No warranty or guarantee is expressed or implied. Proceed at your own risk. The end user agrees to hold the poster harmless and without liability. I am not a scientist, chemist or physicist and hold no academic degrees, nor do I play any of them on TV.

thompsondd

ECF Veteran
Sep 9, 2013
East Coast
Good advice with the caveat that the OP says he has an XTAR VP1... this is an advanced charger with an LED screen and built in VM that reads each batt bay / charges each separately. I have an XTAR VP1 too, and tested its readout with my VM. It was within .02v and is touted as being very accurate by the flashlight forums that are into batts and chargers (mostly law enforcement). This is why I bought this charger, so I wouldn't have to pull out my VM after every charge... just glance at the LED and see what the battery state is... going in AND coming out.

But I would advise to check with a VM at least once in the beginning to make sure the unit is not faulty... :D then maybe just every so often a double check is a good idea. Especially if stacking batts.

EDIT: Xtar VP1 Digital Charger (digital display)

I can't say enough good things about the VP1. I am glad I found out about it before going with just some run of the mill charger. Thanks to the ECF for that one. BTW - I ordered my VP1 from Avid. Good folks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread