new to the e-cigarette thing

Status
Not open for further replies.

acorn54

ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2010
new york
really have only started learning about e-cigarettes since yesterday and i am very interested in trying one out.
i am a heavy smoker, smoke 2 and half packs of roll ur own cigs a day
what i want in an e-cigarette is one that most simulates a cigarette, especially nicotine absorption into the blood stream and throat hit.
what e-cig model most closely fit this description?
how long does a battery last before it has to be recharged, and how long does re-charging take anyway. if various models have various battery life i would like to know the model number for comparison.
on the two piece units such as the 808 is one cartridge of nicotine equivalent to one pack of real cigs?
if one wanted to compute on a per pack basis of real cigarettes, how much would an e-cig cost per pack.
here in new york cigarettes are now 11 dollars a pack average.
i know i have asked alot of questions but i think the answers to these questions are what alot of newbies would like to know.

audio

ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2010
Nebraska
Welcome acorn,

If you want one that looks like a real cigarette, the batteries will probably only last a couple of hours before they need to be recharged. It will probably take a couple of hours to recharge.

From what I've read here, nicotine from cigarette smoking is delivered a bit differently than from vaping. No e-cig will deliver nicotine like a real cigarette. Also, keep in mind the cigarette smoke has carbon monoxide and carbon dioxide which are not replicated by vaping.

A full cartridge is nowhere close to a pack of cigarettes. The 808 doesn't have a "cartridge" it has a cartomizer which is a cartridge plus atomizer in a single unit. Cartomizers tend to hold more juice than cartridges, but still nowhere near a pack of smokes.

I recommend that you pick a model that's popular on these forums and ask questions specific to that model. Some e-cigs and some juices are more expensive than others, and if you ask how the cost compares to real cigarettes you'll get answers all over the map and it'll just make your head spin. Compared to $11.00 per pack, you'll definitely save money with vaping. And there are other reasons why vaping is better than smoking.

Good Luck!

I was at least a 2PAD smoker. I started with an Ego, while my wife who smoked less than me started with a regular 510 unit. I can only say for me, that had I started with a regular 510 or something cig sized that I don`t believe I would have made it. Ecigs are a bit of a hassle until you figure them out, and by eliminating one hassle, constant battery charging, it made my experience a more pleasurable experience. So my recommendation is something larger than the size of a cig to save some frustration with constant battery changing/charging.

tlc

ECF Veteran
May 27, 2009
Appleton WI
Welcome acorn54!! When I first heard about e-cigs about a year ago, I spent close to a week on this forum just reading and gathering info. If you are willing to give it a shot, this is the best place to be. As far as what to start out with, you will have to look around and see what seems to be a good fit for you. Everyone has their own opinions... what some like, others don't. I started out with a 510 because the initial investment was affordable and I wanted to see if vaping would work for me before I spent alot of money on it. You want something easy to use, with as little maintenance as possible to start with, otherwise you won't stick with it. I think the 510 is perfect for beginners... just my 2 cents. Good luck!

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
what i want in an e-cigarette is one that most simulates a cigarette, especially nicotine absorption into the blood stream and throat hit.
Nicotine from cigarettes is absorbed from the smoke through the lungs.
It is spiked with ammonia to provide freebase nicotine for better and faster absorption.

Nicotine from vaping is absorbed mostly from the mouth and throat linings according to most of the things I've read, and it is absorbed much more slowly, so you're not going to find an electronic cigarette that will simulate the nicotine absorption from regular cigarettes.

Using regular cigarettes you get spikes of nicotine rushes, followed by crashes and cravings for more. With electronic cigarettes it is starting to look like we probably get less nicotine at once, but it might be building slowly over time to a more steady and constant level.

Much of the above is speculation, but it makes sense to me based on my experiences and from reading the experiences of many others.

how long does a battery last before it has to be recharged, and how long does re-charging take anyway. if various models have various battery life i would like to know the model number for comparison.
The bigger the battery the longer it will last, and the less it will look like a cigarette.

Also, longer lasting batteries generally take longer to recharge.
An exception to that is the eGo battery if you get the quick-charger.

If you want to use smaller batteries and are worried about having to stop to recharge them often, you can get something called a Portable Charging Case (PCC) which is about the size of a pack of cigarettes and allows you to recharge batteries while you are out and about.

You can also get various passthru devices so you can plug your electronic cigarette directly into wall outlets, car lighters, or computer USB ports without having to use your batteries.

Last edited:

HeatherC

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2010
New York
I was a 2-2.5 pack a day smoker...and since I got my DSE901 on june 16 I have not smoked a single cigarette!!! My husband was initially displeased with his 901 til he tried a direct hit from it...now he loves it. It does take a little getting used to...however even while you're learning what works best for you...you're not smoking.
I was diagnosed with a condition called pleurisy about 2 months ago...after an ER visit cuz the pain in my chest was horrible and I was afraid I was having a heart attack at 38 yrs old. Pleurisy is an inflammation of the lining of the lungs and my doc said it's not caused by smoking but that smoking aggrevates it significantly. Since I started vaping there is no more chest pain!!! It was pretty easy for me to switch...pain is a strong motivator LOL

Hellen A. Handbasket

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2009
San Tan Valley, Arizona
Welcome acorn! This is a great place to start reading on ECF: The ECF Library - E-Cigarette Forum There are some terrific Sticky threads to read that will give you some solid information on e-cigs. The series of "The Wonderful World of Vaping" is a great place to start off to understand what you will need to know before selecting an e-cig.

We're all here for you so don't hesitate to ask questions!

acorn54

ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2010
new york
thanks to all of you
i went to the cignot site and see they have the 510 in various forms.
i don't need the usb thingy.
battery is either automatic or manual. can someone please expain the pros and cons of each?
also one 510 kit comes with a pcc. what is this?
the one 510 kit that comes with no box is only 35 dollars. what is the box used for if you order it with your kit.

Youthful313

ECF Veteran
May 23, 2010
Ann Arbor/Ypsilanti, MI
You don't really need a box. I think they just take it out to save on shipping so you can get the kit cheaper. I personally like manual batts b/c there is no cut off (meaning you can just hit the 510 till your blue in the face, auto batts usually have a 5 sec cut off then you gotta wait a couple sec before you hit it again). Another con to auto batts is sometimes they'll just go off in your pocket which will either fry your atty or drain your batt, both is not good for biz. A PCC is just a case you charge that will charge you batts while your out and about, recommended if you get a 510 or 808.

Zenfrogs

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2010
Virginia
I started with an 808 but my mom had a 510 and I liked the 510 taste better with the atomizers...4 months in I got sick of dealing with tons of batteries and ordered an eGo... I am still on the same battery I was using yesterday afternoon...with the smaller e-cgis I would have been on my 3rd battery by now. I wish I had spent more in the beginning because I would have saved in the long run and with and eGo or similiar if it doesn't work out you could sell it in the classifieds. With the smaller ones 510/808 etc you need to have a few batteries in rotation and they add up at 12- to 16- a pop . You can do it with two but it is a bit of a pain IMHOP... good luck!

deannaAlex

ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2010
So.Texas
Hi, I noticed you use an Ego. What kind of carts do you use? Currently I am using cartridges that I have to fill often. it's a pain. I was hoping for some input from an Ego user :)
Thanks
Alex
I was at least a 2PAD smoker. I started with an Ego, while my wife who smoked less than me started with a regular 510 unit. I can only say for me, that had I started with a regular 510 or something cig sized that I don`t believe I would have made it. Ecigs are a bit of a hassle until you figure them out, and by eliminating one hassle, constant battery charging, it made my experience a more pleasurable experience. So my recommendation is something larger than the size of a cig to save some frustration with constant battery changing/charging.

radicaljd

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 16, 2010
San Antonio, Texas
I started vaping e-cigarettes about a month ago, after being a pack-and-a-half-a-day smoker for many years. I stumbled and went back to analogs (tobacco cigarettes) because I made the mistake of ordering a terrible product from BluCigs.com. Terrible battery, very inconsistent vapor, and expensive cartridges.

About a week ago, I received my Joye eGo, a cousin of the 510. It has tremendous vapor with consistent performance, and a battery that lasts all day! I have not touched a tobacco cigarette since starting with my eGo, and haven't even had a slight desire to go back. In fact, I still have an almost full pack of Marlboro Lights sitting in my drawer gathering dust.

The Joye eGo is a bit thicker and longer than a regular cigarette, but not as long as the "pen style" e-cigs. I'm extremely happy with it. I feel so much better physically, no smoke smell, my nonsmoker wife has gone back to kissing me like when we first met, and no more hacking cough. Most of all, I have no desire to smoke... vaping does it for me.

RadicalJD

deannaAlex

ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2010
So.Texas
i happy with the battery on the ego too. I haven't touched a cigarette since May 2010. I love vaping!
I started vaping e-cigarettes about a month ago, after being a pack-and-a-half-a-day smoker for many years. I stumbled and went back to analogs (tobacco cigarettes) because I made the mistake of ordering a terrible product from BluCigs.com. Terrible battery, very inconsistent vapor, and expensive cartridges.

About a week ago, I received my Joye eGo, a cousin of the 510. It has tremendous vapor with consistent performance, and a battery that lasts all day! I have not touched a tobacco cigarette since starting with my eGo, and haven't even had a slight desire to go back. In fact, I still have an almost full pack of Marlboro Lights sitting in my drawer gathering dust.

The Joye eGo is a bit thicker and longer than a regular cigarette, but not as long as the "pen style" e-cigs. I'm extremely happy with it. I feel so much better physically, no smoke smell, my nonsmoker wife has gone back to kissing me like when we first met, and no more hacking cough. Most of all, I have no desire to smoke... vaping does it for me.

RadicalJD

audio

ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2010
Nebraska
Hi, I noticed you use an Ego. What kind of carts do you use? Currently I am using cartridges that I have to fill often. it's a pain. I was hoping for some input from an Ego user :)
Thanks
Alex

Hi deanna! eGo user here. Have you tried the highping cart mod?

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/cartridge-mods/79418-highping-cart-mod-simple-gets.html

It's very simple and it's working very well for me. You get a lot more juice in you're cart so that you don't have to refill as often. To refill, take the filler out (tweezers) and drop juice in, put the filler back in, top it off with a few drops if necessary, put a couple of drops on your atty, and you're ready to go. Takes about as much time as opening a pack of cigarettes.

BiffRocko

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
San Diego, CA USA
I noticed you use an Ego. What kind of carts do you use?

I got the mega atomizers and the mega carts from Totally Wicked yesterday. I filled 3 (not even completely full) and I've switching between them and vaping heavily for going on 14 hours now. None of them are close to empty.

I also have the mega batteries and I'm still on my first charge.

Edit: My first battery just died. I did the math again and it was actually 15.5 hours.

Last edited:

radicaljd

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 16, 2010
San Antonio, Texas
Hi deanna! eGo user here. Have you tried the highping cart mod?

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/cartridge-mods/79418-highping-cart-mod-simple-gets.html

It's very simple and it's working very well for me. You get a lot more juice in you're cart so that you don't have to refill as often. To refill, take the filler out (tweezers) and drop juice in, put the filler back in, top it off with a few drops if necessary, put a couple of drops on your atty, and you're ready to go. Takes about as much time as opening a pack of cigarettes.

I just started using a similar method, but using blue foam squares from strictlyejuice.com. You can get big sheets of the stuff from pet stores or Walmart and cut it yourself, but at 75 cents for a pack of 10, I personally think it's worth avoiding the hassle.

The blue foam just sits at the top of the cart, and it lasts much longer than the original filling.

RadicalJD

cliff5550

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2009
West Central Illinois - USA
acorn54 - From a former 2.5 pack a day smoker who smoked for 45 years. Haven't had a cigarette for more than a year because of ecigs.

Most newcomers ask for an ecig that looks as near as possible to a cigarette. Like what they are used to. We did too. But we soon found that particular size means a shorter-life battery. The Joye 510 model (such as Cignot offers) is a very good style and many stay with it.
I could get 2-3 hours between charges and my wife could get more.
We switched to the eGo style about six weeks ago and could not be more pleased. It is larger than a cigarette style but not uncomfortable in handling. I get 8-10 hours between charges and my wife has gotten as much as 12-14 hours.
We use standard Joye 510 atomizers on our eGos. No special eGo atomizers required.
You will want to also order some nicotine liquid or juice so you don't run out and face jumping back to a regular cigarette. There are many highly recommended vendors on the forum site. I have stayed with tobacco flavors but, as someone else pointed out, it never tastes exactly like what you are used to. But it is good.
I'm sure there are going to be many, many more answering your questions.
Welcome, relax, read and ask a ton of questions. You won't find a friendlier group anywhere on the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread