New to all this... why mod eGo cartridge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilverStrings

Aug 16, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Hi guys,

First post. Just got the eGo starter kit today and threw out my cigarettes. Feel pretty good so far, def better than the nicotine gum

Anyway, I've seen at least a hundred threads on how to mod cartridges (polyfill/foam/pyramid tea bags) but I dont fully understand the reasons behind doing all this. Cant I just pour eliquid into the cartridge? THis is what I did just now.. will it evaporate quicker or something without the filler in there?

Also, how many puffs can I expect to get from a full cartridge? Will the number be affected by use of polyfill/foam?

Thanks in advance

Brewtus

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.highdesertvapes.com
^^ What Petem said...

Your carts should have already come pre-stuffed with polyfil or whatever they use. And personally, I would not do the tea bag method...now before I get flamed too bad, I just want to state for the record that I can attribute at least 1 dead atty to this mod. Maybe I didn't do it right or whatever, but I advise against it.

Just put a couple of drops in the cart every now and then (you can taste it when the cart gets low) and you should be fine. Plus empty carts are cheap enough that you can buy a few extra for less than a bottle of juice and be set for a long time.

SilverStrings

Aug 16, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Thanks guys. So if I put some polyfill it will soak in some of the eLiquid, and therefore it will burn slower and last longer?

I just watched a fluval vs. polyfill instructional video (Cant post links yet, it's YouTube - cozzcon's Channel ). That guy said that fluval can leak and soak the atty :( . Think I'll go with polyfill for now... there's already a very little bit of it in the cartridge. And I'll probably carry the liquid around everywhere until I figure out how many puffs I get off a loaded cartridge

Xanax

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2010
East Coast
I know of a REALLY good cart mod... It'll make vaping so much easier and all of your juices will taste 100% better and you'll never taste burnt plastic from carts again... It's called a DRIP TIP!!

Btw welcome to the community and congrats on makingthe switch! This is a great community to be a part of, lots of useful information on here.

SilverStrings

Aug 16, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I know of a REALLY good cart mod... It'll make vaping so much easier and all of your juices will taste 100% better and you'll never taste burnt plastic from carts again... It's called a DRIP TIP!!

Btw welcome to the community and congrats on makingthe switch! This is a great community to be a part of, lots of useful information on here.

thanks. I've seen the term "dripping" used a lot in these threads, so much that it's hard to get a good search result that explains what it is. Can someone give a brief explanation?

SIlverstrings....dripping...take a blank cartridge...no stuffing

drip 2 or 3 drops of juice right on to the atomizer....stick the blank cartridge back on...puff away until it starts to lose taste...pull off the cart....2 or 3 drops of juice...repeat

The simpler way is to replace the cartridge with a "drip tip"....no filler or anything.....the drip tip just lets you add fluid into the end without taking anything apart

SilverStrings

Aug 16, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
SIlverstrings....dripping...take a blank cartridge...no stuffing

drip 2 or 3 drops of juice right on to the atomizer....stick the blank cartridge back on...puff away until it starts to lose taste...pull off the cart....2 or 3 drops of juice...repeat

The simpler way is to replace the cartridge with a "drip tip"....no filler or anything.....the drip tip just lets you add fluid into the end without taking anything apart

I see. Interesting... that's pretty much what I'm doing now when I'm filling up the cartridge w/o any filler. I'm noticing that the first 5-7 puffs are the nicest. I keep having some of the solution drip out through the tip tho, and having to wipe it off my lips because swallowing it is not very pleasant (thats what she said)

War Mouse

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 17, 2010
Bay City MI
Two or three drips in the atty is definately my preference but my buddy, who got me into this, swears by cartomizers. It's really all about personal preference. I too had trouble finding stuff out about dripping, but its not too hard to figure out. If it leaks out the bottom of your atty, that was too much. If it tastes like crap or has no vapor, not enough.

SilverStrings

Aug 16, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Two or three drips in the atty is definately my preference but my buddy, who got me into this, swears by cartomizers. It's really all about personal preference. I too had trouble finding stuff out about dripping, but its not too hard to figure out. If it leaks out the bottom of your atty, that was too much. If it tastes like crap or has no vapor, not enough.

What's the deal with cartomizers? If I already have an eGo with an atomizer, would I not be using the original atomizer with cartomizers? Seems like a waste of money while the orig atomizer is working, unless the quality is a lot better of something

Xanax

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2010
East Coast
thanks. I've seen the term "dripping" used a lot in these threads, so much that it's hard to get a good search result that explains what it is. Can someone give a brief explanation?

Dripping is just using your E-liquid to put a few drops directly into the center of the atomizer, eliminating the cartrige. Cartriges are known to give off foul tastes due to the polyfil melting (the stuff that holds the juice in the cart and delivers it to the atomizer). A drip tip is just a mouth piece (comes in various metals like aluminum, stainless steel, or even just delrin) that fits on your atomizer making dripping less of a pain in the ..... The drip tip has a hollowed out center so there is no need to remove a blank cart to add drops to the atomizer, just drip into the center and you're good to go :).

A cartomizer on the other hand... A cartomizer is sort of like an Atomizer and a cartrige combined, although there is no "cart" on the end. The "atomizer" part IS the mouth piece you recieve vapor from. It is basically an atomizer stuffed with the polyfil that comes in carts, that you add juice to and vape it til it's dry, and refill. Cartomizers hold a lot more juice than the regular atomizer/ cartrige combination does, which makes vaping on the go a lot easier, specially if you're a busy person that uses your hands a lot. They don't last as long as atomizers do, but they tend to be cheaper when buying in bulk. Although, there is a lot of debate going on about whether it's safe to inhale the burning/melting polyfil inside after the cartomizer has exceeded its recommended life spam. Hope this helped, and hope that if I made any mistakes on the information I've given that someone will come and correct me. Feel free, people!

SilverStrings

Aug 16, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Xanax, thanks a lot. That was a great reply, a lot of information. I think I will consider buying some drip tips next time I order liquid, which will probably be this week. I only got 2 bottles x 10ml and I'm nervous about running out, plus I wanna try more flavors :vapor:. If ya guys have flavor suggestions lemme know, although I'm sure theres a ton of threads on this I need to go roam the forum

lmrasch

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 21, 2010
Oregon
I see. Interesting... that's pretty much what I'm doing now when I'm filling up the cartridge w/o any filler. I'm noticing that the first 5-7 puffs are the nicest. I keep having some of the solution drip out through the tip tho, and having to wipe it off my lips because swallowing it is not very pleasant (thats what she said)

If I understand you correctly, you are filling up an empty cartridge w/o the filler? If so, that is why you are getting juice in your mouth....it could also flood your atomizer...Suggestion, blow out your atty and then drip 3-4 drops to prime it, that should produce a nice vapor and throat hit w/o a mouth full of juice or flooding the atty. When the taste and vapor decrease add 2-3 drops more, repeat...enjoy!
The first couple of days I was flooding the atty and getting mouthfuls of liquid...the liquid didn't taste that bad, but boy was I buzzing! :blink:

SilverStrings

Aug 16, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
If I understand you correctly, you are filling up an empty cartridge w/o the filler? If so, that is why you are getting juice in your mouth....it could also flood your atomizer...Suggestion, blow out your atty and then drip 3-4 drops to prime it, that should produce a nice vapor and throat hit w/o a mouth full of juice or flooding the atty. When the taste and vapor decrease add 2-3 drops more, repeat...enjoy!
The first couple of days I was flooding the atty and getting mouthfuls of liquid...the liquid didn't taste that bad, but boy was I buzzing! :blink:

I see... just cut apart the pillow I bought at Target. It says the filling is 100% polyester fibers, this should work same as polyfill I would think. Gonna put in some filler. The drip method is probably best when I'm just sitting around, but I should fill a couple cartridges with poly for driving and such

So putting a few drops on the atty doesnt flood it, but pouring a ....load of the eLiquid into the cartridge does?

lmrasch

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 21, 2010
Oregon
I see... just cut apart the pillow I bought at Target. It says the filling is 100% polyester fibers, this should work same as polyfill I would think. Gonna put in some filler. The drip method is probably best when I'm just sitting around, but I should fill a couple cartridges with poly for driving and such

So putting a few drops on the atty doesnt flood it, but pouring a ....load of the eLiquid into the cartridge does?

Yep...you gotta have something to wick/filter the juice so it doesn't drip all that liquid right on the atty. A couple of drop is all it takes to get a really nice throat hit, taste and vapor...just make sure when you're dripping, not to run the atty dry....drip a couple of drops any time you're not getting a good throat hit or vapor. If you hear a gurgling sound, you've probably flooded the atty...if you flooded it, you can vape through it til it burns down or blow it out and start over.

I've read that a teabag or even coffee filter can be used for the filller, check out the cart forum if you need more info.

Last edited:

War Mouse

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 17, 2010
Bay City MI
3-4 drops to prime and 2-3 after that is plenty. This is pretty much the general concensus I think. Just remember to drip when you start to loose flavor or vapor. How long it lasts will depend on your vaping style. For me I have to drip about every 5-10 mins if I'm vaping a lot for me. It will be different for you. If you decide to go the drip route, just remember, practice makes perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread