NEW TAX PROPOSAL IN CONNECTICUT, USA THAT CAN BANKRUPT VAPE SHOPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I'm not so sure the pols are entirely trying to drive folks back to smoking, or to other states. They're just shortsighted, wanting an increased tax revenue, and aren't thinking long term. They are thinking, greedily, that there will be more "tax" revenue to steal, I mean collect, and they assume a certain percentage of vapers will just pay the higher prices... They aren't thinking that many vapers will choose to buy elsewhere and that vape shops will go out of business. IMO, I'm not sure too many politicians really know a lot of the "facts" about vaping-- that you can DIY juice, that you can import from China for rock bottom prices, etc. I will pay a little more for convenience at times at my vape shop, but I would NOT pay that kind of incendiary tax. The sad part is, they won't even realize it until its too late, and many business will close, or leave, and they will be left with LESS revenue than they started collecting... With that said, not all vapers are savvy about this stuff, and that's a horrible outcome for *them*. Sigh. I have never seen a politician that wasn't completely myopic about what they can collect NOW. I don't think it's social engineering, I think it's pure greed and lack of forethought and research. Just, how can we get money Right Now, regardless of what happens down the line. Some politicians are just dumb like that, a lot of them are, and a lot of "sin" taxes DO work, to an extent. Isn't it PA who owns all the liquor stores? I'm thinking it is, and that was back when I was in COLLEGE, years ago. You could buy beer at certain bars, but liquor or wines? Go to your Government Sponsored Dollars at work. We did used to make border runs from time to time as it was so much cheaper.... Yet, I'll admit, I paid my share of liquor sin taxes, and my share of full price tobacco as well. In fact, my very last pack of cigs purchased was a pack of Am Spirits tobacco at gas station prices... LOL. I did it to drive the point home, and I was SHOCKED at how much it was, I'd been using loose tobacco and injector machines for *years*.

Anna

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
I hear this a lot, regarding tobacco taxes and now e-cig taxes, that it's social engineering. I don't really believe that's true. I think it's nothing more than greed and what they see as a new source of revenue. If it was a matter of social engineering they would simply ban it.
Can't always be that transparent and get reelected next term.

Vaping is teetering on that line where the negative propaganda is being chipped away with real data and studies being leaked to the public.

Outright banning the health of millions of people could prove political suicide.

Guns don't kill people, virgins do! -Jim Jeffries

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
A $25.00 60ml bottle plus 75% tax will cost $43.75. $18.75 tax. Nobody will pay that price. I love to support my local B&M shops but I can't even justify that price. If I pay that price I'll be bankrupt with them.
Depends.

Is it only taxed at the retail end in this proposal?

Could be much, much worse.

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
Ever wonder why the govt pays $1,500 for a hammer and $30,000 for a toilet seat?
Our tax dollars hard at work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
I've seen how they ship a can of hair spray to an officer.

I know why it costs so much.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Prohibition doesn't work, and it's never worked no matter what the product.

What works is the tax revenue made from these relatively cheap products... (you'd be amazed how cheap alcohol is to make, for instance) In the end, people don't like looking over their shoulder, they'd rather pay a tax, even an exorbitant one at times, than worry about the law with rare exception.

I'm sure for the government, it's figuring out what tax amount is the sweet spot the majority can and will pay for that privilege.. they don't care about people smoking any more than they care whether or not people buy a lottery ticket what they care about is revenue and yes, I'm sure they'd rather people smoke than vape if it means more money for themselves.

Hopefully vapers of this state can raise enough cane to make the lawmakers take a second look at how much is too much.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I'd like to see vaping treated just like NRT is now, no retail or wholesale sales tax. If the goal is harm reduction, then any taxation is illogical. If the states take the position is is not harm reduction, well, there is that official position as posted by the Commissioner of the FDA.

See you in court.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Excellent point. Maybe after a decade is court a compromise might be achieved. I believe public perception has to become positive before success at city/state level is possible. I'm more concerned about local regulations at this point. Unreal some of the restrictions proposed at those levels.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
I'd like to see vaping treated just like NRT is now, no retail or wholesale sales tax. If the goal is harm reduction, then any taxation is illogical. If the states take the position is is not harm reduction, well, there is that official position as posted by the Commissioner of the FDA.

See you in court.

Illogical, government tax policy or policy in general? Surely not.

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
i'm a little confused on how the tax is implemented here in CA. Here is what was passed as it applies to vape stuff but nobody seems to be charging more. The city also added a tax but not sure if that one is in effect yet. But vape stores have not raised the prices of ejuice as far as I have seen. So not sure what is going on. I also just bought more nicotine from Nicotine river that are inside CA and as far as I can tell they didn't add any tax other than normal sales tax to the cost. Usually order from out of state and the Nic was in the same price range. I know these are excise taxes so the vendor pays them and they aren't listed but I don't see any price increases.

Products subject to vaping excise tax
Little cigars (a cigarette tax stamp will no longer be required to be affixed to the package);
Any product made, derived, or containing any amount of tobacco that is intended for human consumption (previously products had to contain at least 50 percent tobacco, be a smoking or chewing tobacco, or snuff to be subject to tax); Nicotine that is intended for human consumption (sold with or without a nicotine delivery device); and Nicotine delivery devices (including, but not limited to, electronic cigarettes, e-cigars, e-pipes, vape pens and e-hookahs) sold in combination with substances containing nicotine.

Products not subject to excise tax
Nicotine delivery devices sold independently and not in combination with any liquid orsubstance containing nicotine; Any battery, battery charger, carrying case, or any other accessory used in the operation of a nicotine delivery device if sold separately from a substance containing nicotine; and Any product approved by the U. S. Food and Drug Administration as a tobacco cessation product or other therapeutic purpose when that product is marketed and sold for such approved use (for instance, nicotine patches).

Anyway, Since I have around 3 liters of Nicotine in the freezer, I am good for awhile.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
Unfortunately the financial rewards of people quitting smoking take years to show at state level medical expense. Not sure if worded that correctly, hope you get the drift (not a political animal). The states need money now & some can't wait years to reap the reward. Just a plain slap in your face reality. I don't know the solution, I don't agree with the tax, but I do at some level understand the reality.
People quitting smoking now has short term tax revenue effects (the cost, to those collecting taxes), but delivers long term expense reduction in improved public health (the benefit, to those using tax revenues to fund health programs). Problem is, even though the benefit-cost analysis would clearly show that the discounted future benefits would greatly exceed the cost, politicians have to balance the budget this year, not 30 years hence.

Accordingly, they don't much care that the cost of healthcare will fall if more people quit smoking. They can't afford to and get reelected in a blue state.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
Forgot.....Seems strange that if you buy a mod and tank no excise tax. If you buy a mod, tank and bottle of ejuice the whole purchase would be subject to excise tax..... Weird
Oh, God... Please let them be that stupid. "Thanks for the deal on the mod and tank! See ya tomorrow for that bottle of Killer Kustard, Dave!"

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
Oh they are that stupid. I think they were trying to tax pod systems and not mods but couldn't figure out how to write the law.
Tax and Fee Guide for Cigarettes and Tobacco Products
The cigarette and tobacco products tax is paid by a distributor upon the first distribution of cigarettes and tobacco products in California.

A distribution includes the first sale, use, or consumption use of untaxed cigarettes, or untaxed tobacco products in California, and the placing of untaxed cigarettes or untaxed tobacco products into a vending machine or retail stock in California (Revenue and Taxation Code Section 30008).

Proposition 56 expanded the definition of "tobacco products" for tax purposes to include any product containing, made of, or derived from tobacco or nicotine, little cigars, and electronic cigarettes that are sold in combination (for a single price) with nicotine (including any component, part, or accessory of an electronic cigarette sold in combination with nicotine). Beginning April 1, 2017, the distribution of these products is subject to the tobacco products tax.

Cosmic_Glaze

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2016
As many of us here have advanced in vaping, weather it is DIY ejuice, to buying all products online, tanks, mods etc. I would put money on the fact that most of us on this forum started thier journey to quit smoking at a local B&M. E cigs are very confusing to the beginner. I feel that shops are very important in the transition a smoker makes. There are soo many questions out there and the internet is way to overwelming for the beginner to make there first purchase. A good shop can help them find thier style of vaping/ejuice and help troubleshoot thier first few devices making a more pleasurable experience. This forum can do the same thing but I've talked to soo many vapers that have a year or so under thier belt and do not even know about this resource here at ECF. My first set up could have been a bad fit and I might still be smoking today. Fortunately at my local B&M my first purchase was a great fit for me and I stoped smoking. I owe it to them, the Nautilus Mini and Eleaf istick 20w. Oh yeah and let's not forget the 18mg nic!

Last edited:

Tonee N

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2017
Nevada
My day came when a neighbor let me try hers, went to my store, bought my EVOD starter, threw away my half pack of cigs same day.
I still go into their stores almost every Sat, usually to show them something new, barter, or buy something whether it be a certain liquid that I ran out of or cotton.
Their staff is VERY knowledgeable and doesn't sell their customers what they don't need but what they do need.
I wish I could say the same for other B&M's, some lack the knowledge to use the cash register let alone what they sell.
ECF is a valuable asset to anyone that is searching for information on devices, parts, etc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread