New Survey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Just came across this posted in the tobacco Harm Reduction News and Opinions blog:

University of East London running online survey on e-cigarettes.
We do not know about the methodology, politics, etc., but here is a link for taking the survey:
http://www.uelpsychology.org/ecig/

Took the survey. It takes about 10 minutes and the questions are much easier to answer than the Bullen/Etter survey questions were.

BTW, the THR N&O blog is well worth putting into your Favorites or Bookmarks list.

Weekly suggested reading in Tobacco Harm Reduction – 6 October 2011 « Tobacco Harm Reduction: News & Opinions

house mouse

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2010
BFE
I took it also. I left some comments in the box regarding some questions that yes/no answers just didn't really explain what was really going on with me. Do I use an e-cig if I'm so sick that I'm in bed? Haven't been sick this past year while using them so don't really know if I would or not. Have you attempted to cut down use and how successful has it been? Well....I've cut down from 36mg to 0mg(mostly, I still occasionally use 2mg liquid) so I'd say pretty successful. But, I have no interest in dropping the 0mg at this time because I still very much enjoy the hand to mouth aspect of it. I also suggested that they might want to include some questions on how long after starting use of an e-cig did you give up traditional cigarettes. I told them that for myself and quite a few others it was instantaneously.

Last edited:

the_maiden_fair

ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2011
SD , USA
I took it also. I hope they are researching it with the open mind that anything should be researched. It almost seemed from the questions that they were looking for the negative aspects to tout the e-cig as an addicting substance, etc. I really hope that is not the case!!
I agree with house mouse, I should have mentioned that as well, I have not been bedridden ill since using the e-cig.

Rainz

ECF Veteran
Sep 15, 2011
Winnipeg, Canada
Just came across this posted in the Tobacco Harm Reduction News and Opinions blog:

We do not know about the methodology, politics, etc., but here is a link for taking the survey:

Took the survey. It takes about 10 minutes and the questions are much easier to answer than the Bullen/Etter survey questions were.

BTW, the THR N&O blog is well worth putting into your Favorites or Bookmarks list.

Weekly suggested reading in Tobacco Harm Reduction – 6 October 2011 « Tobacco Harm Reduction: News & Opinions

Being that it's the psychology department and not the health dept. that's conducting this survey, I suspect it has more to do with politics and revenue than health. Just a thought.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Being that it's the psychology department and not the health dept. that's conducting this survey, I suspect it has more to do with politics and revenue than health. Just a thought.

I realize that Psychology and Psychiatry have their differences, but I have seen some of the most helpful research come from the psychiatrists. Dr. John Hughes of the University of Vermont Department of Psychiatry Why does smoking so often produce dependence? A somewhat different view - UKPMC Article - UK PubMed Central (full document is downloadable as a PDF from this page)

Psychiatrists also documented the fact that smoking cessation often triggers severe depression.

That fact seemed to have escaped many researchers. Maybe that's because they only choose to follow the success stories, and don't bother to find out the reasons for lapses. And maybe that's because so many of the smoking cessation researchers are cardiologists and oncologists, two specialities that tend to be doctor-centered rather than patient-centered, if you get my drift.

Psychiatrists and psycologists are the ones looking at nicotine's beneficial effects and noting that those effects can be observed in subjects who are neither smokers nor regular users of some other source of nicotine. These observations disprove the theory that only nicotine addicts experience beneficial effects (relief from withdrawal).

Tom09

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2009
Germany

Some information on the UEL research team:

UEL, School of Psychology, Recreational Drugs Research Team,
e-cig related research activities seam supported by TECC (TotallyWicked).

A previous e-cig study conducted by this team:
Dawkins L, Kent T, Turner, J. (2010) The Electronic Cigarette: Acute Effects on Mood and Craving.
conference abstract for reference, conference poster on the TECC website.

More info on UEL’s current research projects on the TECC blog, here

Last edited:

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
Some information on the UEL research team:

UEL, School of Psychology, Recreational Drugs Research Team,
e-cig related research activities seam supported by TECC (TotallyWicked).

A previous e-cig study conducted by this team:
Dawkins L, Kent T, Turner, J. (2011) The Electronic Cigarette: Acute Effects on Mood and Craving.
conference abstract for reference, conference poster on the TECC website.

More info on UEL’s current research projects on the TECC blog, here

I took the survey. It seemed to assume that the only reason people would use nicotine was because they craved nicotine. Completely ignored any therapeutic benefits (for me quelling nerve pain). But I do applaud the positive statements made in the poster at the beginning. I don't think a 5 minute vaping study says very much though. I wonder how many subjects asked where they could get an ecig, or if they could have the one they used. Hopefully The E-Cig Company had cards there.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
I took the survey. It seemed to assume that the only reason people would use nicotine was because they craved nicotine. Completely ignored any therapeutic benefits (for me quelling nerve pain). But I do applaud the positive statements made in the poster at the beginning. I don't think a 5 minute vaping study says very much though. I wonder how many subjects asked where they could get an ecig, or if they could have the one they used. Hopefully The E-Cig Company had cards there.

I got that impression also, plus they only focused on either cigarettes or e cigs. I mentioned WTA and left my email address in the comments. Anyone notice you could't use special characters (@, ' and the like).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread