New Study by Dr. Farsalinos Challenges EU Reasoning for Ecig Regulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
Currently available evidence is so overwhelmingly in favor of electronic cigarettes that it is surprising to realize that public health authorities have not endorsed them in the field of tobacco harm reduction. Perhaps it is a matter of ideology: they resemble smoking and contain nicotine; a lot of people do not like this. However, we have to realize that these are the main reasons for being successful. And it seems that they have the potential to save lives.
Those opposed to e-smoking are running out of lies.

Wouldn't you just love to see E-cigs showcased on "Myth Busters" ??!!
:p

Linden

ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2011
Michigan,USA
The limit of 4mg has always baffled me. Cigarette and ecigarette users are the same in which they will consume until satisfied (well, for the most part...when I was a smoker I really HATED putting out a cigarette before it was burned down). So, limiting the nicotine content does more harm than good, and this is why: new users will be unsatisfied by casual to normal use of a PV and most likely not be able to quit; experienced users will just puff more than normal.

Spazmelda

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2011
Ohio
I think even this study over estimates the amount of nicotine delivered by an e-cig since they don't measure the actual nicotine absorbed by your body. I don't think I get 1mg of nicotine every 5 minutes of puffing using 20mg solution.

Yes, I do so wish they'd looked at cotinine levels using this same 5 min/20 min protocol. But still, it's good info to know.

AgentAnia

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
Orbiting Sirius B
I think the 1ml in 5min of 20 mg use is to see what level of nic in the juice equals the output of a cigarette or NRT patch, rather than predicting exactly how much nic the user absorbs. The point was that the 4mg limit had no basis in a real world comparison of ecigs cigs or NRT.

In reply to a comment on his summary, Dr. Farsalinos said he hopes in the future to have the funding to measure nicotine levels in blood plasma.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
The limit of 4mg has always baffled me. Cigarette and ecigarette users are the same in which they will consume until satisfied (well, for the most part...when I was a smoker I really HATED putting out a cigarette before it was burned down). So, limiting the nicotine content does more harm than good, and this is why: new users will be unsatisfied by casual to normal use of a PV and most likely not be able to quit; experienced users will just puff more than normal.
Seems to me you understand just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread