New & Overwhelmed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone. I hope you're all doing well.

I'm new here, obviously, & I'm also new to vaping. My mother actually bought an e-cig a few months ago & she is the reason I'm on this forum now. I believe she bought a manual 510 off of e-smokeytreats.com, & she really likes it a lot. Took her a month or two to get adjusted from smoking analog, but she says she'll never go back now.

I've been scouring over this forum for days now, literally, & I can't seem to make up my mind what I want to get. I suppose it's mostly due to the fact that it's a nice little investment, & I don't want to wind up spending $70 - $100 on something I hate & will never use. It's much easier to try new brands of analog cigs as then you're spending under $10, haha.

I watched a bunch of video reviews & read a bunch of interesting stuff, but this is SO overwhelming still!

I was leaning towards the m401. I know a lot of you say that you only recommend the manuals, & that we (as in newbies) will learn on our own eventually... my mother has a manual & I just don't care for it at all. So, even though it's against what a lot of you experienced vapors suggest, I'd rather not get a manual. I saw a video a couple days ago, & I can't remember now what the name of the person was that did it, but I know it was on these forums... anyhow it was a girl & she did an hour long video as an intro to vaping. She had a brand that I believe she said was a m401, but it was black with a purple led? Does anyone know what brand that is, where I could get it, &/or if I even should get it (based on your personal experience with it of course)?

There's just SO many brands & web sites... but I was also wondering if there are very many sites out there that sell the VG liquid in a broad range of flavors? A one stop shop would be great actually. I'd also like the site suggestions to only include fast shipping, preferably overnight shipping.

Any suggestions/tips would be greatly appreciated! Thank you so much for reading!

-MandyLynn

DNCMenteer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2009
Honolulu, HI
I also had this problem,....so many to choose from, yet you dont want to spend money on something you are going to hate....well i first heard about e-cigs by stumbling onto the BLU website. Naturally i fell for the advertising of the blu and ordered one. well it took forever to get here and while i was waiting i ordered a manual 510 from innovapor.com for around 30$. I figured that if i didnt like it i could sell it to someone else when i got my blu. When it got here i was a lil miffed about the button. It was OK at first but it wasnt the same so i still smoked analogs off and on...well finally my blu came and i was soo excited......and then dissapointed...i realized that strangly i loved the manual function of the 510....the automatics are hard to draw on, feels like you have to suck a milkshake out of a straw to get a decent drag and go off at the strangest times....loud music, heavy winds, coming out of you pocket..just kills the battery life....the manual is so much better with control and ease of draw....so you gotta push a button, oh well...i havent looked back since i tried them both. Manual 510 all the way....hope this helps and i hope i didnt talk your ear off.....

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US

I'm new here, obviously, & I'm also new to vaping. My mother actually bought an e-cig a few months ago & she is the reason I'm on this forum now. I believe she bought a manual 510 off of e-smokeytreats.com, & she really likes it a lot. Took her a month or two to get adjusted from smoking analog, but she says she'll never go back now.

I've been scouring over this forum for days now, literally, & I can't seem to make up my mind what I want to get. I suppose it's mostly due to the fact that it's a nice little investment, & I don't want to wind up spending $70 - $100 on something I hate & will never use. It's much easier to try new brands of analog cigs as then you're spending under $10, haha.

I watched a bunch of video reviews & read a bunch of interesting stuff, but this is SO overwhelming still!

I was leaning towards the m401. I know a lot of you say that you only recommend the manuals, & that we (as in newbies) will learn on our own eventually... my mother has a manual & I just don't care for it at all. So, even though it's against what a lot of you experienced vapors suggest, I'd rather not get a manual. I saw a video a couple days ago, & I can't remember now what the name of the person was that did it, but I know it was on these forums... anyhow it was a girl & she did an hour long video as an intro to vaping. She had a brand that I believe she said was a m401, but it was black with a purple led? Does anyone know what brand that is, where I could get it, &/or if I even should get it (based on your personal experience with it of course)?

There's just SO many brands & web sites... but I was also wondering if there are very many sites out there that sell the VG liquid in a broad range of flavors? A one stop shop would be great actually. I'd also like the site suggestions to only include fast shipping, preferably overnight shipping.

Any suggestions/tips would be greatly appreciated! Thank you so much for reading!

-MandyLynn

As long as you tried the manual and didn't like it, you might go for something that could be changed to a manual in case the auto doesn't do it for you either. The dse901 is available in auto and manual.

Glossy black DSE901 e-cig kit with 5 cartridges - Starter Kit - Heaven-gifts.com Ruyandirect.com Best E-smoking Shop=

Manual battery for DSE901 matte black - Spare Parts - Heaven-gifts.com Ruyandirect.com Best E-smoking Shop=

There is also an auto 510 (which is normally manual).

Matte black BATTERY for Joye510 - Spare parts - Heaven-gifts.com Ruyandirect.com Best E-smoking Shop=

Without looking, Spikey's video showed quite a few different models. Perhaps someone knows exactly which one.... and they'll chime in.

Welcome to the ECig forum!

Jim Davis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
Retired in Houston, Texas / USA
The M401 isn't a bad one to start with. However since you want an auto battery you should know this. There are two types of auto batteries. One has a vacuum switch that activates the battery when you suck on it. The other is a sound activated battery. In my opinion, the sound activated batteries can cause problems, because they can turn themselves on by loud noises, music, wind, etc. I'm not sure which models offer each type. I would suggest asking the supplier before you buy.

It would be nice if you could get used to the 510 manual, simply because your mom is already using one, and the two of you could order spare parts together, and keep each other going if one of you happens to run out of something.

Whatever you finally decide on, there will be someone here to help you out if you have problems.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
I agree with DNC. Hundreds maybe thousands of us started with auto switch PV's (personal vaporizers) and became quite frustrated with the inconsistent performance and short battery life. Plus if you get any liquid in the battery compartment, it will gum up the switch and kill your battery. The over-riding rule of thumb is: the more it looks like the real thing, the worse the performance and reliability.

That being said, if you really want an auto switch device, I would suggest the DSE901. Almost every supplier stocks them so getting extra atomizers will not be a problem. They also just came out with a manual DSE901 battery so if you decide to move away from auto batteries you can do that. I believe the 510 also has an auto battery so it also might be an option.

Good Luck

Note: the 901 is NOT sound activated.

DaBrat

ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2009
Back end of GA
www.myspace.com
I cant speak to anything but the 510 and I love it. Even though you want an auto.. the batteries are not sealed. That can be heck with a flooded atty; you will find you do this quite often as a new vaper.

BTW Kent C... thanks for the link to the 510 auto batt.... wanted to try an auto and didn't realize that Ruyan carried them. For work when I need to be hands free at times.

Last edited:

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
I cant speak to anything but the 510 and I love it. Whatever you get make sure its not an auto that doesn't have a sealed battery. That can be heck with a flooded atty; you will find you do this quite often as a new vaper.

BTW Kent C... thanks for the link to the 510 auto batt.... wanted to try an auto and didn't realize that Ruyan carried them. For work when I need to be hands free at times.

Just an FYI, you can not have a "sealed" auto battery. They have to be unsealed so the air goes through them to activate the battery. I'm pretty sure this is the case with the sound activated ones also. As you pointed out, this is another problem area with auto batteries.

DaBrat

ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2009
Back end of GA
www.myspace.com
Just an FYI, you can not have a "sealed" auto battery. They have to be unsealed so the air goes through them to activate the battery. I'm pretty sure this is the case with the sound activated ones also. As you pointed out, this is another problem area with auto batteries.

LOL yes typing faster than thinking.. that happens when I multi-task....lol!!

Keef

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2008
Scotland
I would suggest for your first order stick to reputable suppliers on your own turf.

There is nothing wrong with chinese suppliers infact they are very good, service and cost wise but if there happens to be any problems with the device and you dont have lots of spares, waiting for replacements can be frustrating.

Also unless you are ordering a reasonable amount the shipping charges can knock out the discount.

As far as the switch/button goes, it took a little getting used to, now I would not be without it .

Thanks so much for all the quick, helpful responses!!! I like the idea of getting something that has both the automatic & manual battery capability.

Has anyone had much experience with truesmoker.com? I know I see their e-cig "The Dragon" pop up pretty often on the forums but I see they have a new 401 now called "Trinity"? I was thinking of getting that... any opinions?

Also, I'm researching a little more on this VG e-liquid thing. I'm definitely thinking I'd rather use that than PG. Does anyone reading this use VG & could they suggest which suppliers they go through? I would like to get both the e-cig & the e-liquid somewhere here in the states, only because I'm thinking the shipping would have to be quicker, so again, quick &/or overnight shipping web sites would be fantastic.

Thanks again everyone, I really appreciate the help! I'm definitely more reassured now than before & hopefully I can make a choice here within the next day or so. :)

-MandyLynn

DNCMenteer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2009
Honolulu, HI
i got my ecig from innovapor.com...no auto batts there though the pv they sell will take auto batts....only place i have ordered liquid from is nuvape.com,...fast shipping - ordered on a friday and got it on a monday...3days with a sunday...not bad....and it tastes pretty good with good vapor and throat hit!!...

laurieok

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 3, 2009
Ohio
I have the dragon and I really like it. I also have the 901 and I really like that. I use both of them everyday. IMHO I like the 901 a little better. It has more taste. It is bigger than the 401 though. I have not tried the 501 yet so I can't comment on that one. They both produce nice vapor and the 401 slips in your pocket better, but to sit and enjoy a vape I always use my 901. I have both the manual and automatic batteries and to go against the consensus of most of the people on the forum, I really like the automatic batteries better. Just my opinion!

I have a 401 and I really love it. I also have a 510 and really love it:) I have a 901 on order, so I can't speak to that, but I am sure I will love it, too.

Since your mom already has a 510 and you know you didn't care for it, I would order the 401 if I were you. You're gonna order it anyhow, so just go ahead;-)

It does seem to be the most like an analog, so at least for me, it was a lot easier to get used to.

SquirrilahFish

ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2009
Honolulu

-MandyLynn

first off innovapor.com has alot of those cool models your looking for. Second, I thought like you at first that i wouldn't like a manual battery, if you look hard enought you cand find automatic and manual batteries for most models (that have the manual option anyway) I got a automatic battery for my 510 so I could be hands free and still vape, while driving and playing xbox and stuff, but I will tell you from experience, MANUAL IS WAY BETTER. as far as models i have only tried the joye 306 and the 510. I love them both but the 306 is very small so expect to top off alot, not ideal but good for a quick fix (its my backup) the 510 holds twice as much and has way better production. that is what i would recommend. Also dont get hung up on the pre-loaded carts, dont even order any is my advice, some blank carts, teabags and Totally wicked e liquid is a great way to start. Take your time though to find what works for you. I know i spent the first couple of days spitting out excess liquid! gross.

Sorry i have trouble finding VG too, brands that have it will give you the option during ordering, but thats only if its in stock, which in my exp. it rarely is

Briar

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2009
A fool on the hill in Deposit, NY
Sorry i have trouble finding VG too, brands that have it will give you the option during ordering, but thats only if its in stock, which in my exp. it rarely is

ECOpure (from Innovapor) is VG based. I think it's a great liquid, though they don't have the fancy flavors. I like how it tastes, but that's me. Some folks said it tasted like burnt mushmallows (sp?) - to me it tastes like a dryer, cleaner version of RY4.

Vermont Vapor is all VG based. I tried their Maple and really like it. They have lots of others, and very fast service (I got mine in two days).

Cheers,
Briar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread