new iPV4 and Kanger GeniTank and Aspire Atlantis

Status
Not open for further replies.

leslie hurley

May 16, 2015
Hello everyone!

so my fiancee and i just got the new ipv4 box mod because we needed to upgrade from the pen and i've been drooling over the Atlantis and new we'd wind up mod vaping eventually. However, i have a few questions.

1. I know the Atlantis is really picky about wattage and ohms. i personally cant really handle a strong hit yet and the 10w (lowest setting) is all i can hit for a nice deep hit without choking on the spice of the smoke. will this setting be ok for my atlantis and ipv4? if not, is there a way for me to get up to the recommended 30w?

2. not much info was given on the iPV4 and i was wondering since its sub-ohm compatible, how does that breakdown and change? that has me a lil confused and i need to research it more for sure, so please send me in the right direction.

3. my fiance recently got the Genitank (before we upgraded to the box) and used it on the ego twist weve had and that was fine. then when he started using the mod with it, it started to taste like aluminum in his hit (with a new atomizer, so we know that's not the issue). is this because it is too high of a wattage since he smokes it at a 10w with the most airflow?

THANKS! and happy vaping!

coolerat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2015
Verona,NY
Because I am a river to my people I went ahead and put an Atlantis on the IPV 4 at 10W. With a .5Ω coil, you didn't say which you had. I have a .3 here which may not fire at 10w and I believe a 1Ω is sold.

At .5Ω it was a wet yucky vape. I didn't have any trouble but over time I wouldn't be surprised if it caused flooding.

At 30w with the air at the lowest setting it wasn't too bad. Still a little wet which I hate but others love.

Honestly an Atlantis is for massive airflow. I find it a bit much for an ADV personally. At .3Ω and 80w on the IPV4 its a massive cloud of extremely tastey but hot juice that I don't like.

You should try the 1Ω coil. This maybe your sweet spot.

Another thing to consider is temputure control coils for the Atlantis. I can't get these locally and have been meaning to order them. You go first.

The IPV4 can drive these massive watts but I use mine for low watts in the 35 range and .7Ω and get incredible battery life. I mean just unreal. Its a great unit which I am very happy with.

Not sure what you mean by sub-ohm compatible as you just screw a tank on and the chip does all the math.

zi know nothing about gennies.

jseah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2015
Hudson Valley, NY, USA
I use an Atlantis 1 with the stock 0.5 ohm coil on an IPV Mini 2 and use it between 30-35 watts. With the air flow control wide open I get a nice cool vape (but yes, it does vape a bit on the wet side, I believe this is a characteristic of the Aspire tanks in general). I'm one of those who prefer a wetter vape. I also turned it down to 12 watts to give it a try and it seems fine to me as well. Vapor production is good, although the flavor is a bit muted. People do say that the IPV Mini 2 has a hard time bucking down the voltage, so setting it to 10 watts may not necessarily mean that I'm vaping at 10 watts. If what they say is true about the IPV Mini 2 that you can't lower it lower than the battery voltage, this means that with a fully charged battery it will vape at 30+ watts on anything with a 0.5 ohm coil.

When you said that turning it up made it harder for you to take a long hit because it made you choke from the spice of the vapor, what nicotine strength are you vaping? If you are subohming for the first time, you do need to drop your nicotine strength. What may be fine at 5-10 watts on a lower end tank with a 2 ohm coil is most likely too high with a 0.5 ohm coil. That spice you're tasting is most likely the nicotine. If you lower your ohms without lowering your nicotine, the higher amount of nicotine will give you a burning sensation in your throat.

I would not recommend the 0.3 ohm coil on the Atlantis 1. The Atlantis 1 does not offer the higher airflow that the Atlantis 2 offers, so it will run much hotter. I don't have any of the 1 ohm coils now available so I can't offer any advice on that.

The temperature control nickel coils for the Atlantis works great. They measure in at around 0.15 ohms and I have one in my Atlantis 2 now on a VS rDNA40. I have it cranked to the maximum wattage of 40 watts and I can hit that thing all day since the maximum 40 watts of the rDNA40 isn't close to the performance limit of the Atlantis 2. I have the temperature set to 450 degrees and the temperature control doesn't kick in until around 6-8 seconds. And this is with the air flow control at the bottom set to the smallest opening and the air flow control at the top closed. If I open both, then the temperature control doesn't kick in until around 10 seconds.

As for the Genitank, you said that he put in a new coil. Did he prime the coil well and let it soak in before starting to vape with it? 10 watts on the IPV4 shouldn't make a difference versus whatever voltage set on a VV twist battery results in 10 watts. So you shouldn't be getting a metallic taste with one and not the other.

Last edited:

leslie hurley

May 16, 2015
oh yeah, im not sure which is in it since its the stock one. DX and ill try it a lil higher, the 30w was ok if i did short bursts....and i always use 0mg nicotine. i never was a cig smoker (ok, on occassion id have a camel crush. shhh lol), but i do enjoy hookah, so this is better since im not using tobacco at all. thanks for the tips tho!

and yes, he primed and everything so we dont understand.....@.@

Tom Forde

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
NJ
Yeah the IPV4 is a nice looking box. Did you get the Atlantis version 1 or 2? One thing that may help is looking into the chipset of the IPV4, the yihi sx330 v4s, I did some quick research and this chart may be helpful:
image.jpg
The online manual doesn't say much on the mod besides how to check your atomizer resistance and switching from normal mode (watts displayed) to temp mode (joules displayed).
I wonder, if like the IPV mini, pressing fire & up together will set the mod to PWM and pressing fire & down together will switch to DC-DC.
As for your Atlantis (v1 or v2), definitely check which coil you have inside there, and adjust your wattage to the minimum suggested wattage per coil.
.5 ohm coil - 20-30w
.3 ohm coil - 70-80w
1.0 ohm coil - 40-50w.

What's the VG-PG ratio of your juice? This may contribute to your wet hits, a 50/50 juice at 10 watts will most likely not hit too well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread