New guy, hi. A little about me and how I got here:

Status
Not open for further replies.
So this is my first vaping forum I've ever joined I'd just like to share my story and hopefully help someone out there who is considering vaping make up their mind to stop considering and finally get up and DO IT. I apologize for the length of my story but a lot happened since the time I've thought about quitting smoking until the time it actually worked so sit back and enjoy and here is my story:

I was a long time smoker. I'm not even 35 yet and I was a daily smoker for about half of my life. I'm from the Appalachian Mountain area, so smoking and drinking are kind of just things that you do when you are young to rebel and be "cool" to fit in. I had been having breathing issues which kept getting worse and worse until one day I ran into an old friend from the small town I grew up in at the beginning of this year (2015). He told me how he switched to vaping and now he can breathe much easier and he started telling me all of the benefits of vaping and how it tasted so good he couldn't go back, I just thought he was kidding himself and I thought after all the times I'd tried to quit it couldn't be that easy! Gum, snus (which isn't really quitting anyway), patches that gave me terrible nightmares every night, I'd tried it all once or twice but then I started noticing people carrying around vapes more and more so I thought maybe it was something I should give a try but I didn't have the extra cash at the time to invest in it.

The old friend of mine was really cool at first, he had a few Unovapor cheap-o stick batteries laying around and he gave them to me. I went to the local vape shop (my little town has had two spring up within the past year) and found a cheap-o little plastic tank for it because I was really scared of sinking a bunch of cash into the whole thing and what if I didn't like it? I do give that old friend credit for showing me the way and encouraging me to try it although the story doesn't have a happy ending but I'll get to that in a bit...The first time I walked into the local vape shop they asked me what kind of flavor I wanted, I looked at the wall full of choices and was very overwhelmed. I said I have no idea I smoke menthol cigs and if I could get something similar to that maybe I could trick my brain into replacing cigs with juice? They gave me a Black Menthol (Bull Dog) mix and out the door I went. I filled up my little plastic tank at home and gave it a rip....I hated the stuff! It was sickening and tasted NOTHING like my Marlboro Menthols that I'd smoked for years and years, so I'd hit it once in a while but for the most part I was still smoking.

The breakthrough came when I was sitting in a meeting for work and I noticed before we got started that more than half of the other guys in the room had vaporizers sticking out of their pockets and I asked a guy named Joe how he liked it. Joe is a very intelligent, insightful guy and me and him just always seem to be on the same page mentally, and he told me he loves it and hasn't smoked in over a year and how great he felt, I wanted to feel like Joe too he looked a lot better the past year that he's quit he just looks healthier. I told him I'd given it a shot and the menthol stuff was just nasty, he said that all the local vape shops are steering people to tobacco flavors when they first make the switch. Their intentions are good but they are going about things the wrong way....Joe knew I had a little boy at home and I didn't smoke in the house before. Here are his words of wisdom to me and I'll never forget it:

"Think about it, when you switch over to vaping you don't want the same exact thing that you were smoking because what message is that sending to your body when you are inside your home vaping when you used to have to smoke outside? Your body doesn't know the difference between cigs and ejuice and if they taste exactly the same then the only thing your body is thinking is that its now okay to smoke in the house! Do NOT try to quit with a menthol or tobacco flavor because everyone I've seen try to switch ended up just smoking more cigarettes after they gave up on the vapes. Try a fruit flavor, something sweet and your body will know it isn't the same thing, and go from there to see what you like try a little bit of everything until you find your perfect flavor and vape it all day."

This was the most helpful thing anyone has told me in years. I don't know why but even to this day when I'm in the vape shop and a young person comes in and says they want to switch from cigarettes the staff always asks what kind of smokes they prefer and tell them what is the closest flavor to that brand of cigarette! I went and found an 18mg berry/watermelon ejuice mix and picked up the cheapest model Aspire metal and glass "nicotine tank" that they had for $10 plus a pack of coils and went home. This time I'd noticed that the vape tasted MUCH better, it was sweet and tasted like candy. I was still smoking cigs at that point, but I'd puff on my vape more I noticed. I went out and picked up a Spinner 2 battery to replace the unovapor cheap-o's and the big breakthrough came after I met up with my longtime best friend on April Fool's eve and we stayed at my place and drank beer and played playstation 4 all night.

I woke up in the morning after a night of heavy drinking and smoking, only to find I was out of cigarettes. I picked up the vape and told my friend about it while he was waking up and getting ready to go home after crashing on my couch for the night because I won't drive drunk anymore when we drink we stay put so he couldn't get home until I took him in the morning. I was vaping the whole ride to drop him off at home, and after he got out of my car on April Fool's Day I went in the store and got my usual Marlboro Menthols. I hopped back in my car and lit one up, it tasted TERRIBLE and i threw it right out the window...I thought the cigarettes were old and stale, but I light up another just to see and sure enough it wasn't stale...after I'd been finally vaping more and it tasted so good, the tobacco tasted like GARBAGE compared to the vape so I threw the second cigarette out the window and when I got home I threw the pack straight in the garbage and I haven't touched one since!

Things were slowly coming together but I still had a few bumps on the road headed my way. Here I ended up liking vaping so much that I bought an Aspire Nautilus and an Aspire Atlantis 2. When you vape 18mg on an Atlantis 2, sometimes no kidding you exhale and almost feel as if the earth is moving and pulling you down inside of it! I was waking up every day and running to the restroom to relieve myself because I was getting too much nicotine in my system that it was making me physically get sick in the morning! I've never had anything like this happen to me, and the only big changes in my life at the time was that I'd quit smoking and started vaping. I talked to a few people and they suggested I crank down the nicotine level dramatically and try it. I tried the same juice that I'd quit smoking on (Mt. Baker Vapor Gwar Spew) at 6mg nicotine and the problem was gone! So sure, it took some trial and error and things don't always go perfect for everyone you just have to get out there and try it. Your life is worth trying to find the perfect fit for yourself so that you can quit tobacco all together.

So during this time the guy who originally got me to try vaping tried to accuse me of stealing a few $8 parts for his vaporizers, and while I've been a lot of things in my life, a thief is NOT one and after I told him I didn't steal it he called me a liar which thieves and liars are my two least favorite things in the world and for an old friend to call me both just blew my mind, but he's got mental issues so I wanted to beat him up for dragging my name through the mud but I just cut all ties with him. A week later he emailed me an apology and said he found the missing things under the couch but I can't be around people like that so I still won't reply. I just figured I would take my Vision Spinner 2 battery and next person who asked me about vaping I would give it to them, which I did and I hope the guy got some use out of it. I haven't seen him in a while so I'm not sure if he's smoking or vaping. I went on to buy a bunch of stuff, once you quit smoking you have money to play with so I got an iTaste 30w vv/vw mod and for my three month no smoking present to myself was a Sigelei 100w vv/vw mod which I love because I got two 2800 MAH batteries and it lasts me a days between charges!

I'd come into some money a few months ago and when I got the Sigelei this guy I'd just met was sitting there at another meeting for work and he said what is that a 30w just like mine? And I said no, its the 100w. He called me out in the middle of the room and tried to make me look like a fool, he said why would you spend that much money on a 100w mod? You DON'T need 100w to vape...EVER. He had a big smile on his face like he just burst my bubble and he liked bursting bubbles, but I said okay smart guy how many batteries does your 30w Sigelei take? He said one but it's an 18650 2000 mah battery and I've only got to charge it at night. I said that's nice, well this one takes two 18650 batteries and I picked up 2800mah batteries and I get two days at least out of my charges so while you're fumbling around with your battery late at night I've already woke up, took a puff, and rolled back over to sleep. Everyone laughed and called the guy an idiot for trying to be so smug with me. He was constantly trying to tell me how to spend my own money and then he started trying to borrow money off of me all the time, if I would refuse he would say "well you bought yourself two pairs of $120 Oakley's and you can't even lend me a few dollars?!" like it was my job to make sure that he had money at all times or something, he was just a very rude very ignorant person towards others and I can't be around people like that very much or I'd get violent. Long story short with that guy, they found out he'd lied about never being arrested he was working with us while he was on probation for stealing an old lady's purse! They found out and canned his .... so fast it made his head spin. He's still trying to interfere with my life to this day I blocked contact with him over the phone, email, and he was even harassing me on eBay to borrow money it was ridiculous!

I'd BETTER NOT even get any emails from him asking to borrow money on this website or I'd be FURIOUS lol!

But I just wanted to share my personal adventure and talk about what got me from thinking about it to doing it and maybe someone else who is thinking about it will find something I've dealt with myself useful and consider what I've been through. I sure wish everyone in my life would quit smoking but most people have the misconception that vaping is "expensive". Smoking cost me a whole lot more per week, but when you add in juice, coils, a decent mod, batteries, I can see where they are coming from. I tell them you don't need all of that to get started though, I didn't. I got started on hand me down batteries and a $8 plastic nicotine tank.

Its just like everything else in life you have to put something into it if you want to get something out of it sometimes. Thank you.

Reactions: FloGrown
If everyone could please say a prayer for my friend Joe John, the man above who inspired me to quit smoking and give vaping one more shot, he passed away Saturday night in his sleep. He had a wild life for the first part of his existence, much like myself and many others, but then he found God and straightened out his life and began working as a councilor at a drug addiction facility and it was there that I met him while trying to clean up after a series of health issues left me addicted to pain medicine. It was just this past late March/early April he really pointed me in the right direction when I was talking to him about trying vaping and not getting anywhere with it. I was frustrated because I saw everyone else around me was able to quit smoking and I wasn't there yet so I asked him what I was doing wrong or if he had any advice...that is when he gave me the words of wisdom above, and I tried it and the VERY next day and I quit smoking. The man was a miracle worker for me personally, and I will miss him very much. Sure, he made some bad decisions in his younger days but haven't we all? He really turned things around and served as a huge inspiration to me and others in my shoes who wanted to change but didn't quite know how to go about it.

I was really looking forward to asking him a question today about a rash I've had on my stomach...ever since I quit smoking and started vaping it has been getting red and itchy, well now it is getting painful and spreading a little bit. I switched flavors recently from Gwar Spew to Mount Baker Vapor Happy Rancher, I always just ordered the 50/50 PG/VG mix that they give you by default because that was what the Spew juice was but I was starting to get dried out before that even from the Spew juice, so I stopped by where he works today and everyone was crying so I went in and asked the front desk for him and they said he had a massive heart attack in his sleep Saturday night and passed away. I guess I'll just try a different ratio of PG/VG on my next order and see if that helps with my dry skin, I always had eczema as a baby my ear lobes would split and my little toes would almost split off my feet too as a kid I remember how painful it was sometimes to clean it out while taking a bath and it pretty much went away as I grew up but now I am taking a medication that dries me out and makes my tears and saliva sticky and thick, dries out my mucous membranes, and now I'm getting slight nose bleeds if I pick at something in my nose or blow it too hard, I'd hate to have to give up vaping over the dry skin issues so that is why I joined this community to help find some answers for the little issues that plague us when we first make the switch and not give up because Joe John ran into his own little issues and did what he could to get around it and make vaping as comfortable as possible for himself and it worked like a charm for him because he was determined to change and quit smoking. I share that same attribute as Joe John, I don't ever give up until I'm satisfied with the results and I know he would tell me to figure out what is irritating me and see about getting a mix with something less irritating. He had a past history of drug use so I really don't think vaping had anything to do with his health issues at the end and he was pretty heartbroken after burying his own father a couple months back but I cannot even imagine what his mother is feeling right now after losing her husband and only child this summer. I pray for her as well.

In a few days I will be celebrating my 5th month without a cigarette in memory of Joe John, RIP buddy.

And just today I went and sat in at a meeting up at the place where Joe worked because once in a while I still go back and try to tell the clients that if they straighten out they can do it just like Joe and myself, well one middle aged lady pulled out a Spinner II type mod with a clearomizer attached and took a puff in the middle of the group, and everyone started badmouthing vaping and spreading CRAZY rumors and misconceptions about vaping. I don't really vape inside unless I'm in the restroom or something because of that very reason, people don't know its not real smoke and sometimes people get offended if you vape around them, but sure enough come break time EVERY ONE of those people ran outside and started sucking down their cancer sticks while they stood out there STILL running their mouth about the lady vaping in the room!

I stayed inside with the lady and I told her hey don't listen to them, I vape too and although I just switched a few months back I feel amazing health-wise besides my lung capacity hasn't improved much yet but I was a heavy smoker so I think it will take some extra time...but I couldn't believe the stuff the smokers were saying about vaping and it just shows me how truly ignorant a lot of people can be...the first thing that one guy said after she took a puff was that "they say vaping is WORSE than smoking!", I just felt like saying "who says that? RJ Reynolds? the Marlboro Man?"; followed by total lies and propaganda spread by all the major cigarette manufacturers to keep their sheep in line to buy their products not something healthier that could potentially save their lives, and then someone tried to link Joe John's heart attack to vaping, it was just sick and reminded me of the dark side of recovery- dealing with all the junkies and bums in rehabs and clinics.

A lot of times the good normal people like myself who aren't professional liars and thieves, who worked all their lives, who just ended up in a bad spot due to an accident or bad health, have to mix with people like that in these institutions and programs and it just makes you want to pull your hair out the way some people act. Back when I smoked they would walk up to me outside and say "Gimme a cigarette I know you got more I saw you get that one out of your pack so hook me up", and if you say no, you're almost out they'll try to fight you sometimes! They don't ask half the time they just DEMAND a smoke. I've had people jump in my car up there and demand a ride home! I came across some real money for the first time in my life towards the end of my recovery and there were actually guys who started trying to borrow money off of me at this addiction place, and when I told them I'd see or I'd think about it they would get in my face and say "Oh, you can't lend me a few bucks when you just bought yourself a car and bought your mom a car?", trying to tell me HOW i should spend MY OWN MONEY! It was IN-SANE the kind of stuff Joe John put up with from some of those people up at the place he worked...

My own father took me to a meeting one day up there and he waited in the car for two hours, when I got out he told me if he's ever got to take me back there again he's going to pack a .45 mag because people were looking at him like they were plotting to rob him! I was in rehab with some guys like that too, they think your job is to supply them with cigarettes the whole time you are there, one guy told me he was going to leave rehab that day to go get drugs and asked me if he could wear and keep my winter coat because it was -20 degrees that night well what was I going to wear then?? But the place where Joe John worked is just crazy, and the rumor mill that goes on is INSANE. People make up stories about you if you can't make a meeting and say you're out using and this and that I had some people spread some really crazy stuff about me because I was having a big issue with another client when I had all that money and he kept trying to tell me that I needed to let him borrow a bunch of cash and he kept stalking me and following me around, but I knew it wasn't true so I don't really care. God Bless Joe John for being able to put up with people like that for years, I know I'd be busting some heads if I worked up there!

And I found out that my old councilor Rita has cancer so I've been praying for her a lot lately too...she's got it all through her and she never even had a drug or drinking problem cancer just runs in her family really bad like mine. I pray for everyone and hope Rita makes a full recovery as soon as possible!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread