New eRoll PCC Battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

chefkeith

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2013
USA
Has anyone successfully changed the battery in their eRoll? I took apart the PCC today hoping to order a new battery on eBay, and couldn't find the exact model to fit. The current battery is a 752080, which I believe is 7.5mm high x 20mm wide x 80mm long at 3.7v and 1000 mAh. The closest model I could find (and bigger, for that matter) is a 062280, which is 6mm high x 22mm wide x 80mm long at 3.7v, and the best part 1200 mAh!! :)

This battery sells on eBay for $10.99 with free shipping from Shenzhen (estimated shipping of 10-15 days).

OK, for all you electrical engineers out there, is this thing going to blow up in my pocket, or work like a dream and give me two extra charges of the eRoll?

Here's a picture of the eRoll with the back cover removed:

IMG_1128.jpg

To remove the back cover, remove the small phillips screw from the top of the PCC. Slide the back cover downwards and remove.

It should simply be a matter of desoldering the battery from the board and soldering the new battery in place. The old battery is held in place with double-sided tape.

Here's a picture of the new battery:

1200mah_602280.jpg

I can't see much of a downside to purchasing this battery, and the seller (bestuonline) offers a 1 year warranty on their batteries.

Unless I hear from an EE explaining why I shouldn't order this, I'm thinking I should go ahead and order now, so I'll have it when my PCC inevitably dies. I realize that 22mm is slightly larger than the 20mm stock battery, but I'm positive I can squeeze it in.

Oh, and lastly, just like the stock battery, it has built in circuit to prevent over charging and discharging.

chefkeith

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2013
USA
The battery arrived the other day :) It doesn't have any markings, but looks like it will fit. I haven't had time to pop the old battery out and put the new one in, though.

jatevepa.jpg

And I didn't post a link to the eBay auction, because it would need constant updating. Just search eBay for the size of battery I listed and the seller name, and you'll surely find it.

Cheers!

cloudcity

ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2013
Boston MA
Any news on if this worked as a replacement? If so, was it an easy swap?

I'd love to be able to change the battery instead of just chucking it out or leaving it around as a brick... (seems awefully wasteful to do either...)

And that is something manufacturers like joyetech really need to start considering, making PCC's with easily replaceable batteries.

Hell I'd even pay a little more if it was proprietary connection, so long as I didn't have to waste an entire PCC once drained.

rj134

Jan 6, 2014
Cologne
Hi there,

digging up this old thread cause I'm really interested in this.

I found the 602280 battery on Alixpress and figured I'd share the link.

Also PM'ed chefkeith to ask if he has any update on this i.e. got around to actually try and replace the battery.

I'm gonna refrain from ordering a battery for now cause my PCC is still doing fine and ordering batteries from China can become problematic in Germany due to customs etc. Definitely will do it, though, when the time comes.
Throwing this PCC away due to a failed battery seems like a waste of cash and if we can manage to plug in this 602280 we would not only drive down the maintenance cost of this eRoll by a huge margin but also expand the capacity by a solid 25% :)

It seems to be a pretty easy job judging from the picture. Soldering in the battery should be a piece of cake so the only real queston is whether the 22mm width is a problem.

Last edited:

chefkeith

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2013
USA
Well, my old battery is still going strong, but I thought I'd go ahead with the swap today. Fail!! The new battery doesn't quite fit. In retrospect, I should have noticed this the day I received the battery, but I didn't realize the tolerances are within a millimeter.

Now, it's back to the drawing board. I may go ahead and order another battery if I can find the right size. I thought I was on to something!

chefkeith

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2013
USA
Well, since my old battery was threatening to explode, I went ahead and installed the new-but-slightly-too-large battery. It obviously doesn't fit in the case, but I taped it up and it will work until the new unit arrives. In the meantime, it may be interesting to buy a much larger battery and mount the whole thing in a larger box. It'd be great for camping and the like.

The new battery seems to be functioning properly, and it seems to stop charging the eRoll after it's fully charged. I'll be keeping an eye on it just in case it's a fire hazard - probably keep it in a ceramic bowl like I did when I though the old battery might explode or catch fire.

6u5ypuga.jpg

Newly installed battery.

yjuqe6eh.jpg

Old battery about to explode.

a8a5e9y9.jpg

Temporary tape job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread