New E-Cig tastes awful! Bad juice, or am I doing it wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris97b

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
Houston
Hello all,

I've been reading the forums for a while, and decided to give e-cigs a try. My ego is on order, but being the impatient type (and wanting a backup, as well as a more traditional-looking cigarette to use while driving), I decided I didn't want to wait to try out vaping. I stopped by a smoke shop and picked up what appears to be a 402 clone. It's branded "Randy's", but investigation seems to confirm it's a M402.

The cig seems to be working, but the taste is truly one of the most awful things I have ever experienced. Having read about primer fluid, I attempted to tough it out and continued vaping (without inhaling) but I rapidly became sick at my stomach and dizzy. The taste and smell of the vapor literally makes me feel like I am going to vomit.

It has the little plastic inserts in the carts with the foil caps that are pierced by the atomizer, and while attempting to diagnose the issue I actually disassembled a cart, and the juice smells exactly like the vapor tastes and smells, and just a light sniff immediately caused me to gag. It smells so bad I can actually taste it. I literally had to chain some 3 analogs back-to-back-to-back to try and get that taste out of my mouth.

I'm thinking maybe it's just nasty juice, since at this point I'm fairly positive I'm not just vaping primer fluid or something like that. Does anyone know if juice can go bad? I don't think there's anything in it that would literally ferment or decay, but that's the only thing I can think, since there is no way in heck anyone would *want* to taste this...

Incidentally, the flavor of the juice isn't labeled. The cartriges are simply labeled "traditional" and "high nicotine". As far as what it tastes like, it's very hard to describe. Almost a strong chemical taste, with a minty-like feeling (not a mint taste, just that cool feeling in the mouth). It almost seems like I'm vaping vick's or something like that. Actually the feeling is a lot like getting gasoline in your mouth if anyone here has ever been unfortunate enough to experience that (I was a mechanic for a while).

I'd love to try another juice, but as it's still on order, these prefilled carts are the only juice I have at the moment.

In thinking about it more, I'm also wondering if it's normal for juice to smell different in liquid form than when vaporized? Could it be that I'm not getting enough heat into it or inhaling so fast that it doesn't fully/properly vaporize? I tried charging the batteries again in case I wasn't getting enough voltage, but the charger refuses to charge them any more. A slow light draw improves the vapor production significantly, and feels warm-ish like the cig is working, but if nothing else that just makes the nasty taste that much stronger.

This has happened with both batteries, both atomizers, and 3 cartridges, so I don't think it's just a bad part.

The atomizers also looked bone dry both when new as well as after vaping a bit, so I tried squeezing juice from the disassembled cartridge onto the atomizer directly, but this was exactly the same. It's also definitely not a "burning" or "electrical" taste as others have described, so I don't *think* I'm just vaping it dry, not that I have anything to compare it to :p Is it normal for atomizers to visually appear "dry", or is the liquid coating just thin enough that you can't visually tell wet from dry? Am I right in thinking that the atomizer should always look "wet", even when the cartridge is removed?

I've given up mucking with it at this point, unless someone has any other ideas. I'm not sure how much more of this taste and smell I can take... If anyone has any insights though, I am very interested if I'm just doing something wrong, or if I could have juice that is expired, or if I just literally got a nasty flavor of juice.

I'm beginning to become a bit depressed about the whole thing. If this is what I can expect from vaping, I'd definitely much rather stick with analogs, cancer and all.

Help!

--
Chris

Last edited:

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
The juice that comes with these kits usually tastes like #)%*!! Don't think that's what vaping is going to be like when you get some "real" juice. I HATE the juice that comes with the kits....nasty chemical taste. I don't know if you ordered some "real" juice with the kit you're waiting for, but I hope so. Even that may not be as great as some of the juice you can buy that is made here in America. Go to the juice vendors section and read some reviews about juice. I HIGHLY recommend VaporBomb.com for juice....my personal preference. Others have their preferences. I PROMISE you that once you start getting some real juice, you will see that vaping is way better than smoking in every way. I wish the suppliers of these kits would use some good juice to fill their carts....they should know how off-putting it is to a new vaper. Get some real juice.....order it soon so you'll have it soon. Because even the juice that will come with your eGo in the pre-filled carts won't be nearly as good as the juice you can buy. If you want to just try something to vape without that crappy flavor, just go to Walmart or a drugstore and buy some plain VG (vegetable glycerine) and vape it. No flavor, no nic.....but you'll get tons of vapor and at least it'll clean your taste buds after that nasty stuff. Good luck with getting some real juice. And...you're gonna LOVE that eGo. I sure love mine. I've been using mine for almost two months and it's truly a piece of work! Get the juice.....you'll never look back. Hang in there.....can't wait to hear from you again when it starts coming together for you.

Have you visited the library here? Lots of great information there. And go read some of the juice reviews.....you'll start getting a sense of the whole thing and will see that the world of juice is a fun place to be. And if you live near Tulsa, OK....I'll give you some juice until you can get some.

Last edited:

Chris97b

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
Houston
Yeah, I thought it was primer fluid too at first, that's why I kept toughing it out and puffing as much as I could take. I'm not so sure now though, since the juice in the cart I took apart smells exactly the same as the horrid taste...

Unfortunately I'm about 1,000 mi. from Chicago (Houston area), otherwise I'd take you up on the offer. I do appreciate it though! Very nice to have a community like this, rather than having to sort things out completely on my own :)

Chris97b

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
Houston
JCnewbie,

Now that I'm thinking more clearly (ghod that stuff messed me up...), I'm thinking that's the case. Just ***tty juice. (That's actually very relieving since I plan on rigging up these ghetto carts with some filler for ongoing use as a backup to the ego).

I ordered the ego from elecrto-nic-sticks, and ordered their "Reds" mix too, as well as a key lime bottle (0mg though, in case I like vaping *too* much, I don't want to overdo the nic) :)

I've actually read over the resources on this site pretty extensively, and I've watched probably 5 *hours* of videos :p (Special thanks to cozzcon and mistressnomad, those videos were most excellent!) I'm a bit of a geek, so I get into researching things like this.

I'll just stick to the analogs I think until my ego setup and real juice arrive. Thanks again for the help, and I'll keep everyone updated with my vaping experiences :)

Nomoreash

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2010
Chattanooga, TN
You simply got some undesirable juice. Happens more often than not with the juice that comes with these kits. If I would have based my e-cig experience on my first run of the prefilled carts or even the first 15ml bottle I purchased at the same time without researching I would have given it up then. Don't have any recommendations for you other than to wait till you can get some quality juice, nothing is going to make that taste better. My first run of juice tasted exactly the same. Then I purchased a samples from a recommended vendor on the boards here and everything changed. Not saying they all hit my sweet spot but that was just preference, I could tell instantly they were at a completely different level than what I tried first.

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Chris, if you Google nicotine juice in Houston, Tx you can find some local juices.( BTW, I used to live in Houston and loved it.) That might tide you over til you kit comes in. I think you're gonna love that eGo.......lol......did I already say that? Can't wait to hear from you after you get this going. I think you're going to be amazed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread