New coil and resistance

Status
Not open for further replies.

landonk12

Nov 18, 2017
Not sure what you're asking. Is the new coil the same resistance as the old one? What was the original reading and the new reading?
The coil is exactly the same as the one that I took out but I guess if it’s a new coil then the vape runs at a lower resistance I just wondered how long to leave it at that resistance before going back to what those coils regularly run at

landonk12

Nov 18, 2017
Coils vary a bit in resistance. Unless there is a poor connection between mod and tank the device read the actual resistance of the new coil and you should leave it set at that reading. What was the difference between the two coils?
The coils are the exact same both came with the vape my old one was just burnt so I swapped it out

Walee

ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2017
Even though the coils are stamped with the same resistance each coil will have a different resistance. They will all be close to the same resistance but not the same. Coils can not be made exact enough to be of equal resistance. When you change batteries the mod forgets what the resistance was and asks you again. When you change coils the mod will often see that small difference between the old and the new and also ask you. After you tell the mod once if it is a new or old coil you are good to go. No need to go back and change anything. No worries. Just vape happy!

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
Every time I remove and place batteries in my smok alien an option comes up for “new coil” and the options are yes or no. I put a new coil in so I selected yes and that changed the resistance to less ohms. How long should I leave it at this setting before changing it back to the regular resistance?

Do you have it set for temperature control? The coil resistance will change with temperature. Changing the batteries will cause a new reading so the temperature of the coil at the time will make a difference. Original reading for should be taken at room temperature for best results if you are using TC which it sounds like you are.

When you put in a new coil it may well be a different resistance with factory coils as they are not exact.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Unless the stated resistance is vastly different and/or they are SS coils (which take a bit of heat to change in resistance and then slowly return to room temperature) this shouldn't be being asked, necessarily.... Most of my mods in wattage mode will automatically read the resistance of my new coil, although some read higher or lower... but usually on orders of magnitude of 0.1-0.2 at the most.

If you are using SS coils, and it's a new coil and is cold, you should set the resistance at that time, then not change it. If you are using SS coils, you should use the resistance that is "cold" to set the resistance then, but then keep it there, as it will fluctuate a bit, but should return to normal resistance when cold. If the mod asks if it is a new coil and it ISN'T, again, you should hit no.

To the best of my knowledge the above is accurate, but if it isn't someone should be along to correct me.

It is certainly true that some mods read resistances typically slightly higher or lower (e.g. my steampunk Tesla nano consistently reads a slightly higher resistance on ALL coils) and also true that coils have slight manufacturing differences, but if you are using in straight wattage mode, this shouldn't be a big deal and you should prime at the initial resistance and just leave it there.

Anna

Reactions: Beamslider

Walee

ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2017
Unless the stated resistance is vastly different and/or they are SS coils (which take a bit of heat to change in resistance and then slowly return to room temperature) this shouldn't be being asked, necessarily.... Most of my mods in wattage mode will automatically read the resistance of my new coil, although some read higher or lower... but usually on orders of magnitude of 0.1-0.2 at the most.

If you are using SS coils, and it's a new coil and is cold, you should set the resistance at that time, then not change it. If you are using SS coils, you should use the resistance that is "cold" to set the resistance then, but then keep it there, as it will fluctuate a bit, but should return to normal resistance when cold. If the mod asks if it is a new coil and it ISN'T, again, you should hit no.

To the best of my knowledge the above is accurate, but if it isn't someone should be along to correct me.

It is certainly true that some mods read resistances typically slightly higher or lower (e.g. my steampunk Tesla nano consistently reads a slightly higher resistance on ALL coils) and also true that coils have slight manufacturing differences, but if you are using in straight wattage mode, this shouldn't be a big deal and you should prime at the initial resistance and just leave it there.

Anna

I think you are correct. The only point that I am not sure of is in regard to resistance using wattage mode. The mod still does need to know the resistance of the coil to calculate the proper amount of wattage to apply. The mod can only "read" voltage and calculate amperage. The mod does not need to keep track of changes in resistance as it does with TC however or change the voltage applied real time.

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
Normally, I use TC and get that message only if I actually remove the coil from the mod and put it back while it is still warm. This isn't on the mod he is using though. It is consistent across Pico, DNA and Joyetech mods. I have never seen it on any mod unless TC is set. Some mods also do wattage with a cutoff on temp. A Wotofo mod does something in that area. I don't like it so don't use that mod much.

You can lock the resistance once set to prevent this but I don't bother as it hasn't been an issue.

The only time I have seen this as an issue is when the mod sets in a cold room overnight, if it is cold enough it will ask if the coil is a new one. I just hit no and that satisfies it and it usually doesn't return.

• Useful
Reactions: stols001

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
I'm a little late to the party, but will add my opinion/:2c: anyway.

The Alien, as well as other Smok mods, seem to recognize any changes to your set-up. Right or wrong, it then asks if those changes involved any change to the ohms of the coil. If I have merely swapped out the batteries, a "N" (No) response suffices. If I have changed tanks/coils or have any doubt at all, I respond with a "Y" (Yes) which seems to work fine for me. In wattage mode, I'm not sure if/why always responding with a yes is a problem? While some may consider this an inconvenience, I don't find it as such.

Matter of fact, I wish they all would do like my Mag 225. When it asks, it shows the ohms for both new and old.

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
I'm a little late to the party, but will add my opinion/:2c: anyway.

The Alien, as well as other Smok mods, seem to recognize any changes to your set-up. Right or wrong, it then asks if those changes involved any change to the ohms of the coil. If I have merely swapped out the batteries, a "N" (No) response suffices. If I have changed tanks/coils or have any doubt at all, I respond with a "Y" (Yes) which seems to work fine for me. In wattage mode, I'm not sure if/why always responding with a yes is a problem? While some may consider this an inconvenience, I don't find it as such.

Matter of fact, I wish they all would do like my Mag 225. When it asks, it shows the ohms for both new and old.

I have a Smok Treebox that drove me crazy asking if it was a new coil every time I picked it up (in wattage mod) finally figured out that 510 connection was the issue due to oxidation of the metals that slightly changed the resistance. A little bit of dielectric grease on the 510 prevented the oxidation and cured the problem.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread