Negative results from debridging?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackMetalBuick

ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2010
Chicago, IL
I'm a bit baffled here. I just debridged (and I think unintentionally dewicked) a Volcano Magma atomizer for my Inferno. I wiggled the two layers of mesh over the bridge until they broke off down low near the coil, seemed perfect to me. Wiggled the bridge back and forth until the legs on each side came free and pulled it out. Then sitting loosely on the top of the coil was a little curl of wick material. Not sure if it was already loose in there, or somehow pulled out with the bridge, but I didn't worry since it's a common thing to remove anyway.

spydyq.jpg

2i9q9s2.jpg

Attached to a battery. Did a dry burn. Vapor came off the coil, only a small center section of the coil was glowing. Hit the button again until I could see most of the coil free of gunk and glowing. Dripped a few drops down around the coil until the little pool around it was full.

Now I'm hardly getting a little mouthful of vapor. I'm not inhaling, just exhaling right away to get a good assessment of how much vapor I'm pulling. Not much. I attached a cartomizer to the battery just to check, and getting a ton of vapor off of that. Oh, and now the outer shell of the atty gets very warm after just a few puffs, but I'm guessing it's just the lack of mesh and bridge deflecting the heat inside.

What gives? Not the end of the world, still have cartomizers to use and might order some 306 attys, but I was expecting to be hitting huge clouds of vapor after doing this.

Last edited:

MahBohMan

ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2010
Rhode Island
I did the same thing, its a mistake in my opinion to get rid of the bridge mesh and wick. It seems to either run too hot and burn...or when you drip you get too much juice and no vape. I would blow it out and try 1 drop, or scrap the atty and use it only for a bottom fed mod. I got a few more magma 510 attys in the mail, and they work better if you drip with the wick and bridge in place.

dysfoundation

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 29, 2010
Santa Clarita, CA
Your flooding it, here's what I do and your right it can be the same amount of vapor but taste is better
1 add one drop puff it twice
2do the same as 1 but start puffing a little more
3if need be ONLY add one more or it will fflood and the Atty wont be very productive.
Also if your just using an in modded cartridge then you wont get any vapor due to lack of air flow

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G using Tapatalk

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
1 add one drop puff it twice
2 do the same as 1 but start puffing a little more
3 if need be ONLY add one more or it will fflood and the Atty wont be very productive.
That in a nutshell is why I don't do it.

The mesh/wick act as a reserve, with that now gone getting the right amount of liquid is a pain, and seeing as it's less you now have to do it more frequently. It's a pain even with my feeders as now I'm always pumping and have to do it more carefully.

Kerig3

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2010
Illinois
www.snakesonmybrain.com
I de-wicked a few 510 attys and although it gave more vapor, when the juice starts running dry I get a terrible, burning metal taste. Lately I'm using LR306's which are working great! But I'm worried that if I de-wick them, or even be-bridge them as many people have suggested, I'll get the same terrible taste. Could it be that de-bridging or de-wicking works better only at higher voltage vaping?

grantemsley

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2010
Ontario
I tried debridging a M301/M601XL atty. Did not like the results. I found I had to be a LOT more accurate dripping the juice in the exact center, otherwise it doesn't get where it needs to go. I also found that burning hot juice would occasionally kick up off the coil. With the bridge intact, it hits the bridge instead of my tongue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread