Need help with constant leaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DreC

Jun 10, 2013
USA
I have been using 100% PV juice from a couple of local retailers (trying to support local when I can), but I am having constant issues with leaking. I was using Vivi Nova tanks on an Ego Twist 1100 mAh, and the leaks from the base around the tank and the central shaft where a constant irritation. I decided to upgrade so I got some 510 Boge LR cartos, an AGR tank, and a saddle punch. Watched a number of videos ( followed this one:LET'S PUNCH AND FILL CARTOMIZER TANKS! - YouTube ), but still managed to screw up the first one. I went too deep on the first hole and punctured the inner tube as I never heard the "pop". Nothing, but hot juice in the mouth.

I punched a second with the smallest hole I could make, but after about 5 puffs, the hot juice is once again spraying into my mouth and somehow coming out the bottom past 2 different o-rings in the AGR. I have tried it on the Sigelei #8, #13a, #19, and the Smok "The Natural" Telescopic with a fully charged 18650 protected battery. I know that LR's can kill an Ego, so I have not tried that yet.

Any ideas as to what I am doing wrong? Think the juice is way too thin? Is my hole in the carto too big? Am I just an idiot?

Thank you all for you help, thoughts, and ideas.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I prefer using the pre-punched laser-drilled cartos for my tanks. You can find these with one, two, or three holes. The single holed choice would be best for your current 100% pg liquids. Using pre-punched cartos are much simpler for new tanks users to start out with; their use eliminates the additional issues of learning another new skill in punching their own cartos and just focusing on getting their tank to work optimally.

Your cartos sound like they are flooded. This can be caused from many things. Carto hole size and number of holes. Poorly fitting or damaged tank o-rings. Incorrect method of pre-filling the cartomizer or the tank. Even the vaping technique. Cartotanks require a slow and gentle draw; too hard of a draw can encourage too much juice to enter the carto. There are minor differences in cartomizer brands which can affect how easy it is to flood the carto.

I have a step-by-step tutorial on the method I've been successful with preparing my cartotanks. I also discuss my preference for the laser-drilled cartos in my cartotank blog: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/blogs/baditude/3710-5-cartomizer-tank-setup.html

I have another blog where I list online vendors that sell the pre-punched laser-drilled cartos in this blog: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...nched-single-coil-cartomizers-cartotanks.html

Last edited:

Big Mac

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 16, 2012
Citrus Heights, CA
Howdy DreC,

In reference to the Novas......a few things to watch, do you have the small rubber sleeve over the top of the center post? Easy thing to forget if you're rebuilding or fiddling with them.
There are few other reasons the Nova leaks. If you take the Nova apart, there is actually a very thin, hardly noticeable, gasket, in the bottom and the top chrome piece. Make sure they are in place. Then don't over tighten the tank. Nice and snug, but not so tight as to warp anything. Another thing, look down into the tube with the top off. Is the center post centered? It is not difficult to tweak the inner shaft a bit there by tweaking the seal with the base. the bottom piece is actually 2 pieces, one pressed onto the other. I've tweaked it on more than one occasion.

I guess there is one more thing to watch for. I have had a base split on me.......maybe slightly crack is a better description. Couldn't hardly tell until I sat there watching if for minutes while it slowly formed a small drop of liquid on its side.

When it comes to the carto tanks, Baditude is the one to listen too. I was ready to give up on carto tanks until I read his posts, and carried on a few discussions about the proper way to use them. I now enjoy my carto tanks tremendously. Do a search on his name, read his blog entries, ask questions when you need an answer you can't find. Oh Yeah, buy pre-punched cartos. If ya wanna punch them yourself, do that after you are happy with how carto tanks are vaping for ya. I still buy, Boge XLs, LR, prepunched, in boxes of five. I have 5 boxes on the way now. I paid 6.95 for 5 cartos. There may be a coupon somewhere you can use as well. That's over at LiteCigUSA.

Luck to you my friend.

Mac

Last edited:

DreC

Jun 10, 2013
USA
Thank you all, very much!

I ordered my AGR from www.DiscountVapors.com & my cartomizers from www.SmokTechUSA.com. It is odd that I ordered a 5-pack of 2 Ohm SR's, but all of the wraps show LR on them. I was staying away from the SmokTek cartomizers as I had heard that they would taste burnt (of course there are a thousand different reasons for that), so I will have to order either some of those or the Ikenvape Platinum or 510 Fusion for next time. I probably was drawing too hard as the these as the only other cartomizers that I had tried where the Blu's.

For some reason, a lot of the pictures will not open in Chrome, but I have IE, and Firefox installed, so no biggie :)

I plan on using the new "toys" I just picked up (all mechs with 18650's), does it matter whether I get SR or LR cartomizers? Also, do you just throw out your cartomizers or do you clean them? Does the color of juice lead you to either cleaning or pitching? I use light colored juices for the most part as I am a tobacco flavor guy.

Got the girlfriend into these as well (she promptly stole my new Sigelei #13a), but I have been informed I have to build her a mod, she likes the Provari Mini, and the upcoming Innokin iTaste 134. I guess the money saved from analogs will be going to mods now lol

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
Good advice from Bad.

I've been using a Phinaic glass tank with pre-punched 3-hole cartos and 100% PG for the better part of a year with no leaks or problems at all. I've read of other viva nova leaking problems due to the weak seals. I would sggest a better tank and pre-punched cartos and you should have no problems.

DreC

Jun 10, 2013
USA
I like the AGR and the reviews I have seen around and from PBusardo recommend it, so I will give it another shot with some pre-punched cartomizers when I have the funds (moving across country this weekend). The fact that it can be refilled without opening the tank is what appeals to me the most. The fact that it is a poly tank does not. I have even thought about an AGA-T of some form, but first things first lol

That is one thing about this, it turns into a hobby with a thousand lanes to explore quickly!

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
If you bought your Vivi Nova from Smoktech dual coils cartomizer Manufacturer|dual coils 510 cartomizer|510-DC|510DCT|510-DCT|smok ego dual coils cartomizer|smoktech 510DCT|510 dual coils tank/18650|joye egot|egotank|14650 epower dual coils cartomizer|Elektronische sigaret,e-Zigarett it's a knockoff and is known to have issues. I've been using genuine Vision Vivi Novas for 11 months without issue. As for carto+ tank I vape 60/ 40 to 80/ 20 PG/ VG without problems. I punch one carto hole 2.5 mm wide.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I consider cartomizers a disposable device. IMO they are not worth the time/trouble involved trying to clean them. I figure that I used to spend up to $6 a day on a pack of smokes and thought nothing about it; spending only $2 on a carto that should last me at least a week is a bargain.

Darker and thicker juices will take a harder toll on cartos than clear or normal viscosity liquids.

Your choice of resistance will depend upon your personal preference. If you like a warmer vape, low resistance may be your ticket; for a cooler vape go with standard resistance. Use a 2.5 - 3.0 ohm cart for variable voltage/wattage battery devices for a full range of voltages.

Big Mac

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 16, 2012
Citrus Heights, CA
As Bad said above......what Bad taught me......a consistent draw. 3-5 seconds long. You're not trying to suck a Mickey Ds malt with a straw, you don't have to draw hard, nor fast. The way you draw is partially responsible for replacement juice being drawn into the carto. If you draw hard, you bring more juice into the carto than can be used and the excess goes down the air vent thru the center of the carto and out the bottom.

mightymen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Nov 22, 2012
    No you can't
    Two best tips I have learned. First tip is a real big help with leaks!
    1. Once a month put a very little vaseline jelly on every gasket, gets a much better seal and keeps those gaskets flexable. I use my finger.
    I got a big improvement with leaking, so no leaks in two months.

2. When unscrew tanks etc turn it at the closes point to the device and tank. Out of habit I was grabing any place to get it off. Will get less stress at point of contact to device and less leaking/damage.

DreC

Jun 10, 2013
    USA
    I am using the leaking Nova for now as I do not feel like wasting another bottle of juice on punching the rest of the cartos. I might fill a few with other flavors that are not all day vaps. I have been working on slower, longer draws today, so hopefully a good habit will form. I have been trying to lube of the rings with juice, but I will try some kind of jelly. I really want to move to all glass tanks, but a 2 year old in the house does not bode well for that idea.

Big Mac

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 16, 2012
    Citrus Heights, CA
    I have the mini novas around to use when Im trying a new or different juice. A few full tanks happen to be close by, my diy raspberry, a friends diy peanut butter cup, Christies Capaccino, and PG Hype. They are all within arms reach.

There will be plenty of people to disagree with me but......unless you are using a juice that eats tanks, glass tanks aren't really needed. That being said, I have two glass tanks and five non glass tanks. Its always nice to have at least one when I get a hankerin' for a little ecto.

ImThatGuy

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 1, 2012
    California

DreC

Jun 10, 2013
    USA
    Well, I got a 5-pack of Boge F16's and a SmokPyrex DCT from a local vendor All About Vapor. Knowledgable, friendly, but the wait time is very long. The reason is that they mix every juice while your watch, and will spend an hour with 1 customer to make sure they understand completely what they are getting. Cannot recommend them enough, and hey, I like supporting local when I can :) Had some flooding at first (60 PG/40 VG is their standard), but got that sorted.

Now I am trying to figure out if 2 days before getting a burning taste is normal. I am using 24mg Coffee and vape like a fiend, but I have not let the tank run dry. I have refilled it 3 times now, and the burnt taste came shortly after the 3rd refill. Think this is normal for the juice type, and how I vape, or maybe this one was just weak and failed early?

Big Mac

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 16, 2012
    Citrus Heights, CA
    Well, not sure what to tell ya on how long your cartos are lasting. I judge mine by the number of tanks I put through it as opposed to how many days it lasts. Depending on my juice, I can run between 5 to maybe 10 tanks. I change mine out when they start to plug. Seldom has the taste changed to burnt, mine clog before that. I do end up with maybe one out of every other box, that just doesn't prime correctly and tastes burnt on the first draw.

I use 80/20 pg/vg, use my mechs, dark to light juices, and I do switch up during the day of other tanks/flavors.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread