Need help Ohms vs. Volts w Attys & Cartos w/ my Silver Bullet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
not sure who made that chart but according to it most people vape in the redzone.

Well, not most people. From what I gather from the many posts I've read, the "sweet spot" zone is somewhere between 4.0v and 5.1v, +/- 0.2v. :p

I've tried 6v 's with stacked batteries on my Silver Bullet. I actually hated it. It was too harsh and it burnt the flavors, if you could taste any flavor at all. I can't for the life of me figure out why those super high voltage vapors need all that wattage. Is it all about throat it?

I much preferred my trial with the 4.8v nimh batteries that I told you about. Their downfall was the short battery life, but it did give me the opportunity to realize that a little bit of higher voltage could be a good thing.

All my vaping on my Provari has been between 3.7v and 5.0v's, and I'm very content with that.

Last edited:

djwyman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 14, 2012
Lake Charles La
Well, not most people. From what I gather from the many posts I've read, the "sweet spot" zone is somewhere between 4.0v and 5.1v, +/- 0.2v. :p

I've tried 6v 's with stacked batteries on my Silver Bullet. I actually hated it. It was too harsh and it burnt the flavors, if you could taste any flavor at all. I can't for the life of me figure out why those super high voltage vapors need all that wattage. Is it all about throat it?

I much preferred my trial with the 4.8v nimh batteries that I told you about. Their downfall was the short battery life, but it did give me the opportunity to realize that a little bit of higher voltage could be a good thing.

All my vaping on my Provari has been between 3.7v and 5.0v's, and I'm very content with that.

well most people I have met in the vaping community vape somewhere between 8 and 12 watts weather it be 3.7v and lr attys/cartos or hv and normal resistance items. my personal favorite vape is 1.5 ohm attys at some where between 3.7-4.2 depending on the juice and the particular atty (306 or 901 mostly) but i am also a dripper so I use attys not carto's (though I do enjoy on occasion a 1.7 smoktech in a tank)

again everyone is different I just think that as far as that chart goes it has the red zone being a little low since there are a lot of people who live in the 8-12watt range. but it is still good for telling you what different vape combos will give you.

Rader2146

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 11, 2012
Waco, TX
Voltage and resistance by themselves are meaningless; ie: "I vape at 4v" or "I like 2.0 ohms."

Together they form watts (volts^2 / ohms), a measure of power. In our case it translates into strength of the vape. "I like 8 watts."

(4v * 4v) / 2ohms = 8watts

You can get 8 watts any number of ways.

(6 * 6) / 4.5 = 8

Those 2 examples theoretically would vape exactly the same. Real world, there may be slight, but probably unnoticeable differences due to several factors.

Last edited:

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
Voltage and resistance by themselves are meaningless; ie: "I vape at 4v" or "I like 2.0 ohms."

Together they form watts (volts^2 / ohms), a measure of power. In our case it translates into strength of the vape. "I like 8 watts."

(4v * 4v) / 2ohms = 8watts

You can get 8 watts any number of ways.

(6 * 6) / 4.5 = 8

Those 2 examples theoretically would vape exactly the same. Real world, there may be slight, but probably unnoticeable differences due to several factors.
While I kinda agree, but there are actually a lot of significant factors that influence the vape at the same watts. We don't vape watts. Even different gauges of wire in the same atty, even if the ohms are identical will vape differently. The original DSE901 and 801 which had nearly identical ohms (3+) had very distinctive characteristics. There was no confusing the two.

NancyR

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Washington State
well most people I have met in the vaping community vape somewhere between 8 and 12 watts weather it be 3.7v and lr attys/cartos or hv and normal resistance items. my personal favorite vape is 1.5 ohm attys at some where between 3.7-4.2 depending on the juice and the particular atty (306 or 901 mostly) but i am also a dripper so I use attys not carto's (though I do enjoy on occasion a 1.7 smoktech in a tank)

again everyone is different I just think that as far as that chart goes it has the red zone being a little low since there are a lot of people who live in the 8-12watt range. but it is still good for telling you what different vape combos will give you.

Keep in mind tho the chart isn't based off personal taste, it is based off what is best for your equipment. If someone chooses to go over that then that is on them.

djwyman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 14, 2012
Lake Charles La
Keep in mind tho the chart isn't based off personal taste, it is based off what is best for your equipment. If someone chooses to go over that then that is on them.

I don't really buy that as being the case at all. 1.5ohm stuff for instance were built to run on 3.7 devices. They are not recommended on anything less such as egos and stick batteries yet according to that chart they will melt and are un safe on 3.7 and above. Which is not the case at all because with a 3.7v tube mod it is having anywhere between 4.2 ant 3.5v ran threw it and they are not melting and things like that.

Rader2146

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 11, 2012
Waco, TX
My thoughts, from a different thread, on the chart that has been circulating around:

The more I see that chart, the more I disagree with it. Who actually gets a "good" vape from 4 watts? VERY few. And how many vapers are running over 8 watts with zero issues? A lot.

In this case, the terms "safe" and "best" are subjective and a matter of opinion. The red area can give a false sense of danger. Nichrome melts at around 2500*F and most lead free solder is around 400*F. The poly fill or wick material is going to burn and give the most discussing taste you've ever experienced before either of those 2 things melt. As long as you keep things wet there is little to worry about.

In the end, vape what you like and what tastes good to you. Only experimentation is going to tell you what you like. For a quick refernce and starting point, the chart is okay. Don't hold back and settle for a less than satisfiying vape because a chart says that you are in the red zone.

I've been to 16 watts on a dual coil, I'm pretty sure it didn't melt. It was actually a decent vape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread