Naturally extracted tobacco feels different

Status
Not open for further replies.

papercrow

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2012
Baltimore
So after fumbling with fruits, and having success with teas, I finally made my first tobacco (black cavendish pipe tobacco) extract tonight.

Two hits from the atomizer and I had that cigarette 'buzz' that is lacking in everything else I vape. After 6 + months of vaping I still smoke a few a day for this exact sensation that I wasn't able to get even with 32mg of nic.

I am guessing that the sensation is from the 'whole tobacco alkaloids' that I have read so much about.

Has anyone else had this experience?

papercrow

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2012
Baltimore
In the extract I posted about above I used 2 tbsp of pg and 1 tbsp of black cavendish pipe tobacco. I cooked it in an open coffee cup double boiler style for about 45 mins. Strained it with a kitchen strainer and then with a wet coffee filter. I mixed it at 10% with a 60vg/40pg ration and 24mg nic.

While I certainly love the smooth, almost tea like flavor and buzzy sensation it gives me, it does gunk up the coils on my vivi nova and they have to be changed every two days...but I rewick my own so it's cheap. And I should mention, totally worth it. :)

Scott2Quit

Verified Member
Nov 13, 2012
Springfield, Mo
I've been lurking these forums a bit and I'd LOVE to hear about any experiences with a natural extraction giving the impression that you're also feeling WTA's. I'm one of those smokers who's unfortunately addicted to something in cigs beyond just nic. I started experimenting with Snus yesterday, it does help. But I'd love to be able to create my own WTA juices.

t.d

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 23, 2009
SoCal
Also, I just learned that pipe tobacco can have up to 30% sugar in it. I had no idea, and that explains the coil gunk. So my cheap cigar extractions are in the works now.

Is that the wet kind? Anyway I guess I got too excited, I thought you didn't have a nic base for your extract. Ima buy some premium rolling tobacco in the next day or two and try my best at this.

VaporMizer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2012
I too would love to hear more about making tobacco extracts.

I wonder if there's a way to get the sugar out. Brainstorming here, but maybe it could be fermented out? That would leave you with alcohol, which could be evaporated.

Yeah, I've been trying to figure out how to eliminate or break down the sugar, too. Maybe just dilute by using a low percentage of extract mixed with the nic base and then rely on long steep times to build flavor?

Not only does sugar mess up coils right away, but it doesn't seem like it would be too good inhaled into the lungs either (seems like it would gunk them up too). To be safe it might be best to just puff on sugary extracts, like a pipe, rather than inhale them like a cigarette.

Last edited:

VaporMizer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2012
I just had a thought....

Natural tobacco extracts DO feel different, and all along I also have been thinking it must be that we're getting some WTA, but maybe it is the natural sugar we're feeling? Most standard e-liquids use only artificial sweeteners, but even natural unadulterated tobacco contains sugar.

I kind of hope not because sugar just doesn't play well with atomizers. Hmmmm.....

rolf

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2012
spokane wa
hi scoot
wondering also how to remove sugar ! and then replacing it with other artificial sweeteners if needed.
I used to brew beer ...I don't know if the jeast would grow in our concoction ! sure would be nice if that works.
I used pipe tobaccos cooked in slowcooker for 26 hrs filtered in natural coffee filters 4 times. taste is fantastic !!
started out using 20 percent attys don't last to long. now using 10 percent , not much better . using genneses typy atty at 1.5 ohms.
since the flavor is so nice I would continue ...even with atty problems .
as you said I also think it is the sugar and not a particular problem .
if you try fermentation please let us know the results . rolf

spaceballsrules

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2011
North Carolina, USA
Then what gave him a buzz? lol :)

My take on it is that tobacco flavor extraction results in lots of impurities. Even with careful decanting and filtering, these impurities are still there. That is why NETs are notoriously tough on the wick and coil. When these impurities reach the coil, they aren't being vaporized. They are actually burning, so you get smoke hidden within the vapor. It's not much, especially when compared with smoking an actual cigarette, but it might just be enough to get you that "buzz."

This is just a tin foil hat theory, so take it with a grain of salt. :2c:

Mrtrucker40108

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Brandenburg, KY, USA
Don't start with a Cavendish... Cavendish is actually a cooking process performed on tobacco generally involving ADDING sugar.

Also regarding that RYO tobacco mentioned... It is processed just like regular cigarette tobacco regardless of how 'premium' it is.

I would suggest whole leaf tobacco (available online) or perhaps one of the GL Pease OR Gawith Hoggarth & Co pipe blends.

VaporMizer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2012
Not as handy as a way to eliminate sugars, but here is an article that lists the relative sugar contents of tobacco by type and curing methods:

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/tobacco-basics-nicotine-amp-sugar-content-curing-methods

Burley has the lowest sugar by type and fire cured has the least sugar by curing method, so:

"Fire-cured tobaccos like 'Dark-Fired Kentucky' and 'Green River Kentucky' have some of the highest nicotine and little to no sugars at all."

Note that a lot of times these would be sold in blends with high sugar varieties or sugary casing flavors, so you'd have to shop around for the unadulterated real deal.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread