My senator didn't read my message either

Status
Not open for further replies.

MonkeyMonk

ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2009
This was my response to my e-cigarette letter: (BTW. Lisa is not my name, he got that one wrong, too)

Dear Lisa:
Thank you for contacting me. I appreciate your taking the time to share your concerns. I am grateful to have so much input from my constituents.
Already, I have worked with my Senate colleagues in Washington to enact legislation that will reinforce the foundations of Illinois. The passage of the stimulus package will create jobs and fix our ailing infrastructure. Along with Senator Joe Lieberman, I have introduced the Enhanced Oversight of State and Local Economic Recovery Act (S. 1064) to provide oversight for activities conducted with money from these stimulus funds. This year we have expanded healthcare coverage for children and pushed for equal pay for working women. The Senate has also taken on special interests to make credit card agreements fair, passed the Helping Families Save Their Homes Act (S. 896) to help stem foreclosures, and the Weapon Systems Acquisition Reform Act (S. 454) to streamline defense acquisition and save the American people money.
Along with President Obama, I hope to help fix our broken healthcare system, push to give our children education for their future, and rebuild our weakened economy. We hope to act on comprehensive immigration reform, create green jobs through alternative energy, and support our troops fighting overseas in Iraq and Afghanistan even as we work to bring them home.
Finally, I want to apologize for the delay in my response. I receive an average of 10,000 letters and emails per week from my Illinois constituents. I hope that you will continue to contact me in the future about other issues of concern to you.
It is an honor to serve as your Senator, and I look forward to working for you and our great state in the years ahead. I appreciate the benefit of your perspective, and I will consider your thoughts as they come to the floor of the Senate. If you need anything further, feel free to contact our office at (202)-224-2854.
Sincerely,
Roland W. Burris
United States Senator

WerkIt

ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2009
You have to understand the American political game and how it is played. First of all, you must be rich, although having great influence, by being the CEO of Disney or Phillip Morris, will only serve to help you. Second of all, you must donate to the election campaigns of BOTH senators who ran for office. This way, no matter who wins, they will be in your pocket, assuming your campaign donation was large enough to get noticed. If you do all of the above, you will be heard. If not, you will be ignored and they will not even know your name. Sad, but true. Welcome to the United Corporations of America.

Last edited:

HK45

ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2009
USA
What we really need is our own political lobbyist bugging the crap out of these politicians everyday. We have to find someone that already has the "in" to get our message heard or we are nothing. That is how the tobacco companies have done it. Same with the NRA and the Brady Bunch. It is all done with lobbyist.

If the only thing the 60's accomplished it put the fear of God into the government. Sadly, it seems, that we have been relegated to sheep without voices. Our small bleats of protest too weak to be heard.

Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin, and George Washington would have been mad vapers!

Trivial Tidbit: George Washington made and marketed his own brand of liquor that is still sold today. I bought a bottle once but can't remember where or what the name is but it wasn't bad!

RandallFlagg

ECF Veteran
May 14, 2009
Denver, Co, USA
What we really need is our own political lobbyist bugging the crap out of these politicians everyday. We have to find someone that already has the "in" to get our message heard or we are nothing. That is how the tobacco companies have done it. Same with the NRA and the Brady Bunch. It is all done with lobbyist.

I say we (Nicotine users) just sue the government for discrimination. For harassment. For something. This is getting beyond stupid.

We went to WAR over a leafy, consumable plant once.

Vapor Pete

The Vapor Pope
ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2009
Rochester, NY
Did you think your senator would? I wrote three senators three months ago... I didnt even get so much as a form letter with the wrong name. I would have considered that lucky.
Now, if you had paperclipped a check for 1.2 Million to your letter, Im sure you would have gotten a response and perhaps some backing. If we learn anything from this, let us learn that our government needs to be bought. If you cant buy them, consider yourself unheard. Just my opinion.
My best,
-VP

Guys... I think a big thing for these guys/gals is that they get VOTES in the future... so saying that you are a member of the "XXXX" Vapers Club makes a difference.. because they know you can influence votes! They asked how many were in our "club".

This is what matters to them. Explain to them that this will affect all the people using this device and all smokers as well (they know that is a reasonably high numbber of their voters).

This is how to get a response. Also... continue to call/write and if they tell you to stop.. tell them if they don't want to listen to you... they can watch it on the 10 o'clock news.

That seems to work :)

Surf Monkey

Cartel Boss
ECF Veteran
May 28, 2009
Sesame Street
A couple of things about contacting representatives:

1) They get thousands, sometimes tens of thousands of letters each week. It's not realistic to expect them to read and respond to ever one. If they did, they'd never get anything done except that.

2) Writing is about the worst way to get your voice heard. The best way is to call on the phone.

3) Even though email and letters are not the best way to contact a Senator or Congressman, they are all categorized and counted. Representatives pay attention to this kind of feedback, particularly when there's a lot of it on a specific topic. They have staff who look at every letter and email. They don't just ignore them or discard them in the trash.

It's all well and good to be cynical, but it's a good idea to know how your government works before smearing it publicly.

dEFinitionofEPIC

ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2009
NJ
A couple of things about contacting representatives:

1) They get thousands, sometimes tens of thousands of letters each week. It's not realistic to expect them to read and respond to ever one. If they did, they'd never get anything done except that.

2) Writing is about the worst way to get your voice heard. The best way is to call on the phone.

3) Even though email and letters are not the best way to contact a Senator or Congressman, they are all categorized and counted. Representatives pay attention to this kind of feedback, particularly when there's a lot of it on a specific topic. They have staff who look at every letter and email. They don't just ignore them or discard them in the trash.

It's all well and good to be cynical, but it's a good idea to know how your government works before smearing it publicly.

Are you a mason?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread