my second diy mod idea, need some help

Status
Not open for further replies.

neotekz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2010
canada
i just got back into vaping after a 3 year absent. I was able to quit analogs for about 6 months the first time. My first box i made was back in 2010, it was a variable voltage box using parts from madvapes that worked well but wasnt pretty. I used dual 15270 batteries in series and manage to fit it in an AA project box.

For this box i was thinking of using the dna 20d with two 18350 in parallel in and try to fit that in an ebay 18650 project box. I want the mod as small as possible similiar to my first mod so i will be cutting that box down. I would be folding the screen to the back of the board so that the screen is on the front and buttons on the back. There are a few things that i havent figured out yet since i dont have the dna or box to play with yet.

I've been looking at lots of diy mods on this forum and it seems like most people prefer to wire their own up/down buttons instead of using the ones on the board. what should i use for actuators? i would prefer a nice small one that i can buy but i can also make something myself. Maybe a small upside down screw from a cell phone or tablet(i have lots of those). I would like a nice fire button like a chrome horn switch.

One of my problems with my old mod was the 510 connector, it was hard for me to get a a solid mount to the box. i first tried some none conductive expoxy but it was still not strong enough. How do you guys mount the 510 connector, screen and board on a plastic box so that nothing will move around and is fairly durable?

Or another option would be to commission one of the pros here to do it for me, are there people that are willing to take something like this on? i applied for verified member status a few days ago and just waiting for approval so maybe i can find something that i like in the classifieds.

Edit: i meant to saw two 18350 batteries in parallel not two 18650.

Last edited:

neotekz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2010
canada
If you are looking to purchase you might look at shanmods.com......there are alot of 20d mods being sold by vendors....nhaler.com sells the OpusD....

i saw the opus and like the form factor but small lipo pack is a deal breaker. That mod with its lipo pack would last half a day for me. i will be using the mod for 1.5-1 ohm genesis and rsst builds and maybe even sub ohm if the dna and handle it. i read that the dna works like a mechanical for sub ohm RBAs. Shanmods looks promising though i will email him to see if i can get one with two 18350s in parallel.

i really like your dna-20d mini mod and want something similar just with a 18350s instead of lipo packs. Do you know anyone selling something like this? Any chance you would want to build something like that for me? :p

Last edited:

Sad Society

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Did you find an 18650 project box?

The link you have is for 18650 battery holders and I've been looking (and looking) and still cannot find an 18650 box...like how they make AA boxes with the door. Unless you plan on using and 18650 storage case, the closest I've found is this one DIY 18650 | eBay

And mamu already made one using that case with pics in this thread. http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/battery-mods/411195-denali-dna20d.html

As far as mounting the screen...mamu also designed a screen cradle at Shapeways. I have one and it fits the screen perfect. I still have yet to build my DNA20 because I'm still waiting on other parts to arrive. But the screen cradle will give the screen a professional look. mamu has that screen cradle on the Denali.

Did I mention that mamu is totally awesome for helping the DNA modders out?:)

As far as Shanmods go...Shan is a girl BTW.

retird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2010
North Side
i saw the opus and like the form factor but small lipo pack is a deal breaker. That mod with its lipo pack would last half a day for me. i will be using the mod for 1.5-1 ohm genesis and rsst builds and maybe even sub ohm if the dna and handle it. i read that the dna works like a mechanical for sub ohm RBAs. Shanmods looks promising though i will email him to see if i can get one with two 18350s in parallel.

i really like your dna-20d mini mod and want something similar just with a 18350s instead of lipo packs. Do you know anyone selling something like this? Any chance you would want to build something like that for me? :p

Nope, I do not build a mod with 18350's......and do not sell mods either.....

If you are wanting a mod to last all day with sub-ohm's I doubt 2-18350's will do the job....2- imr 18350 at 800mah would be 1600mah..my mod has a single 1500mah batt and with 3.0 ohm carto lasts about 8 hours (the way I vape).

Example: 8.4 watts with a .7 ohm carto pulls 3.46 amps where at 8.4 watts a 3.0 ohm carto pulls 1.67 amps. Thus battery life with sub-ohm's will be greatly reduced.... :):)

Last edited:

neotekz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2010
canada
Did you find an 18650 project box?

The link you have is for 18650 battery holders and I've been looking (and looking) and still cannot find an 18650 box...like how they make AA boxes with the door. Unless you plan on using and 18650 storage case, the closest I've found is this one DIY 18650 | eBay

And mamu already made one using that case with pics in this thread. http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/battery-mods/411195-denali-dna20d.html

As far as mounting the screen...mamu also designed a screen cradle at Shapeways. I have one and it fits the screen perfect. I still have yet to build my DNA20 because I'm still waiting on other parts to arrive. But the screen cradle will give the screen a professional look. mamu has that screen cradle on the Denali.

Did I mention that mamu is totally awesome for helping the DNA modders out?:)

As far as Shanmods go...Shan is a girl BTW.

Oh i must of linked the wrong address, too many tabs, i meant to link that box not the holders...Im thinking i can cut it down quite a bit if i use 18350s instead. Im hoping i can get the mod to be about the same size at two 18650s side by side.

mamu's Denali mod is where i got the idea to use that box from, i was thinking of putting the screen and buttons in a different orientation though. Screen on one side and buttons on the other. With a micro usb charge port somewhere too.

you just blew my mind with Shapeways. That site opens so many possibilities with boxes, maybe even steel too if it's not too expensive. i need to start playing with Blender or sketchup and see if i can make a 3d drawing.

mamu's screen cradle looks great i will add it to the parts list.

Nope, I do not build a mod with 18350's......and do not sell mods either.....

If you are wanting a mod to last all day with sub-ohm's I doubt 2-18350's will do the job....2- imr 18350 at 800mah would be 1600mah..my mod has a single 1500mah batt and with 3.0 ohm carto lasts about 8 hours (the way I vape).

Example: 8.4 watts with a .7 ohm carto pulls 3.46 amps where at 8.4 watts a 3.0 ohm carto pulls 1.67 amps. Thus battery life with sub-ohm's will be greatly reduced.... :):)

yah i didnt think you would want to, considering how much work is involved. I dont need my mod to last all day, im currently using a vamo with rsst and have it coiled to 1.5ohms vaping at around 10watts. With this setup i have to change the batteries a few times a day which is fine with me.

I downloaded milo's dna mod tutorial the other day and will def. be using it for a wiring guide.

dr g

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2012
Paradise
i saw the opus and like the form factor but small lipo pack is a deal breaker. That mod with its lipo pack would last half a day for me. i will be using the mod for 1.5-1 ohm genesis and rsst builds and maybe even sub ohm if the dna and handle it. i read that the dna works like a mechanical for sub ohm RBAs.

IMO using the DNA 20d without its regulation and/or with super low resistance is a waste.

neotekz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2010
canada
i just ordered the dna 20d, and the 18650 boxes and fire button from ebay. I will try to wire buttons but if it takes too much space i might just use the on board buttons. Seems like shapeways is out for boxes, they are surprisingly expensive since it takes a lot of material to make a box.

im still not sure what to do for the 510 connection though, i want something solid but also not sticking out of the mod. The 510 with nut seems like my best bet so far but i dont like how it sticks out of the top. Is there a easy method to secure a standard 510 to the battery box? i dont want to have to use epoxy again. My buddy knows a machinist so i ask him if he can make one for me.

IMO using the DNA 20d without its regulation and/or with super low resistance is a waste.

Yah i agree that it's a waste if you only use it as a mechanical but having a mod that can do it and is vv/vw with a gorgeous screen. ill most likely stay at 1.5ohms, just wanted to experiment with sub ohms.

dr g

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2012
Paradise
Yah i agree that it's a waste if you only use it as a mechanical but having a mod that can do it and is vv/vw with a gorgeous screen. ill most likely stay at 1.5ohms, just wanted to experiment with sub ohms.

What I mean by that is you might as well wrap for higher resistance to get into the regulation, since the board can support the power level.

tmassey

ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2012
texas
Last edited:

neotekz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2010
canada
for epoxy i use Blue Magic 16002 QuikSteel Steel Reinforced Epoxy Putty Repair, Blister Pack - 2 oz. : Amazon.com : Automotive, you can buy it at walmart. its overly strong but not so ez to replace parts if you do run into issues. and it seems like you are trying to do somethin like this guy My DNA 20 only difference is hes usning a single 18650

wow that mod looks great, exactly how i want mine to look. I may go with one 18650 now that i know everything can be fitted on the other side like that, i didnt think there was enough space. do you guys think a single 18650 is a better idea than 2 18350?

anyone know where he got those buttons? i really like them.

You can actually build screw mounts with quiksteel for removability...

how do i do that with quiksteel? just mold it around a 510 connector and unscrew it before it hardens?

hopefully parts will come next week, im in canada so its going to take a while. ill update the thread with my progress as i go.

dr g

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2012
Paradise
how do i do that with quiksteel? just mold it around a 510 connector and unscrew it before it hardens?

That's one way, you could do it any number of ways. Basically quiksteel can be drilled and screwed into so you can build pads however you like. On my mod I used quiksteel to secure the 510 connector using a ring inside the mod, then put a couple of screws into it from the outside to provide additional holding. that's not a removable example however, technically, unless you were to pry it off after hardening and have it hold with only the screws. there might be some release material you could use, or you could build the ring on the base of the 510 outside the mod, then sand/shave flat, and put screws in.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread