My parents are smoking again..

Status
Not open for further replies.

patkin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2012
Arizona USA
I'm hear to say: It's NOT harder for OLDER people!!! I'm 70 and know a whole lot of people here are over 60 at least. Check out the "Older people" threads. Also, show your folks the videos done by "vaporpoint" on youtube. Get them involved with people their age. These "older people" are the smoking generation actually and I would venture to say there are MORE of them vaping than there are younger ones. They just aren't as internet or otherwise as socially active so you don't realize it. I've been to local B&Ms and seen them. Don't start casting vaping as a younger crowd thing... that's a sure way to turn them off to it for reasons I won't go into.

Here's a starting point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3h2DjA7lB0
https://www.youtube.com/user/vapingpoint

Last edited:

Weedity

ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2014
New Jersey
My mom has been struggling with her quitting. She got a starter kit e-cig and when from a pack a day smoker to 8 cigs a day. Thing is, I feel like she isn't committed enough. She thinks 8 cigs a day is "good enough." I just feel like she will keep giving in to cigarettes as long as they are around her.

Thing I've noticed with her generation is they are very biased and accustomed to their own ways. It's their way or the highway. They don't like taking advice from others. Of course, this could just be the people her age I know and that's what they are like, but this is just my speculation. She HARDLY was convinced to get an e-cig. Every time I give her advice about it, it's like she doesn't want to her it. She complains about not enough vapor, I tell her ways to get more vapor and she just kinda shrugs. Eh.

I guess 8 cigs a day is better than 20 at least.

HauntedMyst

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2013
Chicago
Tonight, go out to a real tobacco shop and buy each one a pack of their favorite smokes. While you are there, pick up a dozen pre-filtered roll your own cigarettes and in each one put a lady finger fire cracker (they are big enough to bang but small enough not to hurt them) and slip them randomly inside their packs. After a few of those have gone off in their faces, they will quit smoking.

Bramble

ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2014
Utah
I'm hear to say: It's NOT harder for OLDER people!!! I'm 70 and know a whole lot of people here are over 60 at least. Check out the "Older people" threads. Also, show your folks the videos done by "vaporpoint" on youtube. Get them involved with people their age. These "older people" are the smoking generation actually and I would venture to say there are MORE of them vaping than there are younger ones. They just aren't as internet or otherwise as socially active so you don't realize it. I've been to local B&Ms and seen them. Don't start casting vaping as a younger crowd thing... that's a sure way to turn them off to it for reasons I won't go into.

Here's a starting point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3h2DjA7lB0
https://www.youtube.com/user/vapingpoint

Agree... age means nothing. Some people stop moving forward at 40, some of us never stop moving.

AmandaD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2013
So Cal
Don't write them off as being old.....many of us are 'old' and love it, and yes, it became a hobby. But for many it's just a means to an end, and it will never become a hobby.

I've turned several people onto vaping, and none of them see it as a hobby - it's merely something they enjoy more than cigarettes. All of them have simple ego setups with reliable tanks.

That said, make sure the nic level is enough. Make sure they like the juice. If you get those two things right you're much more likely to have them stay with vaping.

And I'd absolutely nix the bigger/badder mods - don't make it 'weird' for them if they're not even interested in making it a hobby.

alisa1970

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2013
Portland, OR
I agree with the above. While I'm not "old" yet, I think my 21 year old step daughter thinks I am. :D I was a "crochety old lady" when I was in my 30's, so age really has nothing to do with it. Although as we get older, we do tend to stick to what we know works.

I love the "idea" of vaping being a hobby, but lack of time and funds pretty much limits me. I'm quite satisfied with my AroII Pyrex and Evod clearos on my VV V3. I do re-wick with cotton, and I plan on recoiling but I've been saying that for months now. Eventually...

I started with an eRoll, and that's what got me to quit, even though I wasn't planning to. I have a Zen mod and a Spinner, and of course the VV. It isn't the gear that's the problem, it's the mindset. If you don't have that, even the bestest mod and RDA just isn't gonna fly.

grandmato5

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2010
WNY
You're a great son for wanting to help your parents quit smoking and I understand your frustration with finding out they are smoking again.

The thing is, you haven't talked to them yet. You need to talk to them and find out what THEY want. Find out from them what happened and if they honestly still want to switch to vaping. Maybe they want to still smoke a couple cigs a day and vape the rest of the day. A lot of people do that. Its not about the cigs you smoke, its about the ones you don't.

If there is something that will work for them long term it has nothing to do with age, but everything to do with individual preferences. Each of your parents may need something different. Don't forget that even though you love your kayfun that doesn't mean its going to be the magical device to keep your parents vaping. In the end its all up to your parents to decide if they really want to never smoke a cigarettes again and if they are willing to stick with vaping on the days that it's not going so smoothly.

Buggainok

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2014
oklahoma city ok usa
KODIAK™;12596531 said:
My friend, it has nothing to do with the gear you gave them or the coils in them. Most of us started with what we consider crap these days but we still stuck with said crap and evolved.

They just don't want to quit yet.

Nate, I know how much you want this to work for your folks, but I have to agree with Kodiak. A much wiser person than me said this:

"When the student is ready, the teacher will appear."

I have struggled through the years trying to help many of my family members stop self-destructive behavior. I just couldn't do it for them. They had to want to stop for themselves.

patkin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2012
Arizona USA
IMHO you're going in the wrong direction. Don't go bigger and more complicated. Keep it simple and closer to the smoking they're used to. Buy them each an Njoy Bold and see what they think. If they like it get them both Erolls. They've smoked for a whole lot of years. That's what they're used to. Vaping is a pretty weird feeling to get used to and doesn't substitute for the feel of a cigalike. I still use an Eroll along with my other setups. I use it when I have the urge to smokell like when I do things I always smoked with... going for a walk, sitting outside, talking on the phone... old habits are hard to break. I need the feel of a smoke then still.

PeppermintPatty

ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2014
California
IMHO you're going in the wrong direction. Don't go bigger and more complicated. Keep it simple and closer to the smoking they're used to. Buy them each an Njoy Bold and see what they think. If they like it get them both Erolls. They've smoked for a whole lot of years. That's what they're used to. Vaping is a pretty weird feeling to get used to and doesn't substitute for the feel of a cigalike. I still use an Eroll along with my other setups. I use it when I have the urge to smokell like when I do things I always smoked with... going for a walk, sitting outside, talking on the phone... old habits are hard to break. I need the feel of a smoke then still.

This. I was going to suggest something similar but patkin beat me to it. I am one of the few on here who love my cigalikes. Njoy is supposed to be one of the most similar to analogs, there is another EHookah/Ecig company that makes disposables with soft tip that is also supposed to be very realistic called Rejuve, might check into it.

I love my little cig a likes, the key to long term use is to have plenty of batteries, I like my shortys, they do not last as long but they are teensy and so lightweight. I am vaping Buttery Nipple right now off a V2 shorty. I use both prefilled and blank cartridges, I refill my prefilleds even, to get a little more money out of them, but honestly, you don't have to. You can just open the pack, screw on a new prefilled, boom, good to go. Aside from going through disposables, I cannot think of anything easier.

I know most vapers on here do not see the point in cig a likes but it seems the majority who start vaping on their own go through a cigalike transition. Those of you "helping" friends and family get started and going to typically bipass that step, it seems totally logical to you, but maybe some folks need that transitional step to get used to vaping. Perhaps starting them off with more advanced equipment is just too much of a change all at once.

NicLiq

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 11, 2011
Twin Cities, MN
nicliq.blogspot.com
My husband and I are almost 3 years into vaping and we were highly motivated because he was diagnosed with COPD. You are a great son for wanting to help your parents, I sure hope they can quit.

I went to a REO almost immediately, but it's not for everyone, and it would have never worked for my husband. We had to find what worked for him because he was relying too heavily on me, so I want to caution you against doing too much for them. The setup that he can handle is an eGo pass-thru battery and a tank. Right now he's using a Davide King pyrex tank with a dual coil. The coil/wick is contained so all he has to do is replace that and fill it with juice. Using the pass-thru battery was important because he was leaving the house with a battery that was about to go dead, so he's got a USB in the car so he can hook up to it and vape immediately. That seemed to alleviate a lot of anxiety - why he can't keep his batteries charged, I don't know.

The whole thing for them might be about knowing that what they have is going to work right away without having to think too hard about it.

RedVelvet

Mar 21, 2014
Nassau, NY
Ok, bec you were successful, you prob have forgotten how frustrating it was to have ppl bothering you to quit all the time. Sucked, didn't it? That doesn't work. Props for being a good son. Feel your pain - trying to get my mother to switch. I lead by positive example, offer help refilling, etc. She smokes & vapes. It helps at least w/cutting back. But I do not push. Help, stay positive, give it time.. Good luck :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread