My coffee extraction is very weak, troubleshooting please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Widowmaker_

ECF Veteran
May 9, 2013
Philly
Last edited:

Widowmaker_

ECF Veteran
May 9, 2013
Philly
Awesome. Let us know how they work.

They work very well and they're actually 1.0 micron, not 1.2. It looks like they will last a while too. I filtered ~120 ml of extract that was already filtered with coffee filters and the 1.0 micron filter is still going strong with no noticeable increase in back pressure or clogging.

I filtered similar flavors with one filter.(coffee, coffee/cocoa pipe tobacco, java cigar) flushing the filter.with distilled water and alcohol between flavors.

It looks like I'll have extra filters., pm If you want some.

droach3

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2013
tx
Thanks to OP for this thread.
Decided to try an extraction and ended up with 10ml of some wonderful VERY strong truck-stop coffee in about 1hr when vaped at 100%.
Cut it to around 70% added 3% Marshmallow and 1% Chocolate and it is still VERY strong (Started with Dunkin Donuts Dark coffee. Going to cut it again and increase the Marshmallow and chocolate and maybe add a touch of butterscotch.

droach3

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2013
tx
OK played some more with my extraction. I am now at 27% and still feel I can cut it again. Up to 5% Marshmallow, 2% Chocolate and 3% Butterscotch. Nicotine is now at 3% and I feel no need to increase it. (I usually vape 10%). This coffee extraction stuff is awesome. I was not looking for a vape like smoking but that is what I have achieved.

SonHouse

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2013
Seminole
They work very well and they're actually 1.0 micron, not 1.2. It looks like they will last a while too. I filtered ~120 ml of extract that was already filtered with coffee filters and the 1.0 micron filter is still going strong with no noticeable increase in back pressure or clogging.

I filtered similar flavors with one filter.(coffee, coffee/cocoa pipe tobacco, java cigar) flushing the filter.with distilled water and alcohol between flavors.

It looks like I'll have extra filters., pm If you want some.
Those look like something I need! What size syringe are you using?

Ahhh, I was looking at the pic on my phone. Got it on my desktop and it's obvious how they work. Great find!

Last edited:

FinallyQuit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2011
SC
OK played some more with my extraction. I am now at 27% and still feel I can cut it again. Up to 5% Marshmallow, 2% Chocolate and 3% Butterscotch. Nicotine is now at 3% and I feel no need to increase it. (I usually vape 10%). This coffee extraction stuff is awesome. I was not looking for a vape like smoking but that is what I have achieved.

Awesome!! I tried mine up to 20 or 25% but I still find it vapes weak. Smells fantastic, but it's not doing it for me. The first extract I did was strong at 5%. I think I'll try your recipe add-ons, it sounds fabulous!

HSOTO

Jul 14, 2013
Edinburg, TX, USA
I definitely think the water has something to do with it. A less viscous liquid will more thoroughly extract flavor components. Alcohol extracts better than water. Water extracts better than PG. PG extracts better than VG.

More heat or time may be necessary to match your first results.

I have to agree with Face Meat, In chemistry we learned to extract caffiene with a water and then an alcohol which yielded more than the water. But, never tried propolyne glycol. If your going to heat it with water allow it to boil or get close to it, this way hydrogen bonds are broken within the compound and it will be released essentially easier to extract.

FinallyQuit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2011
SC
I was trying to avoid extracting with alcohol or pg. However, I have convinced myself that extracting with vg produced very little flavor for all that marvelous aroma and color. So, the next time I do this experiment will be with pg, then if I still hate it, I'll just have to scrap it. Can't do alcohol, hurts my mouth and throat. I'm trying to perfect a Wowza Coffee recipe and this stuff ain't cutting it. . .

SonHouse

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2013
Seminole
Awesome. Let us know how they work.
I'm finding they're an awesome tool. Really helped with the longevity of my coils. The e-liquid also seems much more resistant to scorching after filtering.There is still a propensity for the liquid to darken and thicken from increasing particulate concentration as you get down to the bottom of the tank.

I had the dregs of a tank of Halo Belgian Coccoa I ran through it this evening. Came out lighter and clearer then the juice direct from from the Halo bottle. I went back and filtered the entire mixture. Seems to have removed some of the sweet, sugary base. Seems like I'd enjoy a few hits more with the original flavor but this is closer to something I could vape at length.

I think enough of the technique that I have some 0.2 micron versions on the way for a bit of triple filtering action, coffee filters to 1 micron syringe filter to 0.2 micron syringe filters. I have 30 ml syringes so I can just dump the whole bottle in, clean out the original bottle and then filter it right back in.

Last edited:

SonHouse

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2013
Seminole
I was trying to avoid extracting with alcohol or pg. However, I have convinced myself that extracting with vg produced very little flavor for all that marvelous aroma and color. So, the next time I do this experiment will be with pg, then if I still hate it, I'll just have to scrap it. Can't do alcohol, hurts my mouth and throat. I'm trying to perfect a Wowza Coffee recipe and this stuff ain't cutting it. . .
I tried the VG extraction with a nice Columbian. Marvelous aroma that vaped like unflavored juice. Sigh...

SonHouse

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2013
Seminole
What about a cold extraction? Like the cold toddy method for coffee? Cuts out the acids, which could potentially make it taste better. Most coffee e liquids I've tried taste like the undiluted coffee flavoring compounds I use in professional baking, yuck.
That's actually a good idea, I think I'll be stealing it!

FACE MEAT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2013
Costa Mesa, CA
What about a cold extraction? Like the cold toddy method for coffee? Cuts out the acids, which could potentially make it taste better. Most coffee e liquids I've tried taste like the undiluted coffee flavoring compounds I use in professional baking, yuck.

I remember the first time I had Stumptown's cold brew. I had no idea coffee could taste like that.

Since PG is so much more viscous than water, I imagine the extraction would take a great while longer. If you try it, let us know how it works out.

EmeraldLeo1982

ECF Veteran
Aug 8, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma
Posted this is another thread about coffee extraction just a minute ago. Then I saw this and thought I'd share here too.

Nerdy idea from a Nerdy Chef:
Perhaps make a coffee reduction, and leave out the vinegar. Use some vodka or cognac. Anything you think would have a nice taste with the coffee. Brew a ridiculously strong coffee of your liking then set it on the stove to simmer, and simmer, and simmer..until it's stupidly reduced to about 5 or 10% of original. Make sure to run it through some filter paper to remove all the larger particulate matter. AND DONT use nonstick cookware as the chemicals contained within are toxic. Then you could just use it as a direct coffee extract flavoring.

"Can't do alcohol, hurts my mouth and throat. I'm trying to perfect a Wowza Coffee recipe and this stuff ain't cutting it. . ."

Also this method would eliminate all but the smallest amount of alcohol content.

Last edited:

FinallyQuit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2011
SC
Round 5 or is it 6? Two containers of identical coffee, Colombian Supremo. One covered in water, one covered in pg. Both nuked 10 seconds, now resting. When I try them side by side I'll try to detect any difference between the two. Right off the bat the one in the water smells MUCH better. I'm going to open a coffee bar, I've got coffee extract coming out my ears!!

eta: Fabulous! PG carries flavor WAY better than VG, will learn a very important lesson from this. Also using the water-extract to thin VG with and use in any coffee or tobacco mix that needs a boost. This was a good day in my house!

Last edited:

rks1949

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 28, 2013
Lawrenceville,Illinois
I just found this thread,and had to give the coffee a try! I used a 30 ml flavoring bottle and filled it half way with Foldgers Columbian Roast ground coffee (not coffee grounds). Filled it half way with pg,and nuked it for 10 seconds in the microwave. Added more pg to top off the bottle,and have it in my UC running at 175 degrees. It's been in there for 20 minutes and is very dark. It looks like it's gonna be real strong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread