Multimeter question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Broncbox

Verified Member
Feb 3, 2013
Tx
I also prefer an auto range multimeter plus remember you get what you pay for. At that price how accurate will it be? If the meter is off by a few percent this could become an issue for how well you get your coil built. Might be worth going by a pawn shop, i frequently see very good brands (Fluke is the one I see the most) for very reasonable prices.

Just my :2c: best of luck :)

Adina

Verified Member
May 10, 2013
USA
Thanks guys. I'm trying to find a decent one for under $20 preferably. I may go with this one: Amazon.com: Equus 3320 Auto-Ranging Digital Multimeter: Automotive with 205 5-star reviews it can't be too bad. That or one model older (not auto range) for $5 less. Which really it's only $5, may as well go with the newer one. :) Don't need anything too fancy since I don't rebuild attys. Pretty much just use vision clearos and similar things like that.

Last edited:

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
You don't need an expensive DMM for vaping purposes. Standard or auto ranging is fine. You just need to turn a rotary switch with the standard.

The only thing I'm picky about with low-cost DMMs is the batteries they use. The little MN21/23 12V batteries don't last that long. DMMs with the standard 9V transistor radio battery last a lot longer between battery changes.

onion456

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 30, 2013
Houston, TX
fluke is the industry standard. excellent meter, and youll pay for it =)

if you want a cheap meter, i dont know if you guys have heard of Harbor Freight, amazing source of cheap tools. you get what you pay for of course, but for a lot of things it doesnt matter (such as, a hammer... would you rather pay $30 or $3?). anyway they have meters for like $5, and they have sales all the time, sometimes you can even get them free. i got one just cause it was so damn cheap, it only lasted 6 months but i used the hell out of it, it was worth the money.

http://www.harborfreight.com

Sarje

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2012
Jeffreys Bay
If you're after something cheap, my advice would be not to get an autoranging meter. Takes too long hunting in resistance mode. When you're holding those probes on the tiny postive post on your delivery device, you want a reading quick! Leads are usually not the best on the cheap ones. Just touch the probes together and deduct from the reading of the device.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread