MTL RTAs vs. Pod System

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bulbul

Nov 21, 2017
I'm using pod system devices for almost 3 years ago. The performance and flavor are up and down. In addition, I rebuild/rewick some of them such as Myjet and Minifit. Have/had many of them juul, myjet, pea, minifit, c601, vladdin , Orion dna, and others.

I decided to try MTL RTAs after reading and hearing about how they are better in regards to flavour comparing to pods.

After searching, reading, and watching many YouTube reviews, I got Ehpro True MTL RTA, which is a nice very good quality atomizer, but:

1- Even the smallest air slot 1mm is not that restrictive comparing to Myjet for example.

2- I tried different builds Kanthal A1, SS, Ni80, and even the one that came with the atomizer. Yes… the SS316L with Temp Control is the best, but still I didn’t find that rich unique flavor most reviewers and people are talking about. I tried same e-juices I use with my pod devices. 50vg/50pt, 70vg/30pg, 12-18mg freebase, and 50mg NS. I tried different ohms and coil heights, okay I managed to get something close to the flavor I have with the pod system, but where is that rich flavor with hidden notes every MTL lover is talking about?

I don’t mean to disparage using MTL RTAs, but I was really looking forward to trying something new and I was sorely disappointed. Am I using it wrong or was the experience too hyped up and exaggerated and this is all I’m going to get?

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Some of it may be a simple matter of what you are used to: it might take a bit of time.

You might want to get a berserker, honestly as far as I know it's the most restricted RTA out there. I can't vape mine much because the pull I need tends to detach my dentures. LOL.

With that said, I haven't tried pods much so I can't really offer a comparison for you. I don't consider the True's smallest airhole THAT restricted but I bet some kind soul can come along and give you actual airhole measurements, if you want to be sure.

I have gotten airier with my RTAs and am liking it, but the same probably can't be said for everyone.

tdman77

ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2019
New Orleans
There are alot of MTL RTAs on the market. I have only found a few that suites me for my style of MTL vaping. For me I have found the Kayfun Prime and '19 Lite RTAs suites me well. I have a large number of MTL RTAs but only a couple of them are used regularly. The Berserker V1.5 is a restrictive MTL tank that might suite you better than the EHpro. There are also clones of higher end RTAs on the market that perform just as good as the real thing. I have a KF Prime and a clone and can not tell the difference in performance between the two. My coil builds for MTL is 6-8 wrap, 2.5mm, spaced, at around .8-1.0 ohm running around 13-18 watts.

Temp Control vaping is a whole another ball game. I suggest you stick with Kanthal or Ni80 coils until you find a RTA that suites you before you venture into TC vaping. It wasn't until I got DNA and SX chip mods that I was able to master TC. I found out that my lower end mods were marginal at TC without a lot of tinkering around with TCR, temp, and wattage settings.

smoked25years

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2018
You've tried 1 so far. You might like another one better. Preferences and opinions vary a lot.

I started with pods and now I mostly use a Kayfun Prime clone. I've tried half dozen or so RTAs and always go back to the Prime. I have not vaped anything better than the Prime on a Lost Vape Mirage with DNA 75C temp control.

I like the small size of some pods. But I started using RTAs because I like being able to clean and replace cotton and coils. It would cost less than $12 for me to use a new coil and cotton every day for a year. I don't rebuild every day but I easily could with insignificant cost. Flavor is much better with a fresh build rather than trying to use the nasty coil or pod for as long as possible.

If you want a super tight MTL vape, I'd recommend the 16mm Dvarw. It has a very narrow chimney and it comes with a selection of different airflow inserts. Iirc think the smallest is 0.8 mm. I have a clone of both the 16mm and 22mm Dvarw. Very good atomizers. They're my second favorites. My favorite is the Prime.

Last edited:

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
Roquebrune sur Argens, Var, France
I don't like RTA's myself so can't comment but in terms of RDA's which you have to either drip or squonk with the geekvape Ammit rda is a fantastic mtl vape and the flavour is utterly superb. IMO opinion the best flavour a vaper can get comes from an RDA not an RTA so maybe consider the ammit and a new squonk mod which will act as your tank.

Here's a video going into details...

Reactions: stols001

Bulbul

Nov 21, 2017
I don't like RTA's myself so can't comment but in terms of RDA's which you have to either drip or squonk with the geekvape Ammit rda is a fantastic mtl vape and the flavour is utterly superb. IMO opinion the best flavour a vaper can get comes from an RDA not an RTA so maybe consider the ammit and a new squonk mod which will act as your tank.

Here's a video going into details...

I believe it's a matter of chamber size, airflow, and coil area more than RDA/RTA. Most latest MTL RTAs are similar to RDA in chamber design. I found that the 2ml tank isn't enough for my use, so I won't be comfortable with dripping or squonking.

Bulbul

Nov 21, 2017
Some of it may be a simple matter of what you are used to: it might take a bit of time.

You might want to get a berserker, honestly as far as I know it's the most restricted RTA out there. I can't vape mine much because the pull I need tends to detach my dentures. LOL.

With that said, I haven't tried pods much so I can't really offer a comparison for you. I don't consider the True's smallest airhole THAT restricted but I bet some kind soul can come along and give you actual airhole measurements, if you want to be sure.

I have gotten airier with my RTAs and am liking it, but the same probably can't be said for everyone.

Thank you for your reply. What about the good quality clone RTAs, which one has the most restricted with a good flavour?

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
Roquebrune sur Argens, Var, France
I believe it's a matter of chamber size, airflow, and coil area more than RDA/RTA. Most latest MTL RTAs are similar to RDA in chamber design. I found that the 2ml tank isn't enough for my use, so I won't be comfortable with dripping or squonking.

Geekvape do the Ammit in an RTA format as well so check that out...I have no experience though but there is a thread here...

Ammit MTL RTA

Good luck :)

Bulbul

Nov 21, 2017
There are alot of MTL RTAs on the market. I have only found a few that suites me for my style of MTL vaping. For me I have found the Kayfun Prime and '19 Lite RTAs suites me well. I have a large number of MTL RTAs but only a couple of them are used regularly. The Berserker V1.5 is a restrictive MTL tank that might suite you better than the EHpro. There are also clones of higher end RTAs on the market that perform just as good as the real thing. I have a KF Prime and a clone and can not tell the difference in performance between the two. My coil builds for MTL is 6-8 wrap, 2.5mm, spaced, at around .8-1.0 ohm running around 13-18 watts.

Temp Control vaping is a whole another ball game. I suggest you stick with Kanthal or Ni80 coils until you find a RTA that suites you before you venture into TC vaping. It wasn't until I got DNA and SX chip mods that I was able to master TC. I found out that my lower end mods were marginal at TC without a lot of tinkering around with TCR, temp, and wattage settings.

Thank you for your reply, I really appreciate all details you mentioned. What type of ejuices and nicotine strengths do you usually use with the build you mentioned?

I remember that "vaping with vic" said that the Berserker mini is slightly better than the 1.5 version flavour wise. Do you have both of them to compare?

If you will suggest one of the high end RTAs clone, which one will you choose?

Ben Killeen

ECF Veteran
Dec 28, 2018
Finland (British)
Thank you for your reply, I really appreciate all details you mentioned. What type of ejuices and nicotine strengths do you usually use with the build you mentioned?

I remember that "vaping with vic" said that the Berserker mini is slightly better than the 1.5 version flavour wise. Do you have both of them to compare?

If you will suggest one of the high end RTAs clone, which one will you choose?
I have the mini and love how tight it is, I currently vape on the second smallest hole and lovely flavour with a 1.15ohm ss316 26 gauge build at 17-18w, 3mg nic

Bulbul

Nov 21, 2017
I have the mini and love how tight it is, I currently vape on the second smallest hole and lovely flavour with a 1.15ohm ss316 26 gauge build at 17-18w, 3mg nic

Which high end clone do you suggest? Kayfun prime, lite 2019, or something else? And from sxk or other clone factory?

By the way I'm vaping freebase 18-24mg or nicotine salt 50mg.

Ben Killeen

ECF Veteran
Dec 28, 2018
Finland (British)
Which high end clone do you suggest? Kayfun prime, lite 2019, or something else? And from sxk or other clone factory?

By the way I'm vaping freebase 18-24mg or nicotine salt 50mg.
I would recommend the Vandy Vape berserker mini, official or the geekvape Ammit mtl
I don’t use clones

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
@Bulbul - Regarding the statement by @stols001 below -

You might want to get a berserker, honestly as far as I know it's the most restricted RTA out there.

Both versions of the original, authentic Berserker MTL RTA (the Mini and the full size 24mm one) have 5 air flow hole size choices. The smallest of them is 0.8mm, which IMO is (pardon the expression)..."tighter than a gnat's ....". I prefer to use the middle of the 5 hole sizes on both, and I get a nice draw on it.

The 24mm original Berserker comes with a 2mL Ultem tank and a 4mL glass tank (in case 2mL is too small for you). The Mini comes with 3 different 2mL tank options: steel, glass, and Ultem. Since the Berserkers are my all-time favorite MTL RTAs...a large quantity of them have been added to my "vaping stash" for the longhaul. To me, their vapor is extremely smooth and very flavorful, and the build deck is super easy.

ETA: If I were you, I'd get an authentic original Berserker in the full size, especially since you want a tank option of larger than 2mL capacity. Some people on ECF have gotten the clones and been happy with them, but just as many have tried the clones and found them not to their liking for various reasons. Some of those same people have then tried an authentic 1...and loved it.

Last edited:

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
Geekvape do the Ammit in an RTA format as well so check that out...I have no experience though but there is a thread here...

Ammit MTL RTA

Good luck :)
I have it and like it a lot. The AF can be tightened down to pretty restricted, almost Berserker right, right on par with the Flint kit tank. Very nice all around. I like that it opens up a lot, as well, so I can adjust to suit my needs. I mostly dl so I’m surprised to like it as well as I do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread