Moving up from Vision Spinner to VV VW APV. NEED HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have my eye's on the Vamo (v3 or V5), doesnt really matter as long as it has RMS. But Also considering any others, like the zmax SVD or SID. What are some Pros/cons. I have done a ton of research but it is a little overwhelming. I want vv and vw obviously. and I would like to still use my evods and mini protanks. but I want to get into the gennies and possibly sub ohm stuff. The cuttoffs on these electronic devices is 1.2 to 1.5 ohms on some, and 4 to 5 amps. NOW, I am not trying to do anything for guiness here as far as vapor but I want to mess around and have some options. Will I be able to do this with a 1.5 ohm cutoff? Another thing is reliability and versatility. I love my vision spinner but lately the battery life has sucked. I think this started when I began rebuilding my own coils and vaped some around 1 ohm or so for a while. I have a cen tech multimeter which is probably as reliable as the Senate. So the purportedly accurate ohm readings on these apvs is a huge plus for me also. considering a special one for attys costs about 20 bucks and some apvs cost just twice that. SO: I am looking for Ohm reader, replaceable battery options, reliablility, rms would be nice but not a deal maker, and versatility. Also, would my vapor and flavor be better with either of these? My MAIN goal is flavor,then vapor, both with consistency, and battery life. Sorry for the rant. Cheaper is better but I will pay a peso or two more for something that I wont want to remodel with a sledge hammer. ANY input will be very much appreciated. Also, for my "standard" non sub negative zero kelvin ohm usage, high drain or low drain? and can vamo support something like a 34oomha panasonic like this? Amazon.com : Panasonic NCR18650B Super Max 3.7V 3400mAh Rechargeable Li-ion Battery-Green : General Use Batteries : Electronics and does a cheapo charger REALLY make that much of a difference from a NASA Spaceage Charger? I've spent lots of hours reading about all this stuff but am too simple minded to put it all together. I'll give you a heartfelt thank you and honestly will appreciate input and experiences. Thank you for welcoming me into this wonderful forum. It HAS helped me quit my addiction to smoking and made vaping a hobby, a passion, an .. dare i say, addiction of mine. I just wish I wasnt so poor so that It wouldnt take me so long to make up my mind where to invest in my next upgrade. Ok. I've bored you enough. Bore me back, i'll love it. :)

BlackChad

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 4, 2011
Back In Mesa
As far as a PV a vamo is great. It'll do everything you're asking and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg. The cutoff is annoying if you're going to get into gennies but you can get a mech for that.

What I really want to say is please do not pinch pennies on chargers or batteries. If you pinch pennies on anything else, you're fine, but a charger and batteries need to be high quality and reliable. It is of the utmost importance. Get a nice charger and you'll never get another one. My intellicharger is going for over a year no issues whatsoever and I love it. Well worth not saving maybe 5 or 10 dollars

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
I have my eye's on the Vamo (v3 or V5), doesnt really matter as long as it has RMS. But Also considering any others, like the zmax SVD or SID. What are some Pros/cons.

Really depends on what you're looking for. I know that's kind of a crappy answer, but there are literally thousands of posts on the forums discussing these.

I have a Vamo V3, a Smok Zmax, an MVP2, and an SVD on the way. Out of those, and those only, with standard atomizers and coils, I'd give the edge to the MVP2 because of battery life.

That being said, the nice thing about the other devices is that if the battery no longer holds a charge, I spend a few more dollars on new batteries. Can't do that with the MVP2.

Also, on my Vamo, the threads wore completely out after about two months. It cost me about $6 for a replacement top cap and about 30 minutes of my time. It's not a big deal for me, but might be for someone else.

I have done a ton of research but it is a little overwhelming. I want vv and vw obviously. and I would like to still use my evods and mini protanks. but I want to get into the gennies and possibly sub ohm stuff. The cuttoffs on these electronic devices is 1.2 to 1.5 ohms on some, and 4 to 5 amps. NOW, I am not trying to do anything for guiness here as far as vapor but I want to mess around and have some options. Will I be able to do this with a 1.5 ohm cutoff?

Sort of. There's so many different coil configurations to experiment with, it's hard to say what you will find pleasing. Now, with microcoils that many are using, staying above 1.5 ohms isn't an issue, and they CAN produce very good vapor and flavor. YouTube has a ton of videos about microcoils (and most lately nano coils) showing the how-to's.

Low and sub-ohm isn't 100% required to make you a happy vaper.

Another thing is reliability and versatility. I love my vision spinner but lately the battery life has sucked. I think this started when I began rebuilding my own coils and vaped some around 1 ohm or so for a while. I have a cen tech multimeter which is probably as reliable as the Senate. So the purportedly accurate ohm readings on these apvs is a huge plus for me also. considering a special one for attys costs about 20 bucks and some apvs cost just twice that. SO: I am looking for Ohm reader, replaceable battery options, reliablility, rms would be nice but not a deal maker, and versatility. Also, would my vapor and flavor be better with either of these? My MAIN goal is flavor,then vapor, both with consistency, and battery life.

I'd suggest one of the tube mods you mentioned. If by "battery life" you mean how long you go between charges, I use double-stacked 18350's pretty exclusively in my tube mods, and get a full day of vaping out of them - but I am NOT a heavy vaper. It all depends on how often you hit the button and how long you hold it for.

Sorry for the rant. Cheaper is better but I will pay a peso or two more for something that I wont want to remodel with a sledge hammer. ANY input will be very much appreciated.

If you shop around you can pick up the mods discussed, plus batteries and a good charger for under $120. Less if you buy from Fasttech, but you need to be willing to wait a month for your package to arrive. And I wouldn't buy batteries OR a charger there, I'd stick to a reputable stateside vendor. RTD Vapor and Orbitron top my list.

Also, for my "standard" non sub negative zero kelvin ohm usage, high drain or low drain?

You NEED to get high-drain, unprotected batteries for those regulated mods.

Yes, but I don't know anything about that vendor, but I'll say that I like using Amazon because it makes returns hassle-free. Orbtronic DOES have a presence on Amazon, not sure about RTD vapor.

and does a cheapo charger REALLY make that much of a difference from a NASA Spaceage Charger? I've spent lots of hours reading about all this stuff but am too simple minded to put it all together.

In the short term, maybe not. In the long term, yes. The batteries you put in your mods are every bit as important as the mod and the atomizer - and possibly more important because of the energy contained in those batteries. Taking good care of them is in your best interest.

Also, I'm not going to say cheap chargers are bad, but with a quality charger, you will probably find your batteries lasting longer and holding a charge better.

It may not be as dramatic as this example, but look at it this way: Do you want to have to buy new batteries every 9 months, or every two years?

SirSteve

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 10, 2012
Northern Indiana
K_Tech has some good advice. As for devices, I recommend the Sigelie Zmax, it has a better reputation than the Smoktech verison, and it is a pretty decent build quality for the price. I have two Sig Zmaxes and a Vamo, the Sigs are definetly a step up from the Vamo.

The MVP2 is pretty good, however once the battery no longer holds a charger, the device is done. On the bright side, the MVP2 battery should last quite a while. Most of the batteries we use are rated for between 300 to 500 cycles, I believe 500 is optimistic. Even at 300 cycles, with its larger battery the MVP2 should last over year before the battery stops taking a charge, depending on your use, it may approach two years before the battery is useless.

While you are on Amazon, check out the Nitecore chargers, make sure it is NOT a V1 though. Xtar is a good choice also. RTD carries some pretty good chargers, might give them a look.

Last edited:

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
Deciding which one is right for you, read through the operating instructions for each. Do you want a "one button" and click to get a menu or multiple buttons to be able to adjust quickly (because - more often..:)) Is the fire button somewhere it looks comfortable for you? Guess the last factor would be is it shiny enough....:laugh:

Regarding batteries you want a HIGH DRAIN variety (Panasonic NCR18650PF)
, and as had been said, better quality lasts longer, is safer, but usually costs a couple bucks more. The cost needs to be figured over the life of the battery, $2-$3 bucks over a year to 18 months, in perspective you might spend that for a clearo or coil head that may last a few days / a week...:)

Last edited:

SirSteve

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 10, 2012
Northern Indiana
Deciding which one is right for you, read through the operating instructions for each. Do you want a "one button" and click to get a menu or multiple buttons to be able to adjust quickly (because - more often..:)) Is the fire button somewhere it looks comfortable for you? Guess the last factor would be is it shiny enough....:laugh:

Regarding batteries you want a HIGH DRAIN variety (Panasonic NCR18650PF)
, and as had been said, better quality lasts longer, is safer, but usually costs a couple bucks more. The cost needs to be figured over the life of the battery, $2-$3 bucks over a year to 18 months, in perspective you might spend that for a clearo or coil head that may last a few days / a week...:)

Ah yes the one button fear factor. Weird person that I am, I like the one button thing, less chance to accidentally change something. I admit it takes a little while to get used to if you are coming from something with many buttons. At home I use my Pthingy and Zmaxes in rotation, all three are one button. And believe me I'm no rocket scientist. The Vamo and other multiple button devices normally sit on the sidelines and watch, although sometimes out of pity they join the party also.

Last edited:

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
Ah yes the one button fear factor. Weird person that I am, I like the one button thing, less chance to accidentally change something. I admit it takes a little while to get used to if you are coming from something with many buttons. At home I use my Pthingy and Zmaxes in rotation, all three are one button. And believe me I'm no rocket scientist. The Vamo and other multiple button devices normally sit on the sidelines and watch, although sometimes out of pity they join the party also.

Not fear, just the realization that you are "eye - hand coordination challenged" (I have enough trouble with the 5-click on/off..:blush:) Guess that's why there are clearo users, carto users and drippers...side button and bottom button pushers, we each have our own likes and dislikes....:laugh::laugh:

All the possible combinations these days seem to make it tougher for a new vaper to make a decision on any number of items....:)

CrackerTeg

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 17, 2014
Groton, Connecticut, USofA
As this topic is relevant to questions floating around in my mind, I too am looking at switching up from my vision spinners. I've gone through multiple tanks and I'm still toying with that (although I may have it narrowed down) but in the three months since I started vaping, my spinners just don't last as long between charges as they did when new. At $20+ a piece, it adds up quickly. I'm on the fence with a few different vv/ vw mods. I've been looking at the iTaste SVD, smoktech sid, any version of the vamo (stainless preferred due to longevity) to pair with my Davide BCC which is soon to be converted to BDC. Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Also, why start a new topic over the same damn thing? Sorry for the slightly long winded introductory post.

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
SVD and an RSST tank Vamos (all of them) die terrible deaths when dropped. I have 2 Dead Vamo3's (which died from a drop of 3 feet) well technically one is still alive but the display doesnt work, the other one died totally and got morphed into a mech. Cost wise, the vamo and SVD are equal... and why an RSST? coil/wick combinations are nearly unlimited, you can use it as a tank system, as a dripper, as a VV/VW topper, as a Mech topper, you can use all sorts of wicking, ceramic, stainless steel, silica, cotton, natural sea sponge ( just kidding)....

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
As this topic is relevant to questions floating around in my mind, I too am looking at switching up from my vision spinners. I've gone through multiple tanks and I'm still toying with that (although I may have it narrowed down) but in the three months since I started vaping, my spinners just don't last as long between charges as they did when new. At $20+ a piece, it adds up quickly. I'm on the fence with a few different vv/ vw mods. I've been looking at the iTaste SVD, smoktech sid, any version of the vamo (stainless preferred due to longevity) to pair with my Davide BCC which is soon to be converted to BDC. Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Also, why start a new topic over the same damn thing? Sorry for the slightly long winded introductory post.
I've had my Vamo3 for a few months, and my SVD for about three weeks.

Initial impression is that the SVD is the better device for me.

Functionally it performs the same - same output, same voltage and power settings, although the menu navigation is a little different.

The SVD feels a lot more solid, is a little heavier than my SS Vamo, and the 510 threading is better than the threads I had in my Vamo (The threads on my Vamo lasted about two months before stripping out completely, I bought a replacement head and all is well now).

I bought both of them from FastTech, and the SVD costs a little more than the Vamo (About $5 more). It's worth it, to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread