Status
Not open for further replies.

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville
Hi all, been a while since I hung around the DIY sub forum. I was always more of a lurker searcher doin' my homework and learning from all a' y'all, and thought I would share a few thoughts on how I plan to handle a household move and my nic stash.

I have a dedicated freezer for my nic, although it does occasionally get foodstuffs placed up top because it's not chucker block full, even though I have about a twenty year supply. We have sold our house and will be living in a temporary short term lease, till we can close on the final destination home. There will be about a month interim in temporary housing till the final move.

My thoughts on handling my nic are to unplug the freezer two days before moving, and let the temp slowly rise for about 24 hours. At that point I am going to transfer my nic to some coolers with locking lids, and place newspaper on top and then add dry ice to the coolers to capacity. I believe that the dry ice should keep the nic plenty cold throughout the entire moving process with plenty of cushion time for any contingencies. Then I'll just fire up the freezer again, it should be nicely de-frosted at that time, and settle the nic in for another months nap. Then rinse repeat for the next move.

Just thought I would share because I don't ever recall reading a thread about moving and your nic stash before. Any thoughts?

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
Sounds like a good plan - though I'd be careful to insulate the dry ice so it can't touch any glass bottles of nic!!

Also - nic is not food, and actually won't be particularly damaged if it comes up to room temp and then gets re-chilled, even a few times. If the bottles are sealed tight, then you can't get extra moisture condensing...or extra oxygen to degrade it, etc. I'd probably do something like you're doing - just to ensure it doesn't get HOT...

Good luck with the move(s) and new house!!

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Sounds like a good plan - though I'd be careful to insulate the dry ice so it can't touch any glass bottles of nic!!

Also - nic is not food, and actually won't be particularly damaged if it comes up to room temp and then gets re-chilled, even a few times. If the bottles are sealed tight, then you can't get extra moisture condensing...or extra oxygen to degrade it, etc. I'd probably do something like you're doing - just to ensure it doesn't get HOT...

Good luck with the move(s) and new house!!
The newspaper was intended to eliminate any contact with the bottle tops, nic is all double bagged and some is even in boxes double bagged. The dry ice is probably overkill, but I consider my stash an irreplaceable resource. The coolers will offer ample protection from any bumps or shocks encountered during the move. I'm so .... I won't allow anyone but myself to handle it...

PS thanks for the well wishes :)

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Make sure you don't pack dry ice in an air tight cooler.... it will blow the lid open from the expanding gas.:)

And be wary about carrying it in an unvented vehicle, too.
I might just skip the dry ice. It shouldn't have any effect if it warms up and gets cooled back down.

Jdurand

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2014
Long Island, NY
I think you would be fine throwing the whole thing in the back of a pick up truck, driving it across a desert and then over the grand Teton mountains during winter. My god man, you are only talking about 1 month in a non-frozen environment. If that's all it took to spoil nic then none of us would ever get acceptable nicotine in the mail before it spoiled.

Sorry bud, but this whole thing, IMHO, is way overkill.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Nic kept cool (not exposed to heat) should be fine for a month. It has 2 or 3 years at room temperature without negative consequences other than aging, which results in yellowing and increased nic bite (nic bite's not necessarily a bad thing).

My two liters of nic have been at room temp for several months and the one I'm using out of is still water clear and tasty. I plan to freeze it soon, but I tend to procrastinate. :)

Stick it in an ice chest for the trip to ease your worry factor if you are concerned about it's long term usability.

Last edited:

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
I think you would be fine throwing the whole thing in the back of a pick up truck, driving it across a desert and then over the grand Teton mountains during winter. My god man, you are only talking about 1 month in a non-frozen environment. If that's all it took to spoil nic then none of us would ever get acceptable nicotine in the mail before it spoiled.

Sorry bud, but this whole thing, IMHO, is way overkill.
LOL, thanks :) I got a much needed chuckle out of this.

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Nic kept cool (not exposed to heat) should be fine for a month. It has 2 or 3 years at room temperature without negative consequences other than aging, which results in yellowing and increased nic bite (nic bite's not necessarily a bad thing).

My two liters of nic have been at room temp for several months and the one I'm using out of is still water clear and tasty. I plan to freeze it soon, but I tend to procrastinate. :)

Stick it in an ice chest for the trip to ease your worry factor if you are concerned about it's long term usability.

I did just as you suggested, Packed it all tightly into a couple square water coolers and let it slowly come up to garage temp, which is pretty cool this time of year. After moving in I just stocked it all into the freezer part of the fridge. I'll set up the chest freezer when we get into our new house in a few weeks to a month. Easy peasy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread