modding the magneto......(solid non teloscoping body hybrid!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rogergendron1

ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
woburn ma
well i had the smok natural and it was a great mod for its price, any way it got stolen in 18650 mode so i went and bought the magneto.

i was looking at the magneto and thought to myself ... hhhhhmmmm this looks like the same threading ... so i went into my vape box and grabbed the natural 18500 tube extention and it threaded right in.... cool the natural tubes fit the magneto body !!! good to know ...

as i was looking at it i saw the battery compartment was the exact size of an 18650 battery, so i tossed one in ther to see how it fit and just as i thought the battery came right up flush to the top of the new tube !

now all i need is to order a natural top cap and i will have a solid body magneto !

or i can order the natural 1 hybrid kit and make a solid body hybrid out of it as the natural 1 kit is designed to fit the threading on the natural tube body !!!

does anyone know where i can order the natural top cap ? i need just the top cap !

or if the natural 1 hybrid kit is still around and where to get it ?

here are the pics so you can see what it looks like, i think the magneto with a solid body is a awesome looking mod ! and i bet with the hybrid kit it would have almost no voltage drop with a good battery !

IMG_20140113_232521.jpg
IMG_20140113_232538.jpg
IMG_20140113_232601.jpg
IMG_20140113_232637.jpg

i have to say it threads on there buttery smooth and there is sutch a small line where it meets together that you can not even see it unless you are looking at it from 3 inches away !!!!!

i have a feeling once i get ahold of a natural top cap or the natural 1 hybrid kit that this will be my favorite mod of all time !!!

rogergendron1

ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
woburn ma
i may order the top cap and the hybrid kit bolth, so just in case i want to use the mod with a 510 non rebuildable atty like a protank or something i can have the option tto do so.

any way what do you think ? how does the magneto look with a solid body ?........... sexy huh !

now i thought the natural top cap has the positive 510 screw sicking into the mod further than the magneto if i am correct, and the battery sits just flush with the tube, so i had a small worry that the top cap would not thread all the way down to the tube body...... then i remembered that the botton negitive post has about 1/4in of spring to it and it can be made to have even more by adjusting the through of the magnetic switch by unscrewing the plasic spacer that houses the negitive post down torwd the button.

so i am fully confident that this will work and make me a sweet 18650 hybrid/flat-top 510 mod !

rogergendron1

ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
woburn ma
it just ocured to me that i can use the magneto top cap if i cut a section of threading off the magneto teloscoping body section, then thread it in half way and then thread the magneto cap on the reast of the way,

this will work, however ... i do not want to ruin my teloscoping tube body ! that and the magneto cap is raised up thus making the battery compartment 1/8th in too tall for the 18650 battey to contact ! this can be easily fixed with a small magnet if one wishes to do so though.

so i guess if you do not mind cutting a threaded section off your teloscoping tube, all you need to make the magneto a solid body mod would be #1 a natural 18500 tube body #2 a dremal #3 the cut section of threading from your magneto's teloscoping tube body #4 a 1/8th in thick magnet.

just use the threaded section on top as an adapter to allow you to thread on your top cap, remember ... you will need to put a magnet on the bottom of your battery to make up the space differance in the magneto top cap, the natural top cap will fit without a magnet or an adapter.

propofokgov

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2014
Oklahoma City, OK
www.about.me
I like the solid stainless extension! I know I wasn't a fan of the way the extension collar had a step-down to it, so I used a product called Sugru (one of my favorite products ever!) to fill in that area with a black silicone rubber. This was after my friend and I had been discussing what to do with that space. My next idea I'm currently attempting to execute is to mill out an Oak sleeve to fit over the collar. Let's cross our fingers that it works.
2014-01-14 10.00.39.jpg
2014-01-14 10.01.09.jpg
2014-01-14 10.02.11.jpg
2014-01-14 10.10.52.jpg

rogergendron1

ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
woburn ma
I like the solid stainless extension! I know I wasn't a fan of the way the extension collar had a step-down to it, so I used a product called Sugru (one of my favorite products ever!) to fill in that area with a black silicone rubber. This was after my friend and I had been discussing what to do with that space. My next idea I'm currently attempting to execute is to mill out an Oak sleeve to fit over the collar. Let's cross our fingers that it works.

i like that ! its a rubber colar right ?

i think a sweet oak shirt would give any mod a more at home custome made vap sir feel lol

i will look into turning out a sleeve for the magneto tube made of oak or maple or iron wood... somthing special that would be for shure, an iron wood sleeve for the magneto !

edit........ i just looked this sugru up and i like that i can get it in colors ! but can it be sanded smooth and shaped after it dries ?

Last edited:

rogergendron1

ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
woburn ma
lol i was staring at the lathe and i wondered ..... how many people would want a custom brass tank for there UVO aqua ? probably a lot LOL but srsly i think if i am goin to go through the trouble of turning somthing down i may as well just make some ss or brass tubes for differant battery sizes for the magneto, and make them have the proper threading on top for the magneto cap to fit....then you would not have to go through the trouble of finding a ntural top cap or moddding your teloscopeing tube body to be unuseable for anything besides an adapter and they would be properly sized to so no need for a short magnet on your battery !

then one could just buy the solid tube conversion, (cheap like 10$) and thread it on the base and install the battery and top cap and have a solid body magneto !

i could make one for 18350 one for 18500 one for 18650 and one for a kicked 18650,
they would be brass or ss and threaded to fit the magneto body and threaded on top to fit the magneto cap.

after installing the tube ether brass or ss your mod would look like this

View attachment 295116

Last edited:

rogergendron1

ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
woburn ma
ok guys i am done !!! its a go this works flawlessly !!!

here are some pics of what i did and i have 2 step by step how to videos uploading now !!!

this mod alows you to make the magneto a solid body and still maintain the teloscoping tube so it can be swapped back at any time !!!

all you need is a magneto DUH...
a naturals 18500 tube body 15$
and a 4mm hardware store screw 2x langer than the original

all the parts

IMG_20140114_234814.jpg

cut center tube only one side

IMG_20140115_001308.jpg

cut positive post screw to size, should be about lvl with the edge of the top cap for a button top aw battery

IMG_20140115_001317.jpg

video of step by step instructions coming up in a few miniuts

rogergendron1

ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
woburn ma
ok some more picks of it done and one of it converted back, conversion from solid 18650 to smaller batterys is easy just unthread the top cap and remove the tube then change out the positive pin to the stock one and screw cap back onto the teloscoping tube body !

IMG_20140115_005257.jpg

IMG_20140115_005315.jpg

IMG_20140115_005613.jpg

guys the how to videos are almost uploaded for those who wish to know how to do this mod step by step and the parts needed.

rogergendron1

ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
woburn ma
here it is the final how to video for those that wish to do this.

part 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekI5rAerQNs

part 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLwq5bo3f4I

should explian everything ... sorry about the quality lol its a cheap pay as you go phone and i dont have a stand for it at the moment.

does any one else hate the sound of there own voice ? lol i can not stand to hear my self on camera ! i sound like i am half my age ! probaby why all the young girls come after me lol

propofokgov

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2014
Oklahoma City, OK
www.about.me
i like that ! its a rubber colar right ?...

...edit........ i just looked this sugru up and i like that i can get it in colors ! but can it be sanded smooth and shaped after it dries ?

There are several different ways you can shape it either before or after it dries, but I defiantly would NOT recommend sanding it :)

On this application I calculated the volume needed to fill the space properly and attempted to use just that same amount of Sugru. After I applied it to the collar (fully assembled) I rolled the whole thing on a sheet of glass with a bit of soapy water on it. Sadly to say I used to much and it the end result was a bit pudgy, even after trying to smooth it down with soapy water on my finger. So after it dried I took a razor blade the just cut it smooth using the head and body as depth guides; same thing for the button on the bottom.

Rolling the Sugru on the glass and smoothing it with my finger gave it a bit of a glossy look, and after I cut it down with the razor blade I got more of a rough rubbery look which I think I like better in the end. This was because when it dries it has what I can only describe as a skin over it. If you do cut it down, just be aware that you might want to make sure to cut the whole surface and not just part of it.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

...i think a sweet oak shirt would give any mod a more at home custome made vap sir feel lol

i will look into turning out a sleeve for the magneto tube made of oak or maple or iron wood... somthing special that would be for shure, an iron wood sleeve for the magneto !...

I figure the hardest part would be the hole in the center. The sleeve (shirt) would need an ID of 19.4mm (approx. .75in) and an OD of 28.2mm (approx 1.125in). I picked up a 1.125in Oak dowel to play with and see what I could do with it. I've got a make shift drill press I was just gonna use a .75" Forstner bit to try and punch the hole, then hand sand it down from there if needed.

That being said, to mill one out would probably look WAY better than what I have planned.

Last edited:

rogergendron1

ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
woburn ma
you do not need a miller to use a milling bit ! it can be use in a drill press with linmmited capabilities, say you want to drill a hole with a perfectly flat bottom, then a flat bottom milling bit will work just fine ! also if your press is sturdy you can set it say 1/4 in ito the wood and move the vise by hand on a slide and use your dril press as a hand fed milling machine !!!!

i think your idea with the forsner bit is best though and you could chuck it into the drill press via something stuck inside the ID hole and use a file to rough sand it down wile it spins in the drill press this will give you an even form cause the file is flat and wide making the removal of an even amount of material easy !

then after file down you can take some fine sand paper and smooth it out and shape to you content !

rogergendron1

ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
woburn ma
this mod does look fantastic polished but .... the brushed groves that come in the stock magneto and natural are cut quite deep in the mod and it required a lot of work to get the brushed look out of it.

i used a fine grain 220 grit polishing wheel, not a sanding wheel ! to get the grooves out... this is one of those rubber drema wheels with the grit built into it for polishing

then i used 600 grit quality sand paper and spun each part seperatly in a drill wile holding the 600 grit paper to it and that gave it a nice shine

then back to the dremal with a 1 in cloth polishing wheel and red polish compound and circled the mod with it at high speed around the #3 setting

then a plain cloth wheel to remove the acsess red polish

finnaly a nice computer cleaning cloth to wipe it off

my mod is polished prety good now and that brushed look is gone, i like this look a lot better ! the only gripe i have is that its a finger print magnet now lol

i am going to begin working on a brass 18650 tube for it and polish that up too ! then i need to find a 22mm brass rda and the mod will be complete !!!

Been a while since your post. Hoping you'll still see this.
How much has the Sugru stood up to every day use? I really want to do this to my Magneto and I'm wondering if it's easily cut by things like fingernails and such.

iamthevoice

ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2014
Ottawa, Canada
There are several different ways you can shape it either before or after it dries, but I defiantly would NOT recommend sanding it :)

On this application I calculated the volume needed to fill the space properly and attempted to use just that same amount of Sugru. After I applied it to the collar (fully assembled) I rolled the whole thing on a sheet of glass with a bit of soapy water on it. Sadly to say I used to much and it the end result was a bit pudgy, even after trying to smooth it down with soapy water on my finger. So after it dried I took a razor blade the just cut it smooth using the head and body as depth guides; same thing for the button on the bottom.

Rolling the Sugru on the glass and smoothing it with my finger gave it a bit of a glossy look, and after I cut it down with the razor blade I got more of a rough rubbery look which I think I like better in the end. This was because when it dries it has what I can only describe as a skin over it. If you do cut it down, just be aware that you might want to make sure to cut the whole surface and not just part of it.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

I figure the hardest part would be the hole in the center. The sleeve (shirt) would need an ID of 19.4mm (approx. .75in) and an OD of 28.2mm (approx 1.125in). I picked up a 1.125in Oak dowel to play with and see what I could do with it. I've got a make shift drill press I was just gonna use a .75" Forstner bit to try and punch the hole, then hand sand it down from there if needed.

That being said, to mill one out would probably look WAY better than what I have planned.

Once dried, you can cut Sugru with a sharp blade, but that's pretty much the extent of the shaping after drying. Now, before drying, you can shape to your heart's content and smooth any shape with a wet finger. It's fantastic material for a lot of applications. I've added a dot of it to my Evod switch, just as a tactile indicator! Worked like a charm!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread