Mod Vinyl Wrap Template

Status
Not open for further replies.

tehmidcap

Verified Member
Mar 13, 2015
PA
Hey all, just wondering if anyone has done this and if they could give me a hand,

I was thinking about buying some 3M Vinyl Wrap (or perhaps finding a place to have custom patterns/colors printed) to purdy up a couple of my mods. Doing a mechanical is not so complicated, but I was trying to think of the best way to go about wrapping a regulated box mod.

What kind of computer program could I use to draw out a template (measure the dimensions of the device/button placement/screen placement/etc) that I could print out then use as a guide to cut the vinyl wrap? Could I do something like that accurately in Photoshop or would I need some kind of CAD-like program? Are there any pre existing templates out there (Kbox is one of the ones I'm considering doing).

jbok

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2014
Virginia
Hey all, just wondering if anyone has done this and if they could give me a hand,

I was thinking about buying some 3M Vinyl Wrap (or perhaps finding a place to have custom patterns/colors printed) to purdy up a couple of my mods. Doing a mechanical is not so complicated, but I was trying to think of the best way to go about wrapping a regulated box mod.

What kind of computer program could I use to draw out a template (measure the dimensions of the device/button placement/screen placement/etc) that I could print out then use as a guide to cut the vinyl wrap? Could I do something like that accurately in Photoshop or would I need some kind of CAD-like program? Are there any pre existing templates out there (Kbox is one of the ones I'm considering doing).

All I did was use some double stick tape and wrapped printer paper around my mod. I then used a sharp pencil and drew the outline. I cut it out to see how it fits, if I liked it then I lightly glued it to a piece of 1/2 mdf and cut it out with a table saw and then took care of the radius with a drum sander attached to a drill press. I then layed the template over the carbon fiber vinyl and cut it our with a fresh razor blade. One for my SX mini and one for my IVP mini v2

These are my MDF templates
IMG_1565.JPG

A snug fit on the SX
FullSizeRender.jpg

It was too are to get an exact profile match on the IPV so I just made a rectangle and rounded off the corners
IMG_1566.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread