Mod reading different ohms that the atty indicates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kazuko

May 17, 2018
France
Hi everyone,

I own an eleaf iStick Melo kit, with the stock Melo 4 D22 tank. I have the same kind of atty that was pre-installed when I bought the kit, which is an EC2 0.3 head, single coil Kanthal.

Ever since the first day I had it, it reads 0.24ohms, and not 0.3. I've changed the coil several times, and it always read less than what the coil indicates (for instance, I bought 0.18 SS316 attys, and the mod reads them as 0.16).
The interesting thing is, my girlfriend has the same kit, the same atty, and it actually reads the same.

I know that large differences in the indication and readings could be caused by the mod not recognizing a coil change, and be quite harmful for the setup atty. But it's not the case here, it detects changes fine, I even forced it to re-read the coil, just to make sure, but it always reads 0.24...

I'm curious to know if anyone has had similar issues with eleaf (or maybe other brands') products.
Also, I'd like to know what to trust : is the mod right? Or is the atty right? And if the atty's right, is the selected wattage off ? (Since the mod reads lower resistance, and it calculates the voltage required for my wattage based on it, atm it shows 3.46V, which is the right calculation for 50W on 0.24ohm, but if it fires this on a 0.3ohm resistance, it only represents 40W, if my understanding of ohm's law is right)

Reactions: stols001

Kazuko

May 17, 2018
France
It is common for replaceable heads to have a slight Ω variance, .06Ω isn't anything to worry about. (six one hundredths of an ohm).

The power device senses resistance & sends whatever voltage is necessary to the delivery device to arrive at the users set wattage.

The thing is I replaced the atty at least 5 times (for the same model), and it really always reads 0.24, never 0.23 or 0.25. It seems strange that a big manufacturer could be consistently off by 20% of the target resistance...

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
The majority of power devices & replacement heads are mass produced as cheaply as possible, expecting pin point accuracy isn't realistic.

Again, a slight variance isn't anything to worry about.
If you set your power device to 40w doesn't matter what the coil resistance is, it will provide/send whatever voltage is necessary to supply your set wattage.

Another reason to always vape to your individual taste, not to a number. Makes no difference what the display shows as long as you enjoy the vape you get.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
It seems strange that a big manufacturer could be consistently off by 20% of the target resistance...
Not strange at all. In fact it is common practice. Manufacturers often site that their accepted variance in ohms can be off + or - a specific value somewhere on their product description.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
It's not strange to have slight variance, and sometimes in one direction or the other, consistently. For example, my Steampunk will usually read something slightly higher than my other mods.

Unless you have somehow locked your resistance (I'd probably watch a youtube video or two on your device if you aren't sure you've done that) and well, if you haven't it's really not something to fret over. It is a very small change. I'd just check to make sure you haven't accidentally locked your resistance somehow, and if you haven't, I wouldn't worry. That amount of "change" is really insignificant in the grand scheme of things and should not cause any issues whatsoever.

Best of luck,

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread