Mod Battery Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bombies

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 27, 2013
United States
Hello fellow vapers. I need help buying batteries for my Stainless Chi You clone, Brass Chi You clone, and a EHPro Nzonic. I use a VAMO right now that I got from fasttech, it came with the grey Panasonic batteries. I want some batteries that require no modification to work in the mods listed. Please include a link to where I can buy them. The SS Chi You is being delivered tomorrow and I want to hurry up and order some batteries.

http://www.fasttech.com/products/1233700

$14.79 Panasonic NCR18650B Rechargeable 3400mAh 3.7V 18650 Lithium Batteries 2-pack - authentic cells / 2-pack at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Will the batteries list above work in both the VAMO and the mods?

I heard you want to use protected batteries in the Chi You, and Nzonic.
And the VAMO can use unprotected batteries as it has a chip in it to regulate them.

Any help with making this decision would be of much importance to me. The mods are coming in the mail tomorrow so I want to order batteries as fast as possible.

Bombies

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 27, 2013
United States
This is the battery that you want: $13.62 Panasonic NCR18650PD 18650 3.6V 2900mAH Rechargeable Li-ion Batteries (2-Pack) 2-pack at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
It works great. There's a video on YouTube about them by Bishopheals. He really explains and shows the details about this battery very well. Good luck.
Edit- Here's the link for the video: ORBTRONIC 18650 2900HD Part 2 - YouTube
Btw- This battery doesn't need any modification to work in the Chi you. The bottom edge of the battery is covered by the battery wrap. Orbtronics also sells them, but I think they're out of stock. Hope this helps. :)

I asked the same question on reddit and one person answered me this is what they said (text above).

Im confused because I read you want to use protected batteries with mechanical mods like the Chi You and Nzonic.
The VAMO can use unprotected because it has a chip in it that regulates?
Please someone clarify this for me as I want to order batteries ASAP!

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
i use the 2900 myself and its a pretty good battery in the mech.

the protected batteries are not required but are usually considered a safe alternative to a completely unprotected mod. there are also small fuses you can use. as well as some mods have a spring that will collapse under a shorted coil. i do not know the clones you talk about so i dont know if they have hot springs.

simply put. if you take the time and make coils that are tested and you know you dont have a short circuit or any problems the battery should be ok. get to know the warning signs of a short like the mod or button gets really hot almost instantly and/or the coil tastes burnt. and learn how to make a proper coil and you will be ok. going slow, making sure you know what you are doing and being safe are key.

vapo jam

ECF Veteran
May 25, 2013
county of orange, ca
it depends... what are you going to do with the mechanicals?

both batteries will be fine with the vamo. the ncr18650b has a 6.8 amp continuous limit, and i believe the ncr18650pd has a 10 amp limit. the vamo will only fire up to 5 amps, which is well within the spec for both.

if you're planning on using these with rebuildables, you'll need to make sure that you don't exceed the amp ratings. the b has a max pulse of 12 amps for 5-6 seconds, and the pd 18 amps for 5-6 seconds, but it's best to stay below the continuous rating, so make sure you build your coils with enough resistance.

if you're planning on going sub-ohm, the best batteries available are the aw 18650 imr 1600 mah (24 amp continuous), or the mnke 18650 (20 amp continuous, 60 amp burst). the best price i've seen for both is on rtd vapor:

https://rtdvapor.com/

the mnke is usually out of stock, though. anyways, either of these batteries (aw or mnke) is considered safe for any type of pv you can put it in.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
The following is an excerpt from my forum guide on mod batteries. For the full article and additional resource information, follow this link:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/blogs/baditude/4848-9-battery-basics-mods-imr-protected.html

PROTECTED or IMR BATTERY: ​Which is best for your application?

NCR/ICR Li Ion. Lithium ion class batteries, also called "protected batteries".

• These are batteries that have a built-in protective circuit. This is because they contain a volatile chemistry that can become unstable when hot, and when short circuited can vent violently with flame in an event that is called "thermal runaway". If safe battery practices and common sense is used, they can be considered relatively safe in a mod. I personally believe using a Vape Safe fuse with these batteries is a wise move, but this is optional depending upon how safe you wish to be and how hard you use your batteries in your mod. http://www.thevapesafe.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=19&Itemid=163
  • These batteries have a higher capacity (mAh rating) than IMR batteries and are used primarily in single voltage applications in a mechanical mod when long battery time is the primary objective.

IMR Li Mn. Lithium manganese class batteries. Also called "high drain", "safer chemistry", and "unprotected" batteries.

• These batteries use a safer and more stable chemistry and therefore do not require built-in protective circuits. These generally are used in regulated mods that use boost circuits to achieve variable voltage-wattage, but they can also be used in single voltage mechanical mods as an safer alternative to protected batteries.
  • This class will have less capacity in mAh rating compared to protected batteries, but are superior to them when maximum load current is required, such as in regulated mods, or mechanical mods using an Evolv Kick, or sub ohm RBA's.

Hybrid IMR Protected batteries.

• Panasonic has released a new battery technology that is both a safe chemistry IMR and protected battery in one. These have the safety and maximum load current of an IMR, and the higher mAh capacity and protected circuit of a protected NCR battery. More expensive than previous two choices.
  • A good all-purpose choice for applications that demand both maximum load current and long battery time. Can be used for either mechanical or regulated mods.

:danger: DO NOT USE ANY "LI-ION BATTERY" that does not say explicitly that it is PROTECTED. These ICR type batteries are not "safe chemistry" nor are they protected, and are therefore not suitable for use in mechanical mods. "Unprotected" is not synonamous with safe chemistry Li-Mn IMR - check the chemistry listed. These batteries have been seen in mod kits from FastTech. http://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10004184/1315401-authentic-sanyo-ur18500fk-18500-1700mah-37v-rechar

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/general-e-smoking-discussion/462672-mod-batteries-fasttech-ebay.html

**If you are using sub ohm coils in an RBA/RDA, it is extremely important to use the highest quality battery and the correct type. This application requires an IMR battery that has high continuous amperage capabilities of 20 amps​. Only a few batteries have this specification. The AW 18650 IMR 1600 mAh and the MNKE 18650 IMR 1600 mAh come to mind. http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/rebuildable-atomizer-systems/432181-need-help-picking-best-battery-sub-ohm-vaping.html

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread