Status
Not open for further replies.

chopdoc

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2014
Independence, Louisiana, United States
I have a bunch of mixing I need to do but been behind the power curve these last few days and trying to use up some of the stuff I recently mixed. Plan on making a couple things tonight. Want to whip up a sample of hangsen Gold and Silver of 5ml at %3 flavor so if my math is correct I will need .015 flavoring in the mix which will be about impossible so will go with %4 so I can use .02 flavoring.
I dont need my mixtures to be within a gnats ... of correct but I want to be closer than trying to eyeball with my old eyes having a hard enough time seeing small stuff.

Reactions: oplholik

sketchness

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2014
Sacramento, CA
I have a bunch of mixing I need to do but been behind the power curve these last few days and trying to use up some of the stuff I recently mixed. Plan on making a couple things tonight. Want to whip up a sample of hangsen Gold and Silver of 5ml at %3 flavor so if my math is correct I will need .015 flavoring in the mix which will be about impossible so will go with %4 so I can use .02 flavoring.
I dont need my mixtures to be within a gnats *** of correct but I want to be closer than trying to eyeball with my old eyes having a hard enough time seeing small stuff.

Measuring .15mls is totally doable. Which would be 3% of 5mls. 5 x .03 = .15

Most pg flavors are 1.03 or close enough for our purposes. So 1.03 x .15 = .1545 rounds off to .15

Reactions: chopdoc

chopdoc

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2014
Measuring .15mls is totally doable. Which would be 3% of 5mls. 5 x .03 = .15

Most pg flavors are 1.03 or close enough for our purposes. So 1.03 x .15 = .1545 rounds off to .15

For some reason or other I was thinking %3 would be .015. Must be just getting later for usually I am not bad at math but your right, .15 is the correct mixture and its in the UC speed steeping now.

Reactions: sketchness

Capt.shay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
W. Ma. U.S.A.
For some reason or other I was thinking %3 would be .015. Must be just getting later for usually I am not bad at math but your right, .15 is the correct mixture and its in the UC speed steeping now.

Don't do math. That is what we have juice calculators for. Use them :) Lately I have been using an app called Liquix but there are a bunch out there. Just make sure that it uses weight as well as ML's.

As far as test batches go, I never make anything less than 10ML. The smaller the batch the more a small mistake can matter and conversely, a larger batch is more tolerant of any inconsistencies. Also, I think it is important to sample just after mixing and then again during the steeping process as well as share it with people to get others opinions. Our ingredients are so inexpensive that it just makes sense to me to make a little larger batch.

Let us know how things work out!

chopdoc

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2014
Don't do math. That is what we have juice calculators for. Use them :) Lately I have been using an app called Liquix but there are a bunch out there. Just make sure that it uses weight as well as ML's.

Been looking for a decent online calculator. I run linux and these windows based calculators can be a royal pain to make work properly. Usually I use ecigexpress calculator and now I just convert the flavors to PG weights. It works for me.

Capt.shay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
W. Ma. U.S.A.
Don't use juice calculators. This is what we have brains for. Use them :)

We have a brain so we can recognize that using a device to calculate a slightly complex problem is less likely to result in and error. You want to do it in your head then by all means do so, but realize you are being a fool to not at least check your work with a calculator

It's so easy to misuse a calculator. To mix 60 mg nic juice instead of 6 mg... Yes, do not use brains or math, be happy.

What is this, pompous arrogance night on ECF? Some how you think your brain is so keen that it is less prone to error than using a calculator? Sure man. Your my hero. Clap yourself on the back for me.

chopdoc

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2014
I like to keep my mixing as simple as possible. I mix up a 80VG/20PG 4mg nic base for %5 flavor and use that the majority of the time just to keep things simple. What is great about using the scale is I can use it to measure out how much flavor I am wanting and then add my base mixture to it and im done.
Having a good calculator would be nice but i would need one thats compatible with Linux or easy to set up with PlayonLinux which is a program that allows some windows program to run on Linux. An online calculator that did weights would be perfect to me so if anyone knows of one, please let me know.
But with doing math, I can see why for some its best if they left it up to the calculator and others like me dont mind doing the math.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
But with doing math, I can see why for some its best if they left it up to the calculator and others like me dont mind doing the math.

I kinda Cringe when I see the Level of Trust that many people put into Calculators. And how concept of "Garbage In = Garbage Out" is not taken as Seriously as it should.

Doing the Math for DIY isn't all that Bad. And whereas a person might not be able to do Everything in their Head, or perhaps even on a piece of Paper, I think Everyone should be able to get a "Ball Park" Numbers to at least be Able to Verify that what an e-Liquid Calculators says is True.

I have told Many People that knowing How to do Math isn't about generating Answers. It's about knowing how to Approach and then Solve Problems. And that what you Learn doing Something like a DIY Mixture will help you Down the Road when you encounter another type of Numerical Problem.

BTW - Here is something I posted awhile back. I illustrates what I mean about Blind Faith in a Calculator. And how "GI=GO"...

Man... I wish I could hit the Like Button about 20 Times for this.

I remember I gave a test once and one of the Questions asked to find the Radius of the Earth if the Circumference at the Equator was 24,900 Miles. A student came up to me and told me marked his Question wrong when it wasn't.

I said OK, what answer do you have? He told me the Radius of the Earth was 720,000 Miles.

I smiled and said, "How can the Radius of ANY Circle be Larger than the Circumference?"

Undaunted, he proceeded to Pull Out his TI-89 and Furiously type numbers into it. And then with a Defiant Smirk pointed the Calculator in my Face and said, "See.. See. It's 720,000 Miles".

Is my calculation accurate | E-Cigarette Forum

Capt.shay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
W. Ma. U.S.A.
I kinda Cringe when I see the Level of Trust that many people put into Calculators. And how concept of "Garbage In = Garbage Out" is not taken as Seriously as it should.

If you write the wrong numbers down and then do the math on paper it comes out just as wrong. Garbage in garbage out works in any scenario.

Of course I put a huge level of trust in to a calculator as does ANY person who works with numbers regularly. They work. That's why.

This thread is about a new mixer needing help, not about you stroking your ego.

Chop, I know nothing about Linus other than he likes his blanket. I'm no help figuring out what is compatible with your system. Calculators are helpful especially when you start changing up percentages and such and despite the objections of our future Mensa members above, I still recommend you try to find one that will work on your 'puter.

Happy mixing, have fun!

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
If you write the wrong numbers down and then do the math on paper it comes out just as wrong. Garbage in garbage out works in any scenario.

Of course I put a huge level of trust in to a calculator as does ANY person who works with numbers regularly. They work. That's why.

This thread is about a new mixer needing help, not about you stroking your ego.

Chop, I know nothing about Linus other than he likes his blanket. I'm no help figuring out what is compatible with your system. Calculators are helpful especially when you start changing up percentages and such and despite the objections of our future Mensa members above, I still recommend you try to find one that will work on your 'puter.

Happy mixing, have fun!

Not sure why You think that Everyone who suggests that Doing Math is a Good thing is Stroking their Ego?

But then again, I'm not sure why Anyone would tell someone to Not to Do Math?

If you think doing Math either to get an Answer (or to Check a Result of a Calculator/Software) isn't Important, hey No Problem.

I just hope their will be an App for every type Math Problem that you will Encounter down the road.

BigEgo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2013
Alabama
Been looking for a decent online calculator. I run linux and these windows based calculators can be a royal pain to make work properly. Usually I use ecigexpress calculator and now I just convert the flavors to PG weights. It works for me.

e-Liquid Calculator

1) Create an account.

2) Enter all of the flavors you own into your flavor stash

3) Turn on measure by weight in your settings

4) Go to "Create Recipe" and start mixing away. Just enter the percentage of everything you want (PG/VG flavors, nic) and it will automatically give you the gram weight you need to mix for each.

It will also save all your recipes so you can remember what you actually made so you can replicate it (as well as add notes, etc.)

Since it is browser based, you don't need to install any software or worry about which OS you are using.

chopdoc

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2014
e-Liquid Calculator

1) Create an account.

2) Enter all of the flavors you own into your flavor stash

3) Turn on measure by weight in your settings

4) Go to "Create Recipe" and start mixing away. Just enter the percentage of everything you want (PG/VG flavors, nic) and it will automatically give you the gram weight you need to mix for each.

It will also save all your recipes so you can remember what you actually made so you can replicate it (as well as add notes, etc.)

Since it is browser based, you don't need to install any software or worry about which OS you are using.

ECF doesnt like your link so I am hoping its the same one I am using. It does make it easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread