Mixing By Weight: A Question...

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Also - I've discovered my kitchen scale only measures to the nearest gram. Will this be a problem?

Most likely unless all your ingredients in any given recipe happen to be super close to 1-gram increments (highly unlikely).

Since some liquids are heavier than others, how do you account for that

That's why those weights are preset into the calculator either by you or by the calculator programmer, depending on what calculator you use.

You will see varying weights if you do searches, but my weights for my ingredients using my scale are as follows...

- Nicotine base (100mg, PG-based) - 1.035g/ml

- PG - 1.045g/ml

- VG - 1.254g/ml

- Distilled water - 0.972g/ml

- Flavoring (PG-based) - 1.034g/ml (average among a few flavors I had at that time)

As you can see, the avg weight of the PG-based flavors I weighed and the weight of my PG-based 100mg nic base are essentially the same.

Last edited:

Dan_V

Mar 14, 2024
    I just mixed together 50g PG & 50g of VG together and added 4x 10ml nic shots that are 18mg. I forgot to take off the 40ml of nicotine I put in. It tastes fine, but how much mg of nicotine is in this mix now?

Will it be more or less than 6mg?

Unfortunately, I have run out of space in the bottle,

Last edited:

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    I just mixed together 50g PG & 50g of VG together and added 4x 10ml nic shots that are 18mg. I forgot to take off the 40ml of nicotine I put in. It tastes fine, but how much mg of nicotine is in this mix now?

Will it be more or less than 6mg?

Unfortunately, I have run out of space in the bottle,

According to my calc, that's 5.14mg.

For an even 6mg you'd have to add another 10ml 18mg nic shot.

These #s above assuming you haven't added any flavoring yet. You didn't say.

Reactions: Dan_V

Dan_V

Mar 14, 2024

Yes, I added flavouring. I have no idea how much. I added it until it looked the right colour.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Yes, I added flavouring. I have no idea how much. I added it until it looked the right colour.

Well then you're looking at less than 5.14mg. How much less is anyone's guess since you have no idea the quantity of flavoring added.

But as an example: if you added 5ml of flavor then you have 4.97mg, 10ml then 4.8mg, 20ml then 4.5mg, etc.

Last edited:

Dan_V

Mar 14, 2024
    Cuz fractions and math
    I can't do maths. At all. I can't understand fractions.

I will have to invent my own method by marking lines on a bottle. Like the way I use pieces of string to measure things instead of a ruler, and beads for adding and subtracting numbers. Just not sure how this will work, but I will find a way.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    I can't do maths. At all. I can't understand fractions.

That's why you use a calculator like I said in another thread.

I will have to invent my own method by marking lines on a bottle.

In your case that's probably really all you'll need.

Reactions: Dan_V

Dan_V

Mar 14, 2024
    Fresh start...

I've ordered some gear and looked at this calculator:

I honestly don't forsee myself having any problems following this method.
    It looks like the calculator accounts for the weight differences between the liquids.

My pocket digital scale, with an accuracy of 00.01g has arrived. Looking forward to the rest of the stuff arriving. I just put all the above down to the ignorance of my first attempt, without any method or organisation.

Users who are viewing this thread