Status
Not open for further replies.

BuGlen

Divergent
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2012
Tampa, Florida
I have a joyetech eGo-C setup, and I wanted to try something different, so I decided to purchase a couple of different clearomizers to check out. First of all, I'd like to give a shout-out to MyFreedomSmokes for the excellent service and low prices. I ordered both packs of clearos on Sunday, they shipped on Monday, and were in my greedy little hands on Wednesday. I'll absolutely be ordering from MFS again in the near future.

Now for the first-impression reviews:

CE4+ eGo Clearomizer by MiT
These are similar to the Vision Ego Clearomizers in form and function, but are manufactured by MiT (which is indicated by the little holographic sticker on the back). They are available from multiple online stores as single units for starting at about $6 each, or in packs of 5 for about $25. The pack I purchased was the standard resistance @ 2.4 to 2.7 ohms, which I'm connecting to a regulated 3.3v eGo-C battery.

The Good:
Price - At the price I paid for the 5 pack, these cost the same as the stock eGo-C atties at about $5 each.
Construction - These things appear to be very solid and extremely well made, and I've had no issues with leaks so far.
Filling - In a word, easy. Just unscrew the tip, tilt it so your juice runs down the inside of the tank, and fill straight from the bottle.
Vapor - The amount of vapor produced is a bit better than the LR eGo-C atties I've been using.
Flavor - Right out of the box, the flavor seems to be more a bit pronounced when compared to the eGo-C atty/tank setup.
Looks - The CE4+ doesn't have the measurement lines on the outside of the tank, which I don't really like or need.
Power Consumption - The higher resistance coil consumes less power, and I'm getting about 10% to 20% more life out of my batteries between charges compared to the LR eGo-C atties.

The Not-So-Good:
Looks - The CE4+ is just a bit larger in diameter than the Joyetech eGo-C batteries, which detracts a bit from the style.
Draw - The draw on the CE4+ is very loose, like sucking through a drinking straw with no resistance. This makes it difficult to gauge the draw when you're used to using something that has a medium to tight draw like the standard eGo-C atty/tank setup.

Summary:
These probably work much better on a battery that provides more than regulated 3.3v (which I don't have), but even at the lower voltage the performance is pretty good. I would imagine that their sweet spot for this resistance would be somewhere between 3.7v and 4.2v. The TH is about the same as I'm getting on the LR eGo-C atties, but with slightly better flavor and vapor production. The very loose draw might be something I could get used to, but it's a learning curve for me.

Vision eGo Clearomizers
(aka Stardust)
These are available from multiple online stores as single units starting at about $6 each, or in packs of 4 for about $21. The pack I purchased was the low resistance @ 2.1 to 2.4 ohms, which I'm connecting to a regulated 3.3v eGo-C battery.

The Good:
Price - As with the CE4+, purchasing these in a package of 4 puts them at about the same price as the stock eGo-C atties.
Construction - Although they don't appear to be quite as solid as the CE4+, they do seem to be fairly solid and should hold up under normal usage conditions. Again, no leak issues in the short time I've been using them.
Filling - Just like the CE4+, filling is very easy straight from the juice bottle.
Vapor - This is where the LR becomes apparent as vapor production from these is very good. I'm sure it's nowhere near what you might get from a Provari with a DCT setup, but for a small and inexpensive device it pumps out some nice clouds.
Draw - The draw on these are perfect for me. Not at all tight, and not loose, but just right.
Looks - These are pretty much the same diameter as the standard Joyetech eGo-C battery, so they don't look like an "add-on" at all.
Power Consumption - These are considered LR @ 2.1 to 2.4 ohms, but they outperform the eGo-C LR atties @ 1.8 ohms, and consume about the same power as the eGo-C SR atties @ 2.2 ohms.

The Not-So-Good:
Flavor - Out of the box, the flavor is a bit off. Not bad, burnt, or muted, but just off. I've read that this is common for clearos and it gets better as you go, so only time will tell.
Looks - I just don't like the measure marks on the outside of the tank. To me, it detracts from the looks and isn't very useful.
Flooding - Unlike the CE4+, I had a flooding issue with one of the first Vision clearos I used. This may have been my fault as I may have overfilled it (I don't think I did), but the draw went loose and it started gurgling and wouldn't produce much vapor. I've since rinsed it out and it's drying now, so I'll give it another shot tomorrow to see if it's still good.

Summary:
With the exception of the "off" flavor out of the box and the flooding incident, these are a solid performer on a 3.3v regulated eGo type battery. They look very sharp on both the matte black and stainless steel finish eGo batteries, and I actually prefer the way they look to the standard eGo-C/T cones. The vapor production and TH is better than anything I've tried in my short-time vaping experience so far, which doesn't yet include any APVs (mods).

That's it for now. I'll follow up after a week or two as I get more experience with each of these. Until then, Happy Vaping! :2cool:

BuGlen

Divergent
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2012
Tampa, Florida
Quick update with a question to those who uses clearos. As I mentioned in my review, one of the Stardust clearos experienced what I though was flooding, but that might not be the issue. Since then, I've done a thorough rinse, let it dry overnight, and tried it again. Both the first time, and after the rinse, it worked great on the first tank of juice. After refilling the tank, the vapor drops to almost nothing and it starts sputtering and spitting. This last time, it even spit a tiny bit of hot juice up through the mouthpiece and into my mouth.

Has anyone else had this happen to them when using a clearo?

The other Stardust and the two CE4+ clearos I have in rotation are all working great, so it just seems to be this one for some reason.

BuGlen

Divergent
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2012
Tampa, Florida
This happens after re-filling? Make sure you haven't cross-threaded the tip. I found that's easy to do and if it's cross-threaded, it doesn't go all the way down and make the seal against the silicone cap inside.

I thought of that. I've tried removing the tip and screwing it back in several times, but once it starts happening, it just keeps doing it. The first time it happened, I did a hot water rinse and let it dry and it seems to fix it until I tried filling it again (without the rinse). Like I said, the other one I'm using now is working great, so it might just be something weird with this one.

Maestro

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2012
Windsor, Ontario
The center post can shift on these units Try this: tighten the unit down fairly snug on the battery and then unscrew the tip a turn or two. Then see if you can tighten the stardust down some more. If it will tighten further after this, you've just pushed up the center post. You can then tighten the tip back down and it shouldn't leak. Worth a try.

BuGlen

Divergent
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2012
Tampa, Florida
The center post can shift on these units Try this: tighten the unit down fairly snug on the battery and then unscrew the tip a turn or two. Then see if you can tighten the stardust down some more. If it will tighten further after this, you've just pushed up the center post. You can then tighten the tip back down and it shouldn't leak. Worth a try.

I tried your suggestion and it didn't seem to work. It seems that the seal between the tip and the silicone cap isn't always secure and sometimes I can fix it by removing the tip and screwing back in. I read in another thread of other people having the same type of issue with a recommend of trying to get something underneath the silicone cap and pulling it up just a hair. I've be giving that a shot and I hope it works.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...tank-discussion/287116-stardust-flooding.html

BuGlen

Divergent
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2012
Tampa, Florida
On the issues with the Stardust, I seem to have found the trick. If I turn the tip several times before treading to screw it down, it seems to thread correctly 9 out of 10 times. It's a bit of a hassle, but one I can live with given the flavor I'm getting off of these puppies.

Also a quick update on the "off" flavor I originally described. I'm starting to believe the the flavor tasted off because I was used to the flavor from the eGo-C atty / tank setup, which is somewhat muted. The first time tasting my favorite juice (Dragon's Blood from ECBlend) in the Stardust was a bit of a shock to my taste buds, but now it just tastes so much better.

Other than the minor issue with the threading of the tip, and the measurement marks which I don't like, these are kicking some serious booty!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread