Mini review of the Hello 016 from a noob

Status
Not open for further replies.

ab357

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Chgo., IL.
I was hoping someone would post a review of the Hello 016. As a newbie I don't feel qualified to give quantitative review. I recall one of the forum vets asking for a review so here goes.

I decided to try the 016 after reading about it here. I purchased mine from Mad Vapes for 49.99 That was for a complete kit. The kit includes one battery, two cone attys, wall/usb charging unit, and a box of ten prefilled carts.

When I first got it, I posted here how the plastic battery covering wasn't in place when it arrived. I did finally get it in the proper position but was concerned that was a sign of things to come. I'll return to that later.

The Hello is a Ego/Tornado/Maxx style 510. It advertises the longest battery life due to it being 1400 mAh. I "think" they advertise at least eight hrs. of heavy vaping. If I'm awake, I'm vaping and this is my primary VP. I average 1.5 to 2 days out of each charge.

The instructions advise that the battery be initially charged for 8 full hrs., use for 20 mins. and then charge for 1 more hour. I don't know why but of course I followed instructions. It stated that subsequent charges should be at least 3.5 hrs. even if it turns green earlier.

The other distinction from the other types and the 016 is that the cone and atty is a one piece unit. As a novice I love this because it doesn't allow any seepage! If I drip too much juice, I have to pour it out from the top. None of the attys have flooded on me even the couple times I wasn't paying attention and filled the cone with juice.

I also ordered a box of cartomizers. I was disappointed because only one seemed to work with the 016 although no problem on my 510 batteries. I've since discovered that some cartomizers only work if you don't completely tighten it. So once I get it all the way tight, I unscrew one turn and no problems including no leakage from the bottom.

I can only compare it to the 510 and 901. It by far blows both away both with vapor and flavor. Not liking my experience with any of my VPs with the carts or cartomizers I began dripping. Here again the 016 has a huge advantage because of the one piece cone/atty.

Although I carry a little baggie of prefilled carts when I'm out and about, I find that dripping even while sitting at red lights, etc. isn't any problem. Oh, I also use a dripper tip.

My initial battery did die out after a week or so. However within a couple hrs. of sending an email, I got a reply stating they were sending out a complete new kit and a postage paid shipping envelope to send the old unit back. I received the new unit in I think three days. In addition to a full kit as promised, they had included an upgraded charging unit.

My only complaint with this and all my units was the lack of TH due to my preference for 0 nic juices. However the 016 clearly came closest. Then I received my first LR atty. TH at last! The 016 clearly produces more TH for me than my 510 or 901 batteries.

Because the battery lasts so long, I haven't purchased a pass through. However I literally go through 2 to 3 batteries during it's 3.5 hr. charge cycle. :blush: With the LR atty I do get a bit of occasional seepage. But that's with all my 510s as well. Still a newbie remember. LOL

Finally... the 016 is my workhorse vape and will be unless I discover a mod I like better or Hello comes out with an upgraded version. The perfect upgrade would be LR atty/cones.

ab357

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Chgo., IL.
I thought that was an excellent review ab. You've tried a lot of different things in the last month. Cudos! :)

Thanks. I guess I should have added that the battery is sealed and doesn't have the bottom/loose battery issues of some of the others. Also being sealed the occasional seepage doesn't affect the battery.

I REALLY hope they do come out with a LR cone-atty. :2cool:

I've tried even more sources and flavors for juices. I do get a nice TH using the "conamizer", dripper tip and Creme de menthe with a splash of menthol from Dat's Vaper. However I just placed ANOTHER order for some doublers from Tasty Vapor. I couldn't resist stocking up on their cheap attys ($4) and another 510 battery ($6). I love their fruity and sweat flavored doublers since they are 0 nic, 4 ozs, (about 120 ml) and only 15 bucks.

ab357

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Chgo., IL.
ab, get a bottle of everclear and add about 5 drops for every 10 ml to your juice and shake it up. It works good for TH and a fifth will last years unless you start drinking the stuff :b

Oh I'm going to. One of the staples at one of my fraternal gatherings is some southern Moonshine so I may take an occasional sip or two of the everclear.:evil:

Upinthehills

ECF Veteran
May 12, 2010
Colorado
I got a Hello 016, too, and mostly agree with you, ab357. I really like how long the battery lasts and it's going to be a regular in my battery rotation. I travel quite a bit, so battery longevity is important to me. There are a couple of downsides, I like the conamizer (Good word, I like it!) but at $11.00 a pop they're pretty expensive. I've not had any issues getting my regular 510 attys and cartomizers to fit though, so it's not a huge deal. It does look a lot better with the conamizer, though. Too bad the 510 cones don't fit it.

Another issue is the rubbery coating on the battery. It's peeling off of mine. I've now started scraping it with my fingernails and will soon have all of it off. The finish below that rubbery stuff is a nice shiny black, so again, it's not a huge deal.

As a whole, I like the 016, but since I already had the chargers, and if money were tight, I might have used the $50.00 to buy a couple more eGo batteries.

txtumbleweed

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Walla Walla
I just received my 016 today and i'm very happy with it except I wish the cone was removable so I could use the LR attys with a cone. The long battery life was my main objective and that was accomlished. Maybe someone will come up with a good way to remove the cone so you could use it with regular 510 attys. I don't want to pay 11.00 for an atty.

Orion

ECF Veteran
Feb 23, 2010
Central Florida
I just received my 016 today and i'm very happy with it except I wish the cone was removable so I could use the LR attys with a cone. The long battery life was my main objective and that was accomlished. Maybe someone will come up with a good way to remove the cone so you could use it with regular 510 attys. I don't want to pay 11.00 for an atty.

The madvapes forum has a couple tips on removing the cone, but with the purpose of reusing the cone and detroying the atty with it.

You can use any 510 atty, LR or cartomizer with it, but you have to unscrew the atty abouthalf a turn because there are no draw holes built into the battery.

The cone on the other hand has 1 or 2 holes in the atty that are hidden by the cone for draw.

ab357

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Chgo., IL.

I want them to add LR conamizors. I love using it with my LR 510 atty. It still looks good and I have no problem taking mine out with my black LR atty.

I saw a post that referred to a 5 pack of LR 510 cartomizers for 11.00 with free shipping. I'm close to ordering a pack. I need to find out if you can remove the filler and direct drip without destroying it first.

txtumbleweed

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Walla Walla
The madvapes forum has a couple tips on removing the cone, but with the purpose of reusing the cone and detroying the atty with it.

You can use any 510 atty, LR or cartomizer with it, but you have to unscrew the atty abouthalf a turn because there are no draw holes built into the battery.

The cone on the other hand has 1 or 2 holes in the atty that are hidden by the cone for draw.

I tried a cartomizer on it without the cone and it works fine but I just don't like the looks or feel. I really like how it vapes though and won't mind paying the 11 bucks for the conamizers if they last a few weeks. How many drops are the maximum you should should drip with the cone?

ab357

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Chgo., IL.
I tried a cartomizer on it without the cone and it works fine but I just don't like the looks or feel. I really like how it vapes though and won't mind paying the 11 bucks for the conamizers if they last a few weeks. How many drops are the maximum you should should drip with the cone?

Blind asking the blind. :blush: I usually do 2 or 3 at a time. It also depends on the PG/VG mixture and some blends. I have accidentally completely filled the cone a time or two. I just poured the juice out and vaped what was left without any problem.

DonDaBoomVape

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2009
South Florida
www.VapingGuides.com
Thank you, ab! This is an excellent review by any standards (not only for a self-described newbie).

The so-so build quality of the unit is what I expected. Their other product, the Hello 010, is a disposable (also with higher mAh than the model it clones, the 510). On the other hand: "It by far blows [the 510 and 901] away both with vapor and flavor." I have not read similar statements about the eGO. Now, if we can only find someone with a multimeter to measure the voltage.

I love your turn of phrase: "If I'm awake, I'm vaping"! That's pretty much true for me, but I never expressed it so well.

Thanks again, ab!

ab357

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Chgo., IL.
I got a Hello 016, too, and mostly agree with you, ab357. I really like how long the battery lasts and it's going to be a regular in my battery rotation. I travel quite a bit, so battery longevity is important to me. There are a couple of downsides, I like the conamizer (Good word, I like it!) but at $11.00 a pop they're pretty expensive. I've not had any issues getting my regular 510 attys and cartomizers to fit though, so it's not a huge deal. It does look a lot better with the conamizer, though. Too bad the 510 cones don't fit it.

Another issue is the rubbery coating on the battery. It's peeling off of mine. I've now started scraping it with my fingernails and will soon have all of it off. The finish below that rubbery stuff is a nice shiny black, so again, it's not a huge deal.

As a whole, I like the 016, but since I already had the chargers, and if money were tight, I might have used the $50.00 to buy a couple more eGo batteries.

I feel like such a dork. :glare: I began noticing yesterday that my battery IN FACT does have the coating you referred to. How did I notice? I saw that there was some peeling. Although I couldn't scratch off anything when I first responded to your post. Of course I can scratch off the coating where it is peeling on it's own.

And the areas where it's peeling aren't the same as I attempted to peel earlier. Although there are a few different spots where it's peeling, I'm not at the point where I'm going to scratch away the entire thing.

I'm definitely not thrilled with the new look of my battery peeling. Particularly since this is my out and about VP.

ournature

ECF Veteran
May 26, 2009
bologna, ITALY
Thank you, ab! This is an excellent review by any standards (not only for a self-described newbie).

The so-so build quality of the unit is what I expected. Their other product, the Hello 010, is a disposable (also with higher mAh than the model it clones, the 510). On the other hand: "It by far blows [the 510 and 901] away both with vapor and flavor." I have not read similar statements about the eGO. Now, if we can only find someone with a multimeter to measure the voltage.

I love your turn of phrase: "If I'm awake, I'm vaping"! That's pretty much true for me, but I never expressed it so well.

Thanks again, ab!

i measured the voltage, it's the same of the others.
4.1V peak at full charge like the ego.
I've to say that the bigger mAh's gives little more vapor than a standard ego/tornado.
It gives better voltage peak with each draw.
the button is better than others ego-like, it never gets sticked.
battery life is about twice the ego/tornado.
the only downside is the size, it's larger and longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread