Microcoil - Ohms seem too high?

Status
Not open for further replies.

msween00

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2013
Hamden, CT
Yeah, not going to work with 32 gauge. To get 1 ohm you can only use 7/8 of an inch. That would get you about 2 wraps. With 30 gauge you could get about 5 wraps assuming you are wrapping a 1/16 diameter coil. You might could get one more wrap if your legs are less than 1/4 inch.

To get 10 wraps at 1 ohm around a 1/16 diameter bit, you are going to need 28 gauge. Even then depending on leg length it might be slightly higher than 1.0 like maybe 1.1 Then again when doing macros the goal isn't usually low ohm.

My 9/10/11 wraps of 28ga kanthal net me ~1.5-1.9ohm in evod/protank heads (and they work like a dreeeaaam).

Aal_

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2012
Toronto
Yeah, not going to work with 32 gauge. To get 1 ohm you can only use 7/8 of an inch. That would get you about 2 wraps. With 30 gauge you could get about 5 wraps assuming you are wrapping a 1/16 diameter coil. You might could get one more wrap if your legs are less than 1/4 inch.

To get 10 wraps at 1 ohm around a 1/16 diameter bit, you are going to need 28 gauge. Even then depending on leg length it might be slightly higher than 1.0 like maybe 1.1 Then again when doing macros the goal isn't usually low ohm.

Thank you Scott. I know usually micro coils are for higher ohms, but i like the way they look, and want to use them on mechanical mod lol. I will kepp on subohming the usual way then no microcoils.

Chez

Verified Member
Sep 8, 2013
Dallas, TX
My 9/10/11 wraps of 28ga kanthal net me ~1.5-1.9ohm in evod/protank heads (and they work like a dreeeaaam).

Weird.. I get 1.9 ohms (repeatedly - I've done 3 in a row exactly the same) using 30ga kanthal with 10 wraps on a protank. I'd have expected lower resistance using 28ga

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

msween00

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2013
Hamden, CT
Weird.. I get 1.9 ohms (repeatedly - I've done 3 in a row exactly the same) using 30ga kanthal with 10 wraps on a protank. I'd have expected lower resistance using 28ga

After thinking about it, I remembered some of my Evod heads I did with 30ga. My first 28 was 11 wraps for 1.5ohm. Apologies for the confusion.

Edit: oh but that might have been at 1.4mm.

Sent from my phone, please excuse typos.

Dcoin

Jun 19, 2013
NYC
The intention of the micro coil is that even though the length of wire should equal a +5ohm coil, the fact that all the wires are touching 'short' the coil back to a 2ohm reading or lower. If your coil is not tight enough and you are not shorting enough, you are going to get those higher readings, thereby defeating the purpose of the micro coil.

Chez

Verified Member
Sep 8, 2013
Dallas, TX
The intention of the micro coil is that even though the length of wire should equal a +5ohm coil, the fact that all the wires are touching 'short' the coil back to a 2ohm reading or lower. If your coil is not tight enough and you are not shorting enough, you are going to get those higher readings, thereby defeating the purpose of the micro coil.

What is the science behind that, I wonder?

Chez

Verified Member
Sep 8, 2013
Dallas, TX

What is the science behind that, I wonder?

msween00

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2013
Hamden, CT

I don't believe this is accurate. You may do a lot of wraps, but with the smaller diameter, you use less wire. The tighter the wraps and closer together, the less wire you're using.

The purpose of the micro coil is surface area on the wick.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
I don't believe this is accurate. You may do a lot of wraps, but with the smaller diameter, you use less wire. The tighter the wraps and closer together, the less wire you're using.

The purpose of the micro coil is surface area on the wick.

^ This. .......

MesaMitch

ECF Veteran
May 28, 2013
Hayward ca
I've recently started rebuilding my protank heads with microcoils built around a 1/16 drill bit using cotton ball strands for wick.

I'm doing between 8-11 wraps of 32awg Kanthal, tightly coiled and am finding the coils measure at between 4.8-5.6 Ohms, according to my zmax v3 (which seems to be reasonably accurate with pre-built coils).

Because of this I'm having to run them at 5-6v.

The vapor and flavor are great, I'm just surprised they are coming in this high, based on what others are getting in the microcoils/ohms thread when wrapping around a 1/16 drill bit.

Could it be the extra wire needed to feed down into the base of the head or that I'm wrapping them too tightly (each wrap is touching the next) or what? (Or should I just not worry and keep on vaping as its working well?).

Thanks in advance!

sounds about right with a micro coil that's why i went down to 30 gauge
30 gauge at 6-7 wraps i get about 1.3 ohms

i wanna go to 29 or 28 gauge i like my resistance low
i feel like it reaches full power faster

Aal_

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2012
Toronto

But I believe he has a point in this. you could have the same surface area with them not touching, but then the resistance will fly over the roof, the fact that they are touching makes it at a manageable resistance. I am not saying this was the intention of super_x but it is a byproduct. this is also true for the heating inside out, it is a byproduct. Super_x discovered a gold mine :)

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
But I believe he has a point in this. you could have the same surface area with them not touching, but then the resistance will fly over the roof, the fact that they are touching makes it at a manageable resistance. I am not saying this was the intention of super_x but it is a byproduct. this is also true for the heating inside out, it is a byproduct. Super_x discovered a gold mine :)

The resistance is a product of the wires length x the wires resistance per inch. If you are getting readings not consistent with that, then something is wrong. Once you get the hotspots worked out of a coil properly they will have an oxidized layer around them that PREVENTS shorting between coils. If you are getting shorting between coils they will not fire evenly, your vape will be horrid, and the coil will likely blow real soon.

Aal_

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2012
Toronto
The resistance is a product of the wires length x the wires resistance per inch. If you are getting readings not consistent with that, then something is wrong. Once you get the hotspots worked out of a coil properly they will have an oxidized layer around them that PREVENTS shorting between coils. If you are getting shorting between coils they will not fire evenly, your vape will be horrid, and the coil will likely blow real soon.

So you're saying touching or not, the coil should give same resistance? Then why am I being .... about them touching all the time if I have enough room?

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
So you're saying touching or not, the coil should give same resistance? Then why am I being .... about them touching all the time if I have enough room?

The theory is that by having the coils touch they feed each other heat, so that even though the resistance is the same as if they were spread out, the total heat will be higher. The goal being to try to get sub ohm performance from a higher ohm coil.

spawnsharks

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 11, 2013
Austin, TX
Total necropost here, but I was looking for info on nanocoiling and this came up... All I have to say is that we are AMAZING NERDS. Myself included, as I read through all 4 pages, followed the math and learned something.

Thank you to all who do the math, test, try and experiment... You make this a really fun hobby... and I can duplicate most of your results...

Huzzah! NERDS! Huzzah! NERDS! Huzzah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GoodNews!

Moved On
Oct 25, 2013
Vaping, USA
Hey guys, I'm interested in testing out microcoils from a range of 2.0ohms - 3.2ohms.

The reason I want to build microcoils (or nanocoils, or whatever) is because of the ease of changing the wick, the ease of cleaning, the fact that microcoils are very even in diameter and wouldn't choke one end of the wick and not the other, the fact that a coil that's solid enough to truly heat from the inside out may help pull in juice a little better, and because you can go through much less coil and wick in the process.

However, I'm not chasing a hot vape or a throat hit at all, and so far throughout my vaping journey, I received some flavors on my Cisco 3.5ohm atomizer that literally blew me away, flavors that were strong, full, and authentic enough that it literally felt like the flavors were tromphing on my tongue. The one thing I did note however was that the Cisco, some flavors still didn't "oomph" enough, though most of them did. Maybe a lower ohm'd coil would have helped this, not sure.

All I know is that I really am trying for a thick, full, authentic flavor to my juices, without chasing any other factors. For one, am I wise to try for the highest ohms I can, for this effect? And if so, which gauge of wire would truly combine the best of durability and ohms? Also, are there any other tricks to really getting the full, authentic flavor from a juice? In my Protank II, I notice that if I cut off the air supply completely (using an air-flow controller), that such little air gets in that the vapor is very thick, and it seems as though the taste slightly improves in that situation (as does the wicking), but I'm not totally sure, as the Protank wicks aren't giving me very good flavor at all anyway.

So if I do try for higher ohms, would it be better for me to cut down the airflow? If I don't know much about what type of air hole diameter I'd need my atomizer drilled to, do the higher ohm coils perform well with the smaller, native air flow? One last thing too, should I actually try to get my coils not so "tight" or would this just lead to the chance of one of the tighter part of the coils getting hotter than a looser part? I definately would want my coil to be very even in heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread