Mech mods not firing... What is left to troubleshoot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbreach

Jun 19, 2015
ON, Canada
All of a sudden, whenever I fire my Mutation X V2 mechanical mod with an RDA on top nothing happens. I tried doing a voltage drop test on my ohm meter, but I don't get a reading and the button gets really hot!

Here is my troubleshooting process so far:

1. Tested RDA for shorts - none exist and the resistance is at a stable 0.35ohms (as it was when built before this issue came up)

2. Bought another mechanical mod (probably not the smartest move...) - Wotofo SMPL - but the same issue mentioned above occurs

3. Test different batteries - tried using my purple Efest 18650 2500mah and LG HE2 18650 batteries but I still get the same result. Also, both batteries charge properly when put back on the charger. They also get warm during the voltage drop test, but nowhere near as hot as the firing button.

What is there left to troubleshoot?

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
Are these both hybrid tops? The 510 pin of your atty isn't protruding far enough is my guess. If that's the case you're lucky you haven't vented a battery. The 510 pin needs to protrude at least 1mm from the bottom of the atty. If its not adjustable, you either need a different mod for that atty, or different attys for those mods.

pbreach

Jun 19, 2015
ON, Canada
I figured this wasn't the issue due to the button heating from the drop test with the ohm reader (and the issue never came up before). But, actually I think you may be right. The wotofo mod is working extremely well now, but the mutation still seems to be misfiring. Will have to get a multi meter and do some probing to be sure

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

pbreach

Jun 19, 2015
ON, Canada
What are you using to test ohms?
My a few pics might help as well :)
I was using a wotofo ohm reader, but I think the problem was with the connection between the ohm reader and the mod. The mods were screwed all the way in but on the reader the attachment may not have been screwed in all the way causing a short and the battery to get close to venting (I could hear them starting to vent and immediately stopped). Here's a pic of the ohm reader and 510 connection piece.

4b9d3e26330a1f99186ca2846cc8d796.jpg

What are you using to test ohms?
My a few pics might help as well :)

pbreach

Jun 19, 2015
ON, Canada
I was using a wotofo ohm reader, but I think the problem was with the connection between the ohm reader and the mod. The mods were screwed all the way in but on the reader the attachment may not have been screwed in all the way causing a short and the battery to get close to venting (I could hear them starting to vent and immediately stopped). Here's a pic of the ohm reader and 510 connection piece.

4b9d3e26330a1f99186ca2846cc8d796.jpg

When firing the mod normally I think there wasn't proper contact between the atty pin and the mod... Overall the issue was basically lack of attention to connection contact, but everything is working great now [emoji2]

Reactions: Kprthevapr

Kprthevapr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2015
On the River, GA
Is it a spring loaded pin in the top cap? If so, clean it with a q-tip and rubbing alcohol. You may need to adjust the pin. You can do this with a toothpick or one of the lil blue screwdrivers.
Does your mod have a spring or magnets? Sometimes the spring will wear out or get dirty. Check the spring for springiness. You may need a new one :)

pbreach

Jun 19, 2015
ON, Canada
Is it a spring loaded pin in the top cap? If so, clean it with a q-tip and rubbing alcohol. You may need to adjust the pin. You can do this with a toothpick or one of the lil blue screwdrivers.
Does your mod have a spring or magnets? Sometimes the spring will wear out or get dirty. Check the spring for springiness. You may need a new one :)
One spring loaded one magnet. Spring loaded was squeaky clean (I've cleaned it since as well). Pin is making good contact now but could very well have been the issue before. I would test... but don't want to start venting another battery!

pbreach

Jun 19, 2015
ON, Canada

Cloudd

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Thanks! That will definitely be useful in the not so distant future. There are some spots on the button contact that will need polishing.

My best button so far, is the flat-head screwdriver part of a swiss knife, funny enough that it beats brass contacts no prob.

Now waiting for my 4Nine and Derringer clone, about a week more so for now, swissknifemod.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread