Status
Not open for further replies.

curiousJan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2009
Central IL
Tee hee!! :p

I've wanted a Chuck since shortly after my 510 kit arrived in early Dec. I've settled on an image (I hope!), but I need some assistance with all of the choices that I have.

So here are my questions:

I realize that image quality can present a problem ... I'm not sure that the resolution on my chosen image is sufficient. Can anyone help me get an idea of minimum image size and resolution for a big Chuck (and also for a lil Chuck, just in case I change my mind)?

What color/material choices do I have for end caps?

I'm thinking of going with either chrome or black mirror finish with this image ...

chiana_cropped.jpg

What else should I be considering? Help me, Chuckleheads, I wanna be one of you too!!

Jan :oops:

MastiffMike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2009
Dogville Estate
I forgot to add this:
Chiana.jpg

It's the largest size image I found (tho I didn't look for long). It's the original image pre-Photoshop and noticable larger so it might be helpful to start with it. On my version you'll notice I toned down the saturation a lot (especially on the "brooch" and the uniform cording) and added a slight blur to make it more "wispy". Oh, I also threw in some quick abstract color swoops (purple & green) but you can get it done however you'd like.

One of my pet peeves when skining a chuck (or any cylander) is what happens at the seam. I went ahead and did a quick mask to round the corners and to allow for the button area.

I don't own a Chuck so can someone tell me which is prefered, image centered on button side or on the opposite side? I'd think in most cases the side opposite the button so it doesn't interact with the image but maybe not?

Wafflestomper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2010
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
Don't quote me b/c I'm too lazy to google it....
IIRC it was a tv series that had/has a cult following.

Yes, well.. anything that has sexy women clad in studded leather kicking ... is definitely worth a looksee ;D

Probably the reason behind me ordering the Baroness chuck.

RatRacer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2009
S.W. Florida
I don't know what Farscape is. Is that a UK thing, or have I just been in my mancave too long?

Farscape was a series on SciFi on Friday nights. It had to be one of the most creative shows on since Star Trek TNG. But SciFi went and cancelled it for no reason.

Oh, and it was a Aussie thing.

Last edited:

curiousJan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2009
Central IL
Don't quote me b/c I'm too lazy to google it....
IIRC it was a tv series that had/has a cult following.

I'll quote you because you are quite right.

Yes, well.. anything that has sexy women clad in studded leather kicking ... is definitely worth a looksee ;D

Again, quite right. :hubba:

Farscape was a series on SciFi on Friday nights. It had to be one of the most creative shows on since Star Trek TNG. But SciFi went and cancelled it for no reason.

Oh, and it was a Aussie thing.

Yep ... it was a very expensive show to create, what with all the very well done imho costume, makeup and set work, which was why it got cancelled. :(

I forgot to add this:

<...snip image...>

It's the largest size image I found (tho I didn't look for long). It's the original image pre-Photoshop and noticable larger so it might be helpful to start with it. On my version you'll notice I toned down the saturation a lot (especially on the "brooch" and the uniform cording) and added a slight blur to make it more "wispy". Oh, I also threw in some quick abstract color swoops (purple & green) but you can get it done however you'd like.

Thanks so much!! This is a better image than the one I was working with, and I love the copper tones in it. I think I will see if I can get something like what you've done (I love the seam border) leaving those tones ... going with the copper end caps to complete the feel on my Chiana chuck.

Uh oh ... I'm starting to feel that anticipation that you all talk about! :p
Jan

beecee

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Valley of the Sunstroke
I forgot to add this:
Chiana.jpg

One of my pet peeves when skining a chuck (or any cylander) is what happens at the seam. I went ahead and did a quick mask to round the corners and to allow for the button area.

I don't own a Chuck so can someone tell me which is prefered, image centered on button side or on the opposite side? I'd think in most cases the side opposite the button so it doesn't interact with the image but maybe not?

Wow, that's awesome! Great job. Now I'm wondering if the image I gave Jeff was much too small. Oh well, we shall see.

Great work on that image though. Looks much better than the original.

MastiffMike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2009
Dogville Estate
Now I'm wondering if the image I gave Jeff was much too small. Oh well, we shall see.

Well, I've been told (but not from an official source) that the image sizes are 2.8"x3" for Little Chuck and 2.8"x4" for regular Chuck. Even at 72DPI it should look fine (higher DPI would be better and I normally work at 300 DPI b/c while you can shrink it, enlarging can sometimes cause visible issues). All that being said, IMHO, somewhere around 200x300 pixels should be fine for most images. I'd guess if the image you sent was too small (and therefore going to get pixelated) Jeff would've said something.

~Jo~

ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2010
People's Republic of Illinois
Can I jump in with a question about wrap around images?

I've made a deal with my husband that I can buy a Chuck when I've been cigarette free for one week, so I've been playing with images ('cause I'm optimistic that way). With several of the images, it would be easy enough to alter the sides slightly so that the edges would match and blend together where they met, as if the original graphic had been done in the round. Not sure if I'm explaining this right. I already did one, and changed the sides so that they're like pieces of wallpaper meeting up now.

So I guess my questions are: Will Jeff do images that go all the way around like that? and, Where the edges connect, will it look like wallpaper a professional installed, or will it look like the wallpaper I've put up myself? :rolleyes:

MastiffMike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2009
Dogville Estate
I don't know if Jeff can do "seamless" (that's the term you're looking for) and I've never seen a chuck in person so can't answer definatively. However, even if there is a seam, it'll be less noticable it the two sides blend (then the only visibile seam would be the "crack" as opposed to a glaring switch it colors!)

BTW, there are pretty easy ways to make an image seamless that involves offsetting the image halfway to one side so that the side seams are touching then you can clean it up (using the tools of your choice such as blur, stamp, dodge, burn, noise, etc.). If you google PS seamless tutorial you'll find tons of step-by-step instructions.

Just my $.01

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread