Materials for RBA - where to buy? Can I use galvanized steel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

apathyps

Mar 23, 2009
Connecticut
I just started using an IGO-W and building my own coils. I am trying to experiment with micro/nano coils and an ohm meter.

So... galvanized vs. plain steel wire. Does it matter?

If I can use galvanized, I'm all set.

The brick and mortar shops charge an insane amount for these basic supplies. I am looking to buy some 28 gauge wire for coils and some 3mm silica wick. I have found these materials online, but I want to make sure I am buying the correct material. I don't think I want galvanized wire, so if someone can tell me that steel wire is all I need to make sure I am buying, I think I'll be ok. But if anyone has any websites they'd suggest for ordering this stuff from a reputable supplier, I would be more than happy to check them out.

28 Gauge Round Stainless Steel Craft Wire - 120 ft: Wire Jewelry | Wire Wrap Tutorials | Jewelry Making Wire

Galvanized Steel Wire, 28 Gauge 100' (50138) at Aubuchon Hardware

OOK 50138 28 Gauge, 100ft Steel Galvanized Wire - Amazon.com

Galvanized Steel Wire, 28 Gauge 100' (50138) at Aubuchon Hardware

Last edited:

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla

apathyps

Mar 23, 2009
Connecticut
no never use anything but the supplies we use now. the wire we use is specifically used to because it is made to be heated without releasing toxic chemicals and supplies resistance

either here
Resistance Wire
or here
Lightning Vapes - All the RBA Materials you need! Silica Wick, Ekowool, Kanthal Wire, Stainless Steel Mesh and more!

on average we use 28 to 32 gauge 28 for low resistance up to 32 for higher resistance.

Thank you, I ordered a bunch of supplies from that website. Can you give me any tips on the different silica that they offer? I ordered a bit of everything just to try it.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
Thank you, I ordered a bunch of supplies from that website. Can you give me any tips on the different silica that they offer? I ordered a bit of everything just to try it.
except for size none really, but i like their silica nice and clean with a neutral taste.
then there is ekowool which is also silica but just weaved differently, many people like it i didnt really care for it.

Fury83

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 14, 2012
Nowhere
Thank you. Why do you suggest 30 instead of 28?

It's a nice mid point between 28 and 32, it's a bit easier to work with than 28 and if you are doing a single wick, single coil it's going to be less wraps which is easier when starting.

It's not a big deal either way, I just think 30 is a good way to start.

28 is 5.27ohms per foot
30 is 8.36ohms per foot

Dirk0490

Dec 26, 2013
United States
Hi just bought some SS mesh from shop down the road opened it up and 3 out of the 4 i got are creased. If I flatten the out and try to remove creases will they still function properly? If so any ideas how to remove creases? there not expensive but hate to waste the gas driving back when there open. Yes this is my first time trying this lol

JmanEspresso

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jul 15, 2013
    Westchester, NY,USA
    Umm, ME PERSONALLY, and thats just it, my opinion.. Would not be putting dish soap on anything I build coils with.

Also, hitting the mesh with a torch, will clean off anything that might be on there, if thats what worries you. Though, there is something to be said about the non-oxidizing method as well, so..

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread