Massachusetts bill would ban e-cig sales to minors AND ban e-cigarette use wherever smoking is banned

Status
Not open for further replies.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego

Berylanna

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
south Bay Area, California
www.facebook.com
.Big Brother needs to chill and back off....we are not sheep and will not be forced to go someplace that I know is unhealthy with 2nd hand smoke and a place I want no part of...that is crossing the line...since vaping has no proven bad 2nd hand affects, then the government has no right to regulate it in any manner..

I disagree strongly. "No proven bad 2nd hand effects" is NOT a good-enough reason not to regulate vapor in public. There are a lot of things known poisonous that have not been studied for all the edge cases, and should be banned until more is known, given what we know about their ingredients. For those things, protecting those who DO NOT CHOOSE to expose themselves to an as-yet-understood probable or even significantly-possible danger is valid.

HOWEVER, our case is that we DO have proof of NO second-hand effects, which is a completely different story.

In addition, we DO know a lot about the ingredients, so even before that proof was as conclusive as it is now, there was NO indication for danger, therefore no argument that "we need to know more." That is because EVERYTHING in ecigs is already FDA-approved for cooking foods, which means it is already FDA-approved for breathing second-hand. (Note: NOT FIRST-HAND!!!)

We almost lost a supporter in the CA assembly over failing to make that distinction. Legislators DO have to act in conditions of uncertainty. And it is obviously more-difficult to get it right when there is uncertainty. So telling them they have no right in the case of lack of proof of harm is just going to turn them against us, and I think rightfully so.

So let's stop manufacturing uncertainty where there is NONE, by using the reverse argument.

In the case of banning the product for MY use, there IS uncertainty about the safety, but I'm a CONSENTING adult, so there is no need to be preemptive to protect "The Children" or "The innocent" -- IF I'm hurting myself (unlikely but not impossible) I'm not hurting anybody else, and THAT is when lawmakers have no business banning something because of uncertainty -- though I do think in that case they have the right to require labels saying "The safety of this is uncertain" -- as opposed to their usual LIES requiring snus packages to falsely claim the product is know to be unsafe.

Uma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2010
Calif
I disagree strongly. "No proven bad 2nd hand effects" is NOT a good-enough reason not to regulate vapor in public. There are a lot of things known poisonous that have not been studied for all the edge cases, and should be banned until more is known, given what we know about their ingredients. For those things, protecting those who DO NOT CHOOSE to expose themselves to an as-yet-understood probable or even significantly-possible danger is valid.

HOWEVER, our case is that we DO have proof of NO second-hand effects, which is a completely different story.

In addition, we DO know a lot about the ingredients, so even before that proof was as conclusive as it is now, there was NO indication for danger, therefore no argument that "we need to know more." That is because EVERYTHING in ecigs is already FDA-approved for cooking foods, which means it is already FDA-approved for breathing second-hand. (Note: NOT FIRST-HAND!!!)

We almost lost a supporter in the CA assembly over failing to make that distinction. Legislators DO have to act in conditions of uncertainty. And it is obviously more-difficult to get it right when there is uncertainty. So telling them they have no right in the case of lack of proof of harm is just going to turn them against us, and I think rightfully so.

So let's stop manufacturing uncertainty where there is NONE, by using the reverse argument.

In the case of banning the product for MY use, there IS uncertainty about the safety, but I'm a CONSENTING adult, so there is no need to be preemptive to protect "The Children" or "The innocent" -- IF I'm hurting myself (unlikely but not impossible) I'm not hurting anybody else, and THAT is when lawmakers have no business banning something because of uncertainty -- though I do think in that case they have the right to require labels saying "The safety of this is uncertain" -- as opposed to their usual LIES requiring snus packages to falsely claim the product is know to be unsafe.
+1 and bookmarking for inspiration to get tough! Thank you for this.

I am listening to Russ's show right now, about the meeting. How sad only a few showed up, not enough alert time to get people in gear, yet the opposition had a lawyer present for every alphabet soup there is. They tossed insults... Look who showed up for the ecig industry, desperate nic addicts...
Be prepared to ask the "court" if the alphabet Gang disclosed their sponsors, the companies who fund them.

Organizing the troops, yes.

We fight not for ourselves only, but for our loved ones who still smoke. One of these days, it will be a senators granddaughter, or an assemblymans son, an alphabet soup's in law... Who will die from smoking because they banned eCigs.

Berylanna

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
south Bay Area, California
www.facebook.com
+1 and bookmarking for inspiration to get tough! Thank you for this.

I am listening to Russ's show right now, about the meeting. How sad only a few showed up, not enough alert time to get people in gear, yet the opposition had a lawyer present for every alphabet soup there is. They tossed insults... Look who showed up for the ecig industry, desperate nic addicts...
Be prepared to ask the "court" if the alphabet Gang disclosed their sponsors, the companies who fund them.

Organizing the troops, yes.

We fight not for ourselves only, but for our loved ones who still smoke. One of these days, it will be a senators granddaughter, or an assemblymans son, an alphabet soup's in law... Who will die from smoking because they banned eCigs.

the "court" ?

Do you think insulting us might have hurt them or are they getting away with it? Sorry I didn't listen to the show. Is there a link to a replay? (Sorry, I got re-org'd into an area where I need to learn 3 things I know nothing about, FAST, and I'm not keeping up with casaa and ECF and the Whigs and my mother and my grandkids as much as I should.)

Uma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2010
Calif
the "court" ?

Do you think insulting us might have hurt them or are they getting away with it? Sorry I didn't listen to the show. Is there a link to a replay? (Sorry, I got re-org'd into an area where I need to learn 3 things I know nothing about, FAST, and I'm not keeping up with casaa and ECF and the Whigs and my mother and my grandkids as much as I should.)
The townhall senators lawmaking busybodies that think of themselves as a court, a judge and jury, of the rights of others.
Yes, they got away with insulting...

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/vp-live/202593-tonight-click-bang-gotonew.html

szot

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
ALL the state reps and the state House Board of Public health committee who is reviewing this legislation didn't even have the courtesy to reply or even acknowledge receipt of my email and letters, stating my opposition to this legislation...

Guess I'll have to repay them all, and forget to vote for all of them come next election time..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread