Manual Switch 901

Status
Not open for further replies.

slianfoxob

ECF Veteran
Dec 2, 2008
Bethlehem, PA
Okay, I know the obvious answer would be the SD but I'm not made of money. Don't get me wrong, Trog's design is beautiful and I've heard the craftsmanship is superb but I just can't fork over that kinda cash.

Besides, it's not really the battery power I'm after...

I have yet to use a manual switch but it's been recommended. I very much like the look of the Kissbox classic but I've been told many times it's best for dripping and I'm no dripper....me likes me carts.

I suppose I could try a penstyle but even then some say they're better for dripping and also they don't deliver flavor like a 901.

With the addition of USB batts, battery duration isn't really a concern for me anymore so even without trying a penstyle or any other model I would love to see a manual switch, much like the Kissbox classic's (switch between battery and atomizer), for the 901.

Here's to dreaming....or maybe I'm just blind and haven't seen what I'm looking for....

Foxy

parked

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Before you invest too heavy in manual switch I would recomment you to try it first on something cheaper. I for one do not like it at all. It sort of destroys the smoking pleasure by the necessity to remember to press a switch every time you want a drag.

Some people like switches and some people don't. I for one use a janty KB all the time and a screwdriver both with manual buttons it doesn't bother me.

slianfoxob

ECF Veteran
Dec 2, 2008
Bethlehem, PA
While I don't think I'll be a big fan of pressing a button I believe I'll like draw better. When I smoked analogs, I always took quick drags and that's not easy to do with an ecig. A few members have told me that having the manual switch makes it a little easier because you don't have to wait for the atomizer to warm up. We'll see...

Parked - are you putting together a whole new cig or just making a switch for the 901? All I really want is a switch for my precious little 901. heh

Oh and Frankie, no hard feelings, but I'm a dude. haha

Foxy

Jammi98

ECF Veteran
Dec 9, 2008
Houston, TX
I've invested in both a 901 and a Kissbox classic so far. I must say I prefer the Kissbox just because of the manual switch, for the reasons you have heard. It really is more like normally inhaling a cigarette. If it wasn't for the Kissbox's major drawback (not performing too well with carts) I would never use the 901, but I get tired of dripping after a while and also its a lot easier to use in the car.

So I would second the request for a 901 manual switch.

Taelon

ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2008
DE-Germany
I can see no reason to replace intelligent microprocessor heater control by "manual stupidism".

1 manufacturer providing such nonsense with even more stupid marketing brand names which could lead to poisonous vapour and results in many uncontrollable system reliability and quality issues is far enough IMHO. Crap design.

The right way is to advance development of the automatic µC heater control.

I hope the other engineers here will second that.

Last edited:

slianfoxob

ECF Veteran
Dec 2, 2008
Bethlehem, PA
I can see no reason to replace intelligent microprocessor heater control by "manual stupidism".

1 manufacturer providing such nonsense with even more stupid marketing names which could lead to poisonous vapour is far enough IMHO.

Taelon -

Can you explain a little bit exactly what your talking about. I think that may have went a little over my head.

Are you saying the manual switches pose a danger because the user may overheat the atomizer therefore creating toxic fumes from the burning plastic or wick?

Please clear this up. I'm a little confused.

Foxy

slianfoxob

ECF Veteran
Dec 2, 2008
Bethlehem, PA
well, i think the idea here with any of these ecigs is the hope that user will use it responsibly. most of those users with manual switch ecigs, that I've heard from, have been pretty apt to tell others to only use the switch for the first second or two to "pre-heat" the atomizer if you will.

in all honesty, even automatic switches can be unreliable and unsafe due to faulty batteries or other mishaps.

also, most of the manufacturer's of the manual switch ecigs give pretty clear instructions on use, so I don't think they're being irresponsible or posing a danger to their customers.

i appreciate your concern though and thanks for sharing your insight.

also, i prefer to post full quotes often because i find it is easier for others to not have to search for the original full post. i'll try to cut back though...my apologies.

Foxy

Taelon

ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2008
DE-Germany
well, i think the idea here with any of these ecigs is the hope that user will use it responsibly.
also, most of the manufacturer's of the manual switch ecigs give pretty clear instructions on use

in all honesty, even automatic switches can be unreliable and unsafe due to faulty batteries or other mishaps.

-Insufficent and unrealistic, see the need for law-enforced non-smokers areas. So much for "responsibility" and "instructions" from tobacco industry and smokers for ~100 years.

-Redundancy is cheap in china's production times. I've already stated I want development advances and automatic designs are better quality management maintainable due to eliminating the risky human factor in the control loop manual switch designs cannot.

Last edited:

slianfoxob

ECF Veteran
Dec 2, 2008
Bethlehem, PA
-Insufficent and unrealistic, see the need for law-enforced non-smokers areas. So much for "responsibility" and "instructions" from tobacco industry and smokers for ~100 years.

okay. true. lol. i guess i like to live in this world where at least I follow "the rules" and people i respect do as well. i think those that push the limits deserve what they get but i can see how some might not take so kindly to that.

-Redundancy is cheap in china's production times. I've already stated I want development advances and automatic designs are better quality management maintainable due to eliminating the risky human factor in the control loop manual switch designs cannot.

i see that you're an engineer so you obviously know what you're talking about. i haven't a clue. heh. if automatic designs are the direction to go, do you believe that there will eventually be a way to speed up the heating process of the atomizer? my man reason for wanting a manual switch was for the quicker draw that still achieves good vapor. I'm not a big fan of sucking on these things till my jaw aches.

Foxy

Last edited:

parked

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Before you invest too heavy in manual switch I would recomment you to try it first on something cheaper. I for one do not like it at all. It sort of destroys the smoking pleasure by the necessity to remember to press a switch every time you want a drag.

1 manufacturer providing such nonsense with even more stupid marketing brand names which could lead to poisonous vapour and results in many uncontrollable system reliability and quality issues is far enough IMHO. Crap design.

Do what ? Makes no sense please explain

Jammi98

ECF Veteran
Dec 9, 2008
Houston, TX
Hmm, well I suppose if I was dumb enough to hold in the switch for five minutes I would get some poisonous vapor and burn out my atomizer. On the other hand, I've seen several people on here have problems with the auto switch sticking on with the same effect.

Advantages of a manual switch:
The draw is more like smoking a cigarette
Accidentally overfilling a cart or "over-dripping" does not ruin the battery
No "cleaning" cycle

Disadvantages of a manual switch:
You have to remember to use it
You have to be more careful when carrying the e-cig that it doesn't get pressed by accident

Saying a certain design is "nonsense" and "stupid marketing" is like saying the Xbox is stupid compared to the Wii. People are different and have different preferences. One product does NOT suit everyone and that's a good thing IMO.

Personally, I like the idea of the switch being a separate part from the battery, whether the switch is manual or auto. Let's face it, these devices are NOT ready for prime time yet - too much fiddling around no matter what the design is - and I applaud those manufacturers who have been willing to "think outside the box" and who continue to do so, therefore advancing the product.

Last edited:

Taelon

ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2008
DE-Germany
if automatic designs are the direction to go, do you believe that there will eventually be a way to speed up the heating process of the atomizer?

With modern PTC heater elements if not already in.
But heating up the liquid too fast may lead to pyrolytic or other (catalytic) process with bad output, a controlled liquid vapourizing system must respect the liquid's thermal parameters.

Last edited:

Taelon

ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2008
DE-Germany
Hmm, well I suppose if I was dumb enough to hold in the switch for five minutes I would get some poisonous vapor and burn out my atomizer.

Saying a certain design is "nonsense" and "stupid marketing" is like saying the Xbox is stupid compared to the Wii.

Let's face it, these devices are NOT ready for prime time yet - too much fiddling around no matter what the design is - and I applaud those manufacturers who have been willing to "think outside the box" and who continue to do so, therefore advancing the product.

-Ask chemics engineers here about possible non-pyrolytic uncontrolled heat introduced processes. 8-o

-Both products are stupid indeed and make people stupid (scientfic studies prove that) :D

-Then they should start better user documentation to stop people from inventing dangerous tricks in forums ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread