RDA Mako Shorty Write Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

nkr501

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2011
New Jersey, USA
Ok. So I just got my Mako Shorty in the mail today, and I just wanted to give a quick write up on it about what I like and dislike.
This rda has a slightly smaller body than the Deringer, with pretty huge cyclops air holes in the sides unlike the Deringer which has the tiny dot holes. So the air flow is incredible for such a small guy. The only problem I've had with this is the fact that with the bigger holes on a small RDA is the fact that you are more prone to leaking.

The deck is basically the same as the Deringer except the center post is 24k gold plated, and the post holes are pretty massive. You can fit some seriously thick coils inside of this if you want to. The screws are flat head screws, and it doesn't come with a screw driver so you are kind of SOL if you don't have a tiny flat head. IMO they are harder to work with than allen keys or phillips, but they do recess into the post holes a little so they probably won't move much if at all. They are tight and smooth.

You get two top caps. One standard with a shorty 510 drip tip, and you get a chuff cap made of PEEK. Both caps are a tight fit. I had to lube them up with juice to get them to fit in there, and once they are in they are snug. Its actually kind of hard to adjust the air flow which I don't really like too much. I feel like they could have left just a wee bit of play.

Vapor production on this small RDA is amazing. You get tons of air and flavor with the standard top, and with the chuff you get even more vapor with the obvious sacrifice of some flavor. Flavor is still there, just not as pronounced.

All in all for a $40 USA made authentic, this tiny RDA is great. There really isn't anything that I can really complain about with it that would make me not buy it. Its only the first day, so I'm sure everything will break in and work nicely.

Pros (so far)
Amazing airflow for such a small dripper
Small form factor, it almost gives it a stealthy look (black is also available)
Great flavor with both top caps

Cons (so far)
Leaks a little due to size and air hole placement (should be expected)
Both top caps fit extremely tight into the mid section, its super hard to get them seated all the way
Flat head screws which make it a little harder, for me at least, to fiddle.

(edit)First pic has the Deringer (without drip tip) on the left Mako Shorty on the shorty. Second pic is the Shorty with the chuff cap.
IMG_20151009_172358655.jpg
IMG_20151009_184630705.jpg

Last edited:

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
Great review and pretty much spot on to what I have experienced with mine. Just a suggestion on the top cap being as tight as it is, you can take one of the o-rings off and it is much easier to remove. It will still be on there pretty snug and won't come off if you are taking your device out of your pocket by the atty...

nkr501

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2011
New Jersey, USA
Great review and pretty much spot on to what I have experienced with mine. Just a suggestion on the top cap being as tight as it is, you can take one of the o-rings off and it is much easier to remove. It will still be on there pretty snug and won't come off if you are taking your device out of your pocket by the atty...
I tried to take out the o ring, but I only have one. When I take the one off its too lose. I wonder if I can dremel the slot for the o ring or maybe find some thinner ones, even though these are already pretty thin.

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
I tried to take out the o ring, but I only have one. When I take the one off its too lose. I wonder if I can dremel the slot for the o ring or maybe find some thinner ones, even though these are already pretty thin.
So you only have one o-ring on it now or it only came with one o-ring? Mine had 2... I can still pick up my device by the atty with just one o-ring on it. I think the o-rings on mine were like 1.5mm thick so you might try one thats 1mm thick.

nkr501

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2011
New Jersey, USA
So you only have one o-ring on it now or it only came with one o-ring? Mine had 2... I can still pick up my device by the atty with just one o-ring on it. I think the o-rings on mine were like 1.5mm thick so you might try one thats 1mm thick.
I'll take them to Home depot to size them up with others to get the diameter since I don't have a tool to measure them. I'll order some form kidney puncher after I get a good size.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread