Making the Smoktech Vivi Tank into a Genesis Tank Tutorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Infinite

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 3, 2012
SF Bay Area, Sacramento CA
I have been playing around with my Vivi Tank and SS mesh 325. Thanks for the long informative video, super helpful. I am getting extreme dry hits. Do you think it is because of the SS mesh 325 that I am using? Does #400 wick better? Other than that, the mod is is great and I see the potential.

Don't want to be entered in contest as I already have one, super curious about getting it to perform the way yours does tho.

Thanks

Infinite

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 3, 2012
*** UPDATE***

Thanks for the help JunkyRock13! I appreciate the offer to help me out personally, but as thesae kind of things go,- Just when you are about to give up or in this case seek help... things click and it starts working! I re-watched your vid once more and torched the hell out of my mesh, wrapped 3 coils around it and my ViviGeni ROCKS! Looks like I will be taking my new Tank to work tomorrow instead of my Phoenix RA.

Thanks again for the super informative video. Yeah, others have posted pics, thousands (it seems) have talked about it... your video actually took me into the "working" territory!

Big Ups!

jralabate

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 10, 2012
Nampa, Idaho
www.about.me
so i did a NEW mod on mine. I took out the + post top and bottom and replaced it with a small nail(like a Genesis Line). put a air hole in the side of the tank. Drilled out the wick holes. I dont have any SS mesh but If i can find some it will be sweet. It vapes like crazy tho.

IMG_20120907_132918.jpg

Yep. Modded my VT after tasting it "out-of-the-box", (sure I cleaned it first - it was terrible).

I used a cheap cordless drill and convenient drill to open-up the wick hole, soldered the standpipe (you call it the post) closed, heated a pin and punched thru the sidewall. Works like a champ, now on 400 mesh. Last coil I whipped up was about 2.5ohm, and the Puck I built the week before loves it.

Got ticked at my Vivi Nova a couple days back, too - my rewicked coil shorted, and all I had was their stupid "short wick" thing.. Two days of that and I was gagging. Trying to rewire my cotton, I failed 3 times to replace it. So, I grabbed my backup SS wick, honked it into a 'U', whipped a few loops around the center and voila! A semi-genesis! I can't tip it on its side anymore, but once again: the Nova tastes great - slightly better than my VT-mod.

I had all this documented on a google "sites" page, but it seems doing so violated their "terms of use".. Naturally, I was going to backup all the text and such today. Oh, well..

Oh, in case some of you were unaware: the Nova/Vision-Version-2 heads all seem to now include a stupid woven sleeve of what appears to be fiberglass inside. Not bad enough to heat/burn the silicon/rubber gaskets with nichrome - nooo, they gotta' add a burning sleeve of fiberglass. Yuck.

I did see McMaster-Carr (I think I spelled it properly) actually sells a woven tube of ceramic for that sorta' use.

Infinite

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 3, 2012
so i did a NEW mod on mine. I took out the + post top and bottom and replaced it with a small nail(like a Genesis Line). put a air hole in the side of the tank. Drilled out the wick holes. I dont have any SS mesh but If i can find some it will be sweet. It vapes like crazy tho.

IMG_20120907_132918.jpg

This makes me wanna re-tackle this beast.I too was wondering if this was possible. Thanks for showing that it is. Do you have any more pics? A side shot without the tube would be fantastic.

Thanks for sharing!

jralabate

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 10, 2012
Nampa, Idaho
www.about.me
This makes me wanna re-tackle this beast.I too was wondering if this was possible. Thanks for showing that it is. Do you have any more pics? A side shot without the tube would be fantastic.

Thanks for sharing!

I will post some tomorrow

Sent from my NS4G powered by AOKP ICS

bzmotoninja83

ECF Live Chat Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2012
Hopewell, Va
I tried my hands at a genesis styling on my VT. Got some as mesh in a trade deal, the vt was already drilled and the tank had a hole popped in it. I wrapped too much coil and it doesn't get super hot. Its OK tho because my last wick I made out of carto filler, wicked OK. I tried it to try it. I have one with the regular setup too but its only good for about 2 puffs before I gotta tip it and let it re wick. Almost better off dripping on the stock wick/coil

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Xparent SkyBlue Tapatalk 2

Quick question -- do these guys leak if you turn them upside down? My PV is generally dangling around my pokets, and I'm spoiled by vivi nova that seems to not leak in any position :)

The Vivi Tank? No. Even with my SS genesis-mod and the hole I punched, it flat-out doesn't leak at any angle - including inverted.

JunkyRock13

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2012
Upstate New York United States
Commie, Any genesis style atomizer tank will leak through the wick or the fill hole. The modded Vivi tank that I made, will leak through the air hole in the tube if you lay it on it's side. The reason why ALL genesis atomizers leak is because of the SS wick and or the fill hole. Some devices do not have an open fill hole, but when any genesis atty is inverted the juice will come out though the wick. In my opinion if you genesis atty does not leak when inverted some juice, then there may be an issue with the set-up. This does not mean that the seals on the tank are bad, or they are bad devices, it is just the design of a genesis atty. I own several genesis atty and genesis hybrids, and all of them will leak juice if laid on its side or inverted as you asked. That being said, I still wouldn't trade any of my genesis devices to go back to just using cartos or carto tank on a regular basis.

Commie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2012
Michigan
Commie, Any genesis style atomizer tank will leak through the wick or the fill hole. The modded Vivi tank that I made, will leak through the air hole in the tube if you lay it on it's side. The reason why ALL genesis atomizers leak is because of the SS wick and or the fill hole. Some devices do not have an open fill hole, but when any genesis atty is inverted the juice will come out though the wick. In my opinion if you genesis atty does not leak when inverted some juice, then there may be an issue with the set-up. This does not mean that the seals on the tank are bad, or they are bad devices, it is just the design of a genesis atty. I own several genesis atty and genesis hybrids, and all of them will leak juice if laid on its side or inverted as you asked. That being said, I still wouldn't trade any of my genesis devices to go back to just using cartos or carto tank on a regular basis.

Aah, bummer :( The way I carry my PVs, leaking is generally a deal breaker for me.

I assume that even if I don't convert it to genesis style, but just enlarge the holes for bigger (cotton) wick and recoil it myself, it is still likely to leak out of the wick holes?

If so, I may have to stay with my vivi novas. It still beats the pants off cartos and carto tanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread