Magsafe Battery and PCC

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhemps

ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2009
Carlisle, PA
Hi all...haven't posted for a few days but i just had a brainstorm.
For those who have used a newer macbook, you'll be familiar with the magsafe power connector they use. It holds on pretty good, but can still be removed from the macbook with relative ease. I would love to see this incorporated into a battery/PCC. This would eliminate problems with springs/screws in PCCs and would still hold on well to the atty. This would make taking apart/putting together your PV easier as well. I would think this would only work with manual switch batteries as the magnet woudl interfere with the switch on an auto battery. Any thoughts? Would this mess with an atty? How about a coupler that you can retrofit on an existing PV model (threaded chunks of metal with magnet and power connectors)

I'll post pictures my crappy drawings in paint later. :D

warp1900

ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2009
TX
Hi all...haven't posted for a few days but i just had a brainstorm.
For those who have used a newer macbook, you'll be familiar with the magsafe power connector they use. It holds on pretty good, but can still be removed from the macbook with relative ease. I would love to see this incorporated into a battery/PCC. This would eliminate problems with springs/screws in PCCs and would still hold on well to the atty. This would make taking apart/putting together your PV easier as well. I would think this would only work with manual switch batteries as the magnet woudl interfere with the switch on an auto battery. Any thoughts? Would this mess with an atty? How about a coupler that you can retrofit on an existing PV model (threaded chunks of metal with magnet and power connectors)

I'll post pictures my crappy drawings in paint later. :D

Do you mean this connector?

Class action lawsuit targets faulty Apple MagSafe power adapter

--

jhemps

ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2009
Carlisle, PA
Well...if by that you mean you're afraid the design would cause it to burn up...i'm pretty sure that's happening because you can practically bend the cable 180 degress right where it meets the plug, causing wear and tear (eventually literally) on the cable. Considering my design would be a rigid metal cylinder rather than a cable, I don't see that as being a problem. Since this doesn't seem to be too hot a topic, i'm not going to post my drawing unless someone's interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread