Madvapes is admitting to being hacked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MitchMcNasty

Aug 16, 2011
North Carolina
Where can I get Top Vapor eliquid other than madvapes?

You can't. It's their brand. Unless you're in NC, you'd have to order it online. Use a vanilla visa that you preload for online shopping. Or one of those AMEX BlueBird accounts if you're having issues.

For all of my online shopping, I now use prepaids. My debit card and credit card both have been stolen too many times. Simply put, it could be anywhere from a key logger on your computer, to a breach in the website, bank, anywhere. There are too many places where things can go wrong to blame a single vendor.

Frankly, this is getting out of control. If your neighbor were vigilant enough, he/she could steal your credit card info through your wifi when you make a transaction. If someone wants it that bad, they can get it. There's simply no way around that, except use cash for everything. My credit card info is in at least 3 places right now. Xbox live, iTunes, and netflix. All it would take is a simple breach...

Artifex75

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2013
Chillicothe Oh
I know that it's not their fault, really. It happens to the best of them. The only thing that bothered me is that I contacted them and was told by the representative that there had been no security breech. I'm an adult, I can handle the truth. (Cue Jack Nicholson impression)

I agree with you about the preloaded cc, that's what I'll be doing from now on. They've got me hooked on Sweet Carolina eliquid, so I'll probably go back eventually.

liblue1

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Well I haven't read the whole thread but I wanted to put my 2 cents worth in here....
I was also hacked twice after an order from MV...
The first time was in May, but with all of the other orders I had placed at that time I was not sure it was them. Especially since I had been ordering from them monthly for over a year and never had any trouble. Then it happened again in August......I was "testing" and watching all of the places I did order from and within 3 day it was hacked again...this time it was domestic charges....The first time it was overseas.....So since then I have a dedicated account to add funds to for online purchases...I still am cautious with it, but if anything happens to it...It won't be so bad....
The worst part of this is not having a CC to my usual bank account for 2 weeks while they order a new card...very inconvenient. The bank had no problem replacing the funds... within 3 days it was back in there.....
I contacted MV help desk the 2nd time it happened (it was the only order I place that week)... and this is what they told me...

"We ran a security scan on our systems and found no errors or vulnerabilities, our server is backed by Trust Guard.
We take system security very seriously and occasionally there are coincidences of ordering from us and other charges but we do not feel that it is a problem with our systems. But regardless, each warrants a scan to see if anything is up.
I'd like to assure you that we do not have access to or store any card data. Data is submitted securely during your online transaction via the online gateway and then the data is destroyed.
Again, thanks for the notice and we'll keep an eye on things here."

So I have ordered(with another CC) since this happened and no problems(as of yet)....
I am still going to be cautious online and yes more so with them....and yes keeping my fingers crossed helps.....
I know it is not their fault, --it happens....even to the best of them....
I do think it's interesting I never got the email you guys did....about the hacking....even though I was a victim...
So my advice to you all is to do everything you can to protect yourself as best you can. I am thankful I have found a way that works for me...I hope you all do as well

Ouch1234

Sep 30, 2011
Oklahoma
I'm a little concerned too.. I placed an order with Madvapes last week, and I was looking at my statement this morning, and someone had did two transaction at Lowe's in NC with my credit card # . I'm in Oklahoma by the way.. I'm hoping it just a coincidence it was a charge in NC, but Madvapes is the only one that I've given my 3 digit security code to on the back of my card. The person that hacked Madvapes may very well of gotten my info back when they got hacked, and is just now using it, hoping I wouldn't catch it during the heavy spending holiday season. There were two purchases of 106.99 on two separate days.

BanjoMan

Pickin' Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 9, 2009
Greensboro, NC
I hesitate to place blame on anyone, but I'm finding it a little suspicious that 3 days after ordering from MV I find a pending approved charge on my card for .10 from someone I've never heard of. Looked like a test charge to see if the card was good, so I called the bank this morning and froze the account out of caution. My only other recent use of that card was on amazon.com. I've placed multiple orders with MV over the years and never had any trouble, but something about this doesn't smell right.

I hope MV is watching this thread and staying in touch with their processor in case a pattern develops.

Update: Checked my online banking tonight and someone tried to use the card at walmart.com for $210.00. The charge was declined.

Last edited:

Jay-dub

Moved On
Oct 10, 2013
Kansas City, MO
Just an FYI for e-security: Use a password manager and better yet a random password generator. There are many open-source (free unless you donate) programs out there. I use keePassX because it has a password generator with a lot of options. The set-up is kind of tedious but once you get it going signing onto a site is a simple crtl+V or whatever command you capture to use. Anyway, a password generator/manager coupled with virtual credit cards ought to help you feel more confident online.

http://www.keepassx.org/

Last edited:

jkfifth

Nov 3, 2010
South Jersey
I hesitate to place blame on anyone, but I'm finding it a little suspicious that 3 days after ordering from MV I find a pending approved charge on my card for .10 from someone I've never heard of. Looked like a test charge to see if the card was good, so I called the bank this morning and froze the account out of caution. My only other recent use of that card was on amazon.com. I've placed multiple orders with MV over the years and never had any trouble, but something about this doesn't smell right.

I hope MV is watching this thread and staying in touch with their processor in case a pattern develops.

Update: Checked my online banking tonight and someone tried to use the card at walmart.com for $210.00. The charge was declined.

Almost the exact same situation here, a .10 charge, then two charges of $180 at Walmart.com pending in my checking account. My only recent charges were Madvapes and Johnson Creek.

hoogie76

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 1, 2009
Charlotte, NC
Hi Folks, just want to let you know that we are ALWAYS looking into cc fraud since the last time we got hacked :( and will continue to monitor. At the moment however, we see nothing out of the ordinary and talked to our processor to see if there was any increase in reported activity and nada.. We'll always continue to keep a close eye on this..

hoog

jrjacobs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2009
SoCal
Sorry to break it to you, but I have only used this card to order from your website - nowhere else. So either your site was hacked again, or you have an employee or administrator stealing credit card information. Either way, I cannot order from you anymore until this is fixed and you truly have a secure site. As of now, you do not. Again, I am a customer of over four years with you, and I order for two people monthly. You lost me unless you fix this.

Hi Folks, just want to let you know that we are ALWAYS looking into cc fraud since the last time we got hacked :( and will continue to monitor. At the moment however, we see nothing out of the ordinary and talked to our processor to see if there was any increase in reported activity and nada.. We'll always continue to keep a close eye on this..

hoog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread