Madvapes 5v box mod question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalton63841

Moved On
Feb 14, 2011
Maine
so after charging my batteries it seems to keep vaping as i drag on my dual coil carto, but after a few seconds (with any atty/carto) the led is red when i fire it right up then after a few seconds it turns green? is this normal?

I could be wrong but that sounds like a simple slow color change LED to me, which would be completely normal.

tsbrewers

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2010
MN
www.facebook.com
That is all normal, mine acts the same way. You really should stay around 3.0ohms with it, if you use LR atties/carts it is pumping a LOT of juice through them and is not good for the atty or PV.

When I added the cap, it stabilized it a little, and I don't get the green light so quickly on LR atties. But, like I said, I don't think it is a good idea to use LR atties anyway.

Brew

oldblue

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2011
Missouri
I tried building one of these last night. I followed these instructionshttp://www.madvapes.com/How-to-Build-a-5-Volt-510-Box-Mod_b_8.html. My problem is that when I turn the switch on it heats the atty. The horn button doesn't break the circuit. Also in those instructions it labels the blue resistor as 470k but I got 470m on it and 470k on the tan LED resistor. Any ideas/suggestions?

bstedh

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2011
Northern Minnesota
www.clear.com
I tried building one of these last night. I followed these instructionshttp://www.madvapes.com/How-to-Build-a-5-Volt-510-Box-Mod_b_8.html. My problem is that when I turn the switch on it heats the atty. The horn button doesn't break the circuit. Also in those instructions it labels the blue resistor as 470k but I got 470m on it and 470k on the tan LED resistor. Any ideas/suggestions?
Pictures always help.
470M is way too big. you should have 470K for the regulator and 470 for the LED. Do you have a MM to verify their values? Also post the labeling on the regulator so we can look up the data sheet to see what it needs.

Double check for shorts as that is the most common problem and check to make sure you didn't melt the insides of the switch when soldering so that it is always on...

JohnKing

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 28, 2010
FL
hey all, I decided to give a DIY mod a try. I am built the madvapes 5v box mod and have a few questions.

I got it all together and here is what happens. I am using a dual coil carto, two ultrafire batteries, when i hit the button, it works and the LED is Red. After about 3 seconds, the LED turns Green, then about a second later, the mod shuts off?

I am assuming it is a battery cutoff, but it seems odd it only makes it a couple seconds with fully charged batteries? Also, I do not have a cap installed that is shown in the instructions here, MadVapes e-Cig 'How To' Tutorials • View topic - My 3xAA 5v Box Mod since it didn't come with the kit. How big of a difference does this make? Thanks for any help,

Brew

I had the exact same thing happen, 2-3 second cutoff (DC's). I swapped out the batteries to a fresh/new pair and it works fine.

MV promised a few months back for an accurate howto but still hasn't posted one. Not cool if you're selling a kit IMO.

Last edited:

oldblue

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2011
Missouri
Pictures always help.
470M is way too big. you should have 470K for the regulator and 470 for the LED. Do you have a MM to verify their values? Also post the labeling on the regulator so we can look up the data sheet to see what it needs.

Double check for shorts as that is the most common problem and check to make sure you didn't melt the insides of the switch when soldering so that it is always on...

I bought it as a kit from madvapes. The link I posted has the pics and mine is wired as it details. The blue resistor(regulator) that they state as 470k is 470M. I verified with my mm. I checked the horn switch and it's fine. The 470 they provide for the led is actually 470k. So, if you follow their instructions, you end up with a 470m on your regulator and a 470k on your led. I can't find any shorts. I'll just head to the store and scrap my board.

Snakedocc

ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2011
Wisconsin
Just got a 5v kit also and mine has a 470m resistor also. I didnt bother trying it when I saw it didnt match the directions.

I will check radio shack for a 470k resistor.

Regulator is a 378R05

Edit .... I messed up reading my meter .470m damn decimal points lol

Now vaping at 5v
011.jpg

Last edited:

bstedh

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2011
Northern Minnesota
www.clear.com
I bought it as a kit from madvapes. The link I posted has the pics and mine is wired as it details. The blue resistor(regulator) that they state as 470k is 470M. I verified with my mm. I checked the horn switch and it's fine. The 470 they provide for the led is actually 470k. So, if you follow their instructions, you end up with a 470m on your regulator and a 470k on your led. I can't find any shorts. I'll just head to the store and scrap my board.

Use the 470k for the regulator and forgo the led untill MV fixes your order

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread