Madison, Wisconsin - Public Hearing 11/18/14 re ban on e-cig use in parks and beaches

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustJulie

CASAA
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2009
Des Moines, IA
Heads up, MADISON, WISCONSIN.

Public hearing TONIGHT (11/18/14)

Amending Sections 23.05(1) and (4)(d) and creating Section 23.05(2)(a)7. of the Madison General Ordinances to define and prohibit use of an electronic delivery device and to prohibit smoking in City beaches and parks where posted

11/18/2014 - Introduction at 6:30pm CST

Link to Agenda (item 88): http://www.cityofmadison.com/clerk/documents/Agenda.pdf

Supporting Documentation: http://www.cityofmadison.com/clerk/documents/Packet_004.pdf

(
CASAA is unable to issue full Local Alerts--way too many of them and there simply isn't the time or manpower to gather contact information, etc., especially on a short timeframe. However, for a while, we're going to take the barebones information that crosses our desk and post it on the official CASAA Facebook page when possible and here on ECF, and then look to members to share in appropriate groups/forums.)

Placebo Effect

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2008
This will would ban e-cigarette use wherever "smoking" is banned AND ban "smoking" in parks and beaches.

Additionally, it would ban vaping in vape shops, as Madison grandfathered in existing cigars bars / retail tobacco stores to their 2009 ordinance, but no such exemptions are being offered in the bill for vape shops.

Tonight is just the introduction. I expect some shop owners will be attending.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
IMPORTANT:

The ordinance was referred to both the Parks Commmissioners AND the Madison-Dane County Board of Health.

The ordinance IS on the Parks Commissioners agenda for December 10th and public comments are strongly encouraged. Please see the Call to Action for talking points and contact information. If you cannot attend the meeting, please be sure to call and/or email both the Commissioners and BOH members!

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
URGENT MADISON UPDATE - BOARD OF HEALTH MEETING IS NOW TOMORROW!!!

The Madison-Dane County Board of Health meeting has been PUSHED UP to December 11, 2014 (TOMORROW!) at 5:30 PM at Madison Water Utility 119 E. Olin Ave., Conf. Rm. A and B.

The agenda has been posted here: Board of Health Meeting Agenda and e-cigarettes are agenda item #9, but public comment period is near the beginning of the meeting. The meeting is open to the public, however the Board requests commentrs be limited to 5 minutes each.

NOTE: There is no doubt in my mind that this was quietly pushed up from the December 17th to intentionally make it difficult for vaping advocates to make a good showing. If you couldn't make it tonight, please go to this meeting tomorrow! If you went tonight and can make it tomorrow, please do so. If someone can print out the WSAC booklet and get it delivered to the BOH members (see Call to Action link below) sometime early in the day tomorrow, that would be very helpful!

CASAA: Call to Action! Madison Wisconsin E-cigarette Use Ban

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
this just bolsters what i have been thinking.
it took Minneapolis about a month from announcement
to passage of their ban.
i think we are seeing a change in tactics. anyway these things
can,will be fast tracked to avoid as much scrutiny as possible.
one sure sign.
if your local media outlets that once touted every e-cig related
story no matter how trivial suddenly become silent something
is a foot.
:2c:
regards
mike
addendum:http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...e-rare-non-smokers-survey-10-dec-2014-uk.html
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...eat-new-study-penn-state-school-medicine.html
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...s-less-addictive-than-regular-cigarettes.html

i think these posts are part of the reason the ANTZ may be stepping up their game plan.
i could be wrong but,my spidey ears are tingling.
mike

Last edited:

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
From what I understand, the bill to ban vaping where smoking is prohibited passed in Madison. I know Kristin knows this.

It is very disappointing as a Wisconsinite but also not horrible. Madison is about as blue as it gets in our purple state and had it gone the other way, it would've meant Madison was possibly turning over to a more sane vision of politics. So, really, just par for the course for Madison.

As one who enjoys vaping everywhere with respect, I fully intend on vaping in Madison specifically in places where you are not allowed to. Though admittedly, I'm currently closer to exercising a personal boycott on Madison right now as I find them that backwards in their politics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread