Not open for further replies.

Leothwyn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2011
N. California
www.ci-studios.com
So, I'm new to this, and started out with my 510 mega not too long ago. I tried a few cart mods, then just settled on dripping. Then I thought I'd give the tank thing a try. So I picked up a 510 T LR atomizer (1.7 ohm), and I love it. The hits seem better, and there's less messing around with refilling my cart. It's been about a week, and so far I've had no problems. But, I just read something about LR atomizers being bad for smaller batteries like mine. Am I going to kill my battery? Am I left with the choice of either going back to my standard atomizers, or getting one of those big batteries that make me look like I'm playing a kazoo?

gernsey

Apr 16, 2009
Earth, Milky Way
The problem with the low resistance Atty or Cartos is that low of an Ohm rating will draw power more quickly from the battery, basically your increasing the AMP (current draw) on the battery. As well as depleting the charge faster.

I'm not familiar with your ECig or the Amp rating of it's battery but according to Ohms law
3.7v @ 1.7Ohms = 2.17 Amps

If you where running a 2.0 Ohm atty
3.7V @ 2.0 Ohms = 1.85 Amps.

So long as your voltage remains constant, increasing resistance = less current draw.

Probably the best way to know if you're OK is to find the Amp rating for your battery.

Last edited:

Leothwyn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2011
N. California
www.ci-studios.com
Thank you for the reply. I generally don't think of myself as being especially dumb... but when it comes to this stuff...

So if my battery is 280mAH, does that mean 2.8 Amps?
Then based on what you said "3.7v @ 1.7Ohms = 2.17 Amps", I'm alright?

I understand that I'll drain the charge on my battery faster using the LR atty, and I'm fine with that. I was just concerned that I might fry my battery, or shorten its life drastically.

I'm sort of thinking that I might want to get something with a bigger battery, like a Riva 510, if I want to continue using this LR tank atty (which I do).

gernsey

Apr 16, 2009
Earth, Milky Way
mA is MilliAmps. So 280mAh would be .28A

I would be wary of that.

Overdrawing in a worse case scenario cause overheating, and a runaway chain reaction, fire, or explosion. I've never heard of such a thing with an Ecig, but battery's in general can and do have serious problems when overdrawn. To be on the safe side, i'd get a bigger and badder battery solution (mod) if those 1.7Ohm atty's are in your sweet zone. Better safe then sorry.

Leothwyn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2011
N. California
www.ci-studios.com
Thanks again for the info, and for being patient with my denseness about this stuff.
I am really enjoying this atty, so I'll upgrade my battery to be on the safe side (and it'll be nice to not have to switch batteries as often).

I have to admit that I'm still a little confused... if 3.7v @ 1.7Ohms = 2.17 Amps and (my battery) 280mAh would be .28A, then presumably I'd need 2170 mAh battery for things to match up. Isn't that HUGE battery? I was thinking the Riva with its 750 mAh battery would be a good step up.

Last edited:

gernsey

Apr 16, 2009
Earth, Milky Way
The other thing to consider is that you're not placing a constant draw on these devices. The device is off more often than it is on, If it where a constant draw of current in your situation a battery overheat and failure would almost certainly happen.

Because our Ecigs are off so much of the time there is larger tolerance on these things. If you where running something like an RC Car (or something that would run full draw for long periods) the tolerance would be much smaller.

I'm currently using a 3.7 1600mAh battery (Prodigy v3) I use 2.0Ohm cartas. So technically my batter is a little under rated. It should be 1850mAh at that resistance. But it certainly is "close enough".

A 3.7V 1600mAh battery is the same length as my thumb, slightly more narrow. Think AA battery on steroids.

I hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread