Status
Not open for further replies.

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA
Hey guys.

I run a strand of wick material through each coil, making sure not to get it too tight or too loose. Then I put a little under the coils and between the posts, wet it, and go back and push it down so it's not touching the outside of the coils.

I think this might be your problem. Extra wicking material, other than the strand that goes through the coils, really doesn't help (except it may reduce leaking if you over-drip). I'm guessing you have created spots where there's no airflow between the coil and the other wicking you've put into the head, and that's where it's burning, or just getting the e-liquid too hot.

Take out all the extra padding, and just wick through the coils, with sufficient tails.

metamorpheus

ECF Veteran
Jul 25, 2013
AZ
For tanks I prefer the bon AO(porous ceramic) wicks. I built a real nice dual coil orchid 4 with little bar wicks that touch hemp or cotton at the ends to prevent the flood. 25Ga, 7 wraps Ea, 0.4ohms. IMG_1803.jpg . The cutting work isn't the nicest, but hey I did it with dull needle files. That is determination and a lot of water. Thankfully I got new dremel bits to alleviate that problem. That tank was a beast, I was vaping on it for 2 1/2 weeks before needing to dry burn. The fact that I make juice and vape 15-20ml of 2mg a day is a testament to the longetivity that the ceramic provides. It is kind of like a cast iron skillet. At first there will be pockets of air that are replaced by juice as the stone heats. The residue that builds on the wire will fill any small gaps created by imperfections in the stone. If you have that one flavor you are crazy for I would give it a whirl. It seems to boost and mute the notes of your juice which can make it taste a lot different than you're used to.

IMG_1021.jpg
Old scrap piece flavor tester. It works decently with 24 Ga actually. Slower heat up time, but cleaner flavor.

IMG_1172.jpg
XC-116(ceramic fiber) when properly cleaned in a kiln works better than porous ceramic for drippers, but it's a different build. You basically wrap a coil around an 1/8" and get the wick wet with juice, roll it, and try twisting without pressing it into the coil. It's like a chinese finger trap at times and can be fussy about the amount of power to each wick because it retains more heat than cotton. It also has a break in period which some say is alleviated by boiling, but the break in is better than any other wick besides my extensively treated and brushed hemp. I would keep it at .6-.8 each coil and use 24 Ga. When wrapping around an eighth inch drill bit you get roughly .1ohms per wrap which makes things even easier as far as consistency is concerned. No need to worry about the uneven distribribution of soft fiber wicks.

IMG_1571.jpg
My hemp fiber wicks can last me 7-10 days of heavy abuse in a dripper. I love my hemp fiber. If you don't it's because you're tasting this in yours
IMG_1409.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread