Longest lasting rebuild coil type for Protank/EVOD etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

CosmicCatalyst

Dec 31, 2013
Evansville, IN
What is a consistently long lasting coil rebuild for Protanks/EVODs/Davide etc? I know that buying replacement coils is very hit or miss for any of them in longevity. I know there are threads about long lasting replacement coils for Protanks, but what is the best coil rebuild method to give the longest lasting coil? Like for example would a 5/6 wrapped 32g kanthal with silica outlast a microcoil with cotton? I guess to be very specific what has been your consistently longest lasting coil rebuild for protank style coil? Silica,cotton, SS, and what kind of wire and wrapping style, what kind of ohm reading?

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
So far in my maybe 3 months using protank type coils none of my coils have actually burnt out from usage - I busted 3 in the process or trying to rebuild/clean/dryburn;

So far I have only been soaking in hot water; and recently started doing over the flavor wicks with cotton; still experimenting with cotton.

I have at last 6 in active/standby use plus another 10 (10 kanger original) in unopened packaging, so I hope to be set for years hopefully, but at least months.

Leothwyn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2011
N. California
www.ci-studios.com
I suppose thicker gauge wire would be less likely to break in a cleaning... but if you mean longest lasting before needing a cleaning or anything else, then I'm not sure. It does seem to me that my coils need to be cleaned less often now that I'm using cotton instead of silica. Maybe since the cotton seems to wicker better/more consistently, there's less chance of the coil getting a little bit dry and burning some of the juice?

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Ceramic wick? Had to search that one. Maybe if I could find a ceramic wicking material that could wick effective and have better tensile strength to endure cleaning and replacing

Yeah I was thinking ceramic wick would never need changing so all you do is soak and dry burn, so as long as you don't literally burn out the coil, the atomiser should be workable; with silica rope wick, I think eventually it's gotta go; I know my flavor wicks seem to crumble or disintegrate easily; I think it might be more like fibre glass than silica rope and the thought of fibre glass wicks is kinda worrisome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread